Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The chrome bar on the trunk drives me nuts. I cringe every time I look at it.

Ive been told it's hard to paint over chrome because the paint doesn't stick. I'm not sure why it wouldn't stick if it was prepped correctly but w/e. 3 stage paint doesn't help much either.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get it painted or where to find one that comes already painted? sti is no good cause its not a pearl white

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
you can acid dip the part to removed the chrome and put the primer directly on plastic

For myself im planning on putting it dark chrome

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
There a shop around here that can chrome (plastic chrome) any piece of plastic in any colors range you want from normal chrome, too dark chrome to colors like blue red ect...

they have to removed the actual layer of chrome and after they put the new coating

·
Registered
44 Posts
what i did was take it off and i used oven cleaner to remove teh chrome it only takes a couple seconds to remove sand smooth, prime and paint body color only took a couple of hours when snow slows down here, im gonna do the stock front grill body color

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Oh... Ok. I think that I will wait on doing that one, It doesn't bother me any. The front grill, that is a different story, the car I bought didn't have the ugly chrome thing on, saved me some work.

·
Registered
954 Posts
what i did was take it off and i used oven cleaner to remove teh chrome it only takes a couple seconds to remove sand smooth, prime and paint body color only took a couple of hours when snow slows down here, im gonna do the stock front grill body color
did you use real paint out of a spray gun or did you spray can it? any pics?

·
Registered
44 Posts
wr blue in a can same with the clear once im done doing the stock grill ill go get some pics might be tommorrow though as by the tim e i get the grill done it will probely be dark out

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FYI for anyone with Satin White Pearl or Obsidian Black Pearl. They are both 3 stage paints. Which means that there are actually 3 different paints being applied. If something is re-painted it is harder to match. I just don't want anyone to bugger up their paint job.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
The STI strip does not come prepainted, but I am figuring out how much it costs to buy the unpainted one and then factor in the $100 to get it painted to my SWP. I also have been hearing it's a pain to paint the stock one because of the plastic. I want something to last and not have to do it yearly...

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
if you removed all the chrome and reach the bare plastic you wont have any problem..

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Well, it seems either way it will cost the same for me. I was quoted 150 for the paint if the chrome is there... 100 with none. 52.08 + shipping for the unpainted part. I'm thinking I may just order the part and send it to a friends dad back in MN. That way I wont be with out the strip while it's being painted by a trust worthy person.

·
Registered
81 Posts
http://www.3gwrx.com/forum/index.php?topic=935.0 -this is what i did to my car... it cost about 0 professionally but at least i know its done right and it wont start delaminating when the chrome decides to stop sticking to the plastic. they had to sand down the chrome piece pretty good and then paint. i think it looks much better!
Hey guys sorry for bumping up old topics but I was wondering if anyone can take a pic of taking the chrome bar out as I myself is worried about breaking a tail light to get it out. Any pics with detailed instructions would nice and would make a nice sticky. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Hey guys sorry for bumping up old topics but I was wondering if anyone can take a pic of taking the chrome bar out as I myself is worried about breaking a tail light to get it out. Any pics with detailed instructions would nice and would make a nice sticky. Thanks again.
Don't want to pull a me? :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
Don't want to pull a me? :D
Hahaha yea, I saw your thread and was like :eek: It's really easy and if I have the time to I'll post a tutorial for it. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts