Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone on here using them??... im ordering an accessport tomorrow and probably the clark turner stg 3 map soon after. if anyone wants to go in on it pm me...there $150...which isnt to bad....im not sure if they work like the perrin maps where you can share but i will find out. oh and btw the stage 3 maps are for a turboback, header, uppipe, and intercooler upgrades. so without those it would not be safe. here is a link to his thread on nasioc

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1516351&highlight=clark+turner

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
i am definitely interested because i live on an island so this is the only way for me to protune and apparently clark turner is THE MAN for the job. i need to know how much of an increase in #'s it will be first to see if it is worth it. my car is tuned stg2 right now so it would be more cost effective to get that mapping maybe instead. has clark turner stated what the stg3 map puts out trq/hp wise? do you know if there is a site where he has put the #'s up???

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i cant find any dyno charts with it..that has been the only downfall... i mainly just need a map tuned for a intercooler and header. from what everyone says the gains are pretty significant

·
Registered
19 Posts
Don't go to Clark for anything beyond a Stage 1 map and don't expect quick responses.

Do expect to be thrown under the bus and blamed for anything that is not your fault or you have no knowlege of or control over.

If you have a beyond Stage 1 setup, you had better have time, patience, money, alternate transportation and low expectations. If you have all of these, go ahead and email Clark.

Here is my experience.

At first I was really pleased. I purchased a stage 1 map for my 08 WRX on 7/29/08 and everything went smooth. The guy was nice, delivered fast and the car ran great.

Then I went stage 2. Clark is fast to take the money but extremely slow with support, if he supports you at all. When it came to taking the money, he accepted my PayPal payment in four hours and emailed the map right away. I gave him my list of mods which included just a downpipe and SPT CBE. This was on 10/24/08.

I was immediately overboosting and hitting the fuel cut. I called several times and got a voicemail each time. This was on 10/25/08. I requested either a phone call back or even a text message because I knew he was usually very busy.

After five days of no response, I decided to email. This was on 10/30/08. Three days after that (eight days after being ignored), I went back to stage 1. The other stage 2 OTS maps were not as smooth as Clark's stage 1. I didn't think Clark would ever respond and if he ever did, how long would I have to wait between sending maps and logs back and forth?

The next day (Nine days after my first request for assistance) Clark emails me and wants the map back to fix it.

I politely told him that I was going back to stage 1 and that I didn't think I'd ever hear back form him. I said I was not happy with the stage 2 map or the service. I didn't even ask for my money back because I knew he wouldn't give it back. I knew he would want to tweek the map and have me put my downpipe back on. I was tired of messing with it and didn't have the time or patience to mess with it. I was essentially quietly cutting my losses and just going to stay content with the nice Stage 1 map.

I thought that was the end of it, but then Clark emails me explaining that his Grandfather had to have open heart surgery and he had to drive to Nevada in the middle of the night and that all I care about is how my car runs. (how this took nine days I'm still not sure)

The part that upset me the most was Clark making me out to be a jerk. I had no idea what was going on in his personal life. Clark was making me out to be the bad guy.... I guess to make him feel better about keeping my money for crappy service and a crappy product.

I'm sure there will be people posting up saying Clark is great and they haven't had any problems with him. I wish I could be one of them. I'm sure a majority of people who use Clark's service will be content.

I just want people to know that if you use Clark's "services", there is a chance you will get screwed. That's business, I guess

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
casionerd, sorry about your bad experience. Clark Turner maps are cheap, and he's highly reputable in nasioc, as I'm sure you know. Unfortunately, you had this experience. As good as Mr. Turner may be, pro-tuning locally or somewhere not too far is usually the better solution.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Dude you should have just run the OTS stg2 map... your blaming him for having to pull off the DP when you could have temporally just run a map the AP came with....

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
It really does sound like all you care about is how your car runs. It seems he had personal business to take care of, and by no means is open heart surgery on a family member a one day, you're done type of thing. He was probably spending time with family and stuff after the fact and contacted you right when he got back.

Although I agree that he should have returned your calls at some point, I don't see how this is bad service when he offered to fix your tune. It was your fault for taking off the downpipe so hastily.

·
Registered
19 Posts
He ignored me for four days before he ever knew of the open heart surgery thing. He was back on his Nasioc post three days later saying he responded to all emails yet he continued to ignore me. I don't know if I said it before but I wanted a smooooooth stage 2 map. His stage 1 map was awesome and the service was awesome the first time around. The second time around he flat out ignored me for nine days. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8... then 9. The family issue he had took place on days 5, 6 and 7. I would rather have a nice smooth stage 1 OTS map than the Perrin or Cobb stage 2 maps. I ran them for at least two days each (I had time). I actually think Clark is a good tuner. My stage 1 map proves it IMO. I just don't think he's a good businessman and his customer service skills just suck. I paid 150.00 twice and got one good useable map. When I tried to fix it I get accused of being an insensative jerk. I was even cool with losing the money and everything because I got one good map out of the deal but when he tries to blame it on me....

Anyway, think whatever you want. If you had multiple OTS stage 2 maps and none of them felt as good as your stage 1 and the guy who is supposed to support your stage 2 map isn't responding, you'd probably take the DP too and go back to stage 1. Maybe you wouldn't. That's just the way I saw it.

I would still reccomend Clark's stage 1 map but nothing that involves his interaction or follow up because it's just not that good.... IMO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts