Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm very curious, since it snows here alot and there are lots of salts on the road during winter, do coils need to be cleaned often?
Seeing as how there are alot of adjustable parts on most coils, would they seize because of the salt build up?

·
Registered
988 Posts
I spray down my car in the winter alot b/c of salt. I would go to one of those self cleaning bays and spray down the car when you can. Try to aim the wand in the wheel well.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
+eleventy billion for CO not using salt :)... but for sure I would spray my car down on nicer days to get the salt off..

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I would do it as a preventative measure. Once a year I also tend to use silicone spray usually when replacing tires.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Doesn't Colorado still use Mag Chloride which is 10x worse than salt?

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Doesn't Colorado still use Mag Chloride which is 10x worse than salt?
I think, in some places maybe. Still, zero rust up here regardless of what they use. The trade-off is that you get beaten to hell on the highway due to the rock that they lay. Rock chips or rust, you tell me which is worst. It's a crapchute either way.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Yeah the magchloride is used up in the MTN towns and stuff like that.. And I dont know that it is 10x worse I know when I lived in PA rust sucked cuz of the salt but I have been here in CO since 96 and no rust on my cars...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
we have a combo of rocks and salt hahaha because i guess different roads have different needs

·
Registered
988 Posts
We have salt trucks that leave little salt hills in front of stop lights

·
Registered
954 Posts
just load up the threads with anti sieze

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm here in Grand Junction CO and over here they use mag chloride and some salt. Of course they also use sand. I've lived here my whole life and never had my cars rust. I do wash my cars in the winter whenever the weather clears.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts