Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"clicking" noise

i have a stock 08 wrx. i currently have about 10k miles on her, broke her in pretty well, and drive aggressively only on occasion. but when i do drive aggresively and get high up there on the tach around 5.5k-6k i sometimes hear a subtle but noticable "clicking" noise that happens for a quick second and stops. i don't feel any engine stress when i hear the noise, but it doesn't sound very appealing. anyone else experience this or know what causes this? thanks

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Re: "clicking" noise

I know exactly what you are talking about, all 3 of my imprezas did it/do it. Even my 08 does it.

I'm not exactly sure what it is though. I'm pretty sure it is not detonation because it just doesn't sound like what dets normally sound like. (Detonation normally sounds likes tiny ball bearings being shaken in an aluminum can, also called pinging)

It's also not a modded thing because I've heard it on a stock vehicles and modded vehicles both. It is also not turbo specific because all of my imprezas have been NA.

What type/weight of oil are you running?

It could be some sort of ticking which could get fixed with an oil with a higher hot viscosity.

P.S. I don't like the sound of it either, but I haven't had anything bad happen because of it with a combined 200k miles between the imprezas.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts

oh, well I can't be sure without hearing it myself.

take it to a dealer if you're worried.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts

Is your vehicle tuned? I think I remember you saying it was correct me if I am wrong.
If you are tuned and running the max efficient 17psi at that rpm, bearing lock might be happening. The small turbine bearing could me maxing out before the wastegate can reduce the exhaust flow. Check to see what happens to your boost at that moment and datalog it see if it freezes at one point.

Worth a try, and if this is the case, I would loosen the wastegate arm (counter clockwise) to reduce boost a bit and save your bearings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts