Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have an 08 hatch and just 4k miles. And the past few days my clutch feels like its grabbing with half the strength as before..... There is no slipping but its worrying me alot, any ideas????? ???

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
have you cooked it recently? sometimes when I accidentally cook the clutch it feels funny for a while. My brother cooked mine over thanksgiving, and it is just now getting back to normal.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah a little bit , but its been 2 days and its a little better. Think its going to make a full recovery?

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
pretty close most likely. I burned the clutch in my 08 a couple times when I first got it, and it recovered pretty well. My 09 seems to be pretty similar though it's only been cooked once. If you cooked it then just take it easy on it for a few more days, it should feel progressively better and feel pretty good again before too long.

It feels kind of slippery right after you cook it, and it grabs in a very non-linear way. No slippage, just like you described, just kind of weak, sloppy, somehow greasy feeling engagement. Is that about right?

That's one of two things I would change about this car. A more robust clutch, and cleaned up steering feel (it kind of feels noisy and you get a lot of unnecessary feedback). Though, those are pretty minor gripes imo.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pretty close most likely. I burned the clutch in my 08 a couple times when I first got it, and it recovered pretty well. My 09 seems to be pretty similar though it's only been cooked once. If you cooked it then just take it easy on it for a few more days, it should feel progressively better and feel pretty good again before too long.

It feels kind of slippery right after you cook it, and it grabs in a very non-linear way. No slippage, just like you described, just kind of weak, sloppy, somehow greasy feeling engagement. Is that about right?

That's one of two things I would change about this car. A more robust clutch, and cleaned up steering feel (it kind of feels noisy and you get a lot of unnecessary feedback). Though, those are pretty minor gripes imo.
Yup that sounds about right, it makes it wierd to shift but i almost find it smoother but i like the hard grab more... I hope it recovers!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
seems like its getting better and almost back to normal. im just hoping for a full recovery! :D

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
hmm... everytime something like this happens to me, the engagement is not smooth, and might stutter a bit. But does away after 2 or so days. A burnt clutch has an unmistakable smell, as does cooked brakes.

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
I like the clutch as it is. Once you find it's sweet spot, you can feather off of it pretty accurately with a nice launch forward!

I'm not a fan of stiff clutches for the very fact that the transmissions in these cars aren't very sturdy, especially in 02-03. The only time I would upgrade a clutch is if I floor it while the gear is engaged and it slips. Having a 'grabbier' clutch simply for the fact that it engages with more authority could be a bad idea for your drive train. Consider the immense amount of shock, stress, and vibration that travels through your clutch, gears, axles, etc... There is a lot of static resistance against your flywheel and an immediate shock can send a violent amount of stress through your gears and drive train. This car is most content with a feathered clutch slip, a gradual engagement that progressively lurches the car forward.

If you dump the clutch too quickly, you will stress the drive train and get a momentary pause or hesitation thanks to the static weight of the drive train the flywheel just encountered.

If you feather too slowly, you'll end up riding the clutch and cooking it way too easily!

The clutch has a sweet spot, and with more practice one will find it more than sufficient enough. Will it be good enough at 350 whp? I have no idea, but I will let you know if there's any issue at 300 whp when I get there... I can't imagine it not being sufficient for such modest power levels.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
i am just starting to get familiar w/ my clutch again. i just finished installing group n engine and tranny mounts now the clutch engagement is totally different. next day i left to return back to work. anywho... it engages more direct and consistant now to say the least. as i am still @ work... anyone else w/ upgraded mounts notice this and care to elaborate more?

i have had no problems w/ my stock clutch so far. knock on wood, poo poo poo and all that other witchcraft. i have smoked it twice so far by not engaging it fast enough and it has recovered well. my car was a 6000 km salesmans/demo car so who knows how it was broke in and how much damage/wear is already on the clutch. i can say i have 18000 kms (11000 miles) on it now, stage 2 for the last 6000 miles and it keeps on ticking... i do plan to upgrade flywheel/pressure plate/clutch and get rid of that dual mass stock flywheel as soon as i stop trusting this clutch or if it fails first. the ACT units seem decent and i might have to order one soon if my wife doesn't stop driving my car. i was looking @ a tilton clutch the other day online. piece of F'n artwork and it only costs your first born! i am going to go read up on it now.

to the OP

how's your clutch feel now? has stella got her groove back?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
to the OP

how's your clutch feel now? has stella got her groove back?
Its for sure a lot better. but i still think it used to grab harder, who knows it could just be me though. I dont think it will get any better then it is right now. And i have an access port in the mail with perrin's stage one map ;D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts