Subaru WRX Forums banner

541 - 560 of 565 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
The quicker way is what your tuner recommended

Mine is reinforced with 2 bolts and nuts and have held up over 2 years now
Nice, well done..I'm just waiting to get it into my guy...

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Thanks for the comment Hoonigan. To my knowledge, I have not heard/read of similar action against SOC. I'll be making some calls (which could be painful...)

When I initially called SOC they told me they were "not aware" of this issue... (ya right!) They directed me to bring it to a dealership, see what they say and then call them back. Also my tuning guy is offering to do a drill/rivet/reinforce on my next oil change. I'm on the fence now as to which is the better/quicker route... (?)

Cheers!
Really? I would direct them to the 500+ pages of complaints on the US SOA site plus the lawsuit page setup specifically for this issue. Hard to argue with years of complaints and facts.

Reactions: iamcraiger

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ya bud, I was surprised at the denial as well - my insurance broker wasn't, lol.. Do you have a link(s) to the aforementioned page? It's going into my guy next Friday regardless... Cheers & thanks Hoon

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Here is the lawsuit page set up specifically for this issue:
http://www.subarufirewallclassaction.com/

Subaru Impreza Problems, 2008 Subaru Impreza Complaints - Page #1

This is where you file your complaint: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Impreza Broken Clutch Bracket woes. | Smart Service Subaru Blog

The 08-14 Spot Welds Thread (How to Check Your Welds) - NASIOC

08+ Subaru WRX Firewall Class Action Lawsuit - NASIOC

This is just a sample of the 1000's of links of complaints about this known issue. There is no way in hell they can have any deniablity.

Reactions: iamcraiger

·
Registered
250 Posts
No i was about to say lol. As far as I know EVERY early 3rd gen has had this issue happen. I find it extremely hard to believe even in the canadian market that they are still cluelesd about the issue. Maybe 2 or 3 years ago but now....no

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Hope that helps and more than proves its a known issue.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just got a letter in the mail from Subaru titled "Important Notice: Warranty Extension For Pedal Bracket Cracks or Breakage Around the Spot Welds on 2008, 2009, and early production 2010 WRX or STI".

Given that I'm at ~85k miles I don't think it's going to help, but I'm going to call about it anyway. Here's how the first paragraph reads.

This letter is to notify you that the original limited warranty of three (3) years/36,000 miles has been extended to four (4) years/48,000 miles (an additional twelve (12) months or 12,000 miles) for your vehicle's pedal bracket. If you paid to have the pedal bracket repaired for cracks or breakage around the spot weld(s) within the original limited warranty period or newly extended warranty period, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Refer to the instructions below for inspection & repair procedures and the reimbursement eligibility requirements and procedures.
Since I'm driving an '08, I'm well over the "new" 4 year/48,000 mile warranty, but I'm going to see if I can get it inspected and repaired anyway. Just thought you guys would like an update; it seems like they've finally listened.

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
aUD2b9x.jpg

guy on Nasioc got the same letter, about damn time.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Ya about dam time, minus the fact im sure 90% of owners with the affected years are pretty far out of that warranty which is pointless and stupid. They should be fixing it regardless

I don't know why this bothered me so much lol

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
I heard this is only a type of extended warranty only good for vehicles under 48k miles.....anyone else read that in their notice? Basically paying you back if you payed out of pocket to fix the firewall/clutch issue

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
If you spent any money on repairs, SOA will reimburse you. It is my understanding that all 08-10 owners have one year from the letter posting to get your shit repaired if it has symptoms and damages.

I was a class rep, I've had the repair twice and I need to contact SOA about a little reimbursement myself.

·
Registered
250 Posts
If you spent any money on repairs, SOA will reimburse you. It is my understanding that all 08-10 owners have one year from the letter posting to get your shit repaired if it has symptoms and damages.

I was a class rep, I've had the repair twice and I need to contact SOA about a little reimbursement myself.
I haven't recieved the letter yet, hopefully I do.
So even if i still haven't paid for it yet, they'll reimburse?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just to follow up.... After opening it up we discovered 4 broken welds making the nasty noise. It's been drilled out, bolted, reinforced and its better than new...awesome!

...its not limited to 08-10 either, we're seeing/hearing it on all 08+ wrx & and sti... ymmv, f*kn disappointing...

Here's video of the dastardly holes and nasty squeak on my wrx

https://instagram.com/p/3hNLQekPUb/

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
I got my letter in the mail last week. It does state you can get reimbursed but only in you were under 48k miles. That seems like a slap in the face. Luckily I had mine fixed before SOA decieded to make this a half ass recal letter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I have a 11 WRX hatch n just went over 50k n I've heard this squeak for some time now... Didn't think it was a big deal till I read this tread... Crazy it's been going on since 08 n they haven't fixed it yet WTF!?? So from what I've read it looks like these bastards are going to make me pay out of pocket for this bs?? Cause I haven't received any letters??

·
Registered
250 Posts
So I have a 11 WRX hatch n just went over 50k n I've heard this squeak for some time now... Didn't think it was a big deal till I read this tread... Crazy it's been going on since 08 n they haven't fixed it yet WTF!?? So from what I've read it looks like these bastards are going to make me pay out of pocket for this bs?? Cause I haven't received any letters??
Check the welds first so you make sure its just not the spring making noise

541 - 560 of 565 Posts