Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Just wondering if people might be experiencing the same thing. I've had my WRX for about a month now. It currently has about 1,300 miles on it. Anyway, I've been experiencing some issues with the clutch lately. About 2 weeks ago (@600 miles), my clutch starting making this squeaky swooshing noise whenever I disengaged and engaged the clutch. It also started to grind a bit as well. Before all of this, the clutch engagement/disengagement was smooth, and the clutch was quiet as mouse. Since it first starting making the sounds, it'll squeak randomly, but now makes more of the swooshing noise and does not engage/disengage as smoothly as before. I'd been driving my car rather smoothly even with the initial "issues" with my clutch up until a couple of days ago. A few of days ago, the clutch became definitely harder to disengage than before, and is not as responsive and the catchpoint all of a sudden changed as well. I now have to really step down on the clutch where before, the catchpoint was a little above halfway. I hadn't stalled for awhile now, but stalled 3 times the other day due to these recent problems that came up a few days ago.

Anyone else experiencing these issues? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Mine is just now starting to make almost a belt squeling noise when I engange/disengage the clutch. Having a free lifetime powertrain warranty I already made an appointment to get it looked at next week. I'll let you know what they find.

·
Registered
85 Posts
You have a hydraulic clutch, check your fluid level. If you have a leak that can explain all your symptoms.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Scottjal, just spoke with a subie service guy and he mentioned it might be a hydraulic issue or maybe might need clutch replacement (ugh). Sleeping, yeah, give updates. My appointment is next wednesday and will give update then.

EDIT: Checked the fluid level and it's fine. Near the max mark. Today the catchpoint returned to where it was before, however, it's been a floating one at that the past few days...

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
A lot of people seem to come up with that trouble lately hopefully my 2.5I won't as of now it seem that only wrx have the trouble maybe related to the power difference try to keep this post as clean as possible and post all useful info you get we'll make a Sticky for all future users

·
Registered
327 Posts
The update from me won't be for a bit. It hasn't done it again yet...and with the rumor that the SPT exhaust will be released Friday I really don't want to make more trips to the dealer than necessary(being 30 minutes and 1/4 tank of gas away) I will just reschedule for when they get the exhaust in and I can pick it up.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE:

Just got back from the dealer. Well, they said that there wasn't anything abnormal and the clutch is fine. Supposedly, the cause for the "gritty" feel and squeaks is the coating on the clutch disc. They stated that the noise and "issues" I've had with the clutch should go away, once the car and everything else is broken in at the 4,500 mile mark. The car currently has about 1,450 miles on it so we'll see. They also stated that with a hydraulic clutch system, that the engagement point will tend to float. Is this true? The only other manual I've had had the old mechanical clutch system.

The strange thing is a week ago, the clutch was acting like crap and really acting up with alot of gritty feel, making alot of noise, and really bad floating engagement points, however, it's been rather relatively normal the past couple of days, so we'll see...Hopes this helps others as well.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Thanks for the update. I also have the squeaking issue.... however, I dont have problems with grinding. The engagement point hasnt changed. I only get that noise when the car is cold. Once the car's temp goes up a little, it goes away.... very odd.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also posted this on ClubWRX:

Just a quick update. I experienced a high yesterday to a low today. For some reason, yesterday, the clutch decided to go back to how it was originally and was perfect. Made absolutely no noise when disengaging and engaging and was "gritty" feel free. I loved it, made shifting smooth as butter and made the car quick and nimble.

Man! However, today, it was crappy as hell. Made loud almost grinding/swooshing sound everytime clutching in and out, and the clutch felt really stiff and gritty. It was not responsive at all and the car drove really heavy, much worse than when the AC is turned on. The car had no acceleration at all, rather it had less acceleration than normal. This is starting to get ridiculous. Next time I take it in, I'll definitely take the advice of requesting I go with them on a ride along in my car and then compare it to a brand-new car on their lot. If they tell me nothing is wrong with the clutch again, there'll be a problem...Anyone else having similar experience?

·
Registered
328 Posts
My car has about 9,500 miles on it and it recently started to make a whistling/bell sound. When i push the clutch down it goes away. Im not sure what it is, but i hope its nothing serious.

·
Registered
52 Posts
^^^ My car is now doing the same exact thing....12,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
7200 miles, VF40 swap and no clutch problems :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
My car has 2100 miles on it and no sounds but the pedal feels gritty when I push the clutch in. It just started doing this yesterday. Once I drive for a few minutes it starts feeling normal again- all the gritty goes away. With the rest of you did your clutch get better with time? I am hoping this is just breaking in and is not a problem! Before yesterday the clutch always felt smooth.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Maybe this is normal but Ive got a little over 4k miles on my rex and every now and then Ill go to put the car into first gear its not always smooth, as I put it into first it sometimes feels a bit gritty. Is this normal?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My car has 2100 miles on it and no sounds but the pedal feels gritty when I push the clutch in. It just started doing this yesterday. Once I drive for a few minutes it starts feeling normal again- all the gritty goes away. With the rest of you did your clutch get better with time? I am hoping this is just breaking in and is not a problem! Before yesterday the clutch always felt smooth.
This is what I've been experiencing since the 600 mile mark. However, the "gritty" feel doesn't go away. Recently though, the "gritty" feel has lessened and I'll get the occasional ride where it's smooth clutching in. This being said, it's still occurs much to frequently.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Maybe this is normal but Ive got a little over 4k miles on my rex and every now and then Ill go to put the car into first gear its not always smooth, as I put it into first it sometimes feels a bit gritty. Is this normal?
I might be wrong but I think what you are talking about is normal. I thought I had read somewhere that first and second gears are double sincros(sp?) which will make it feel like that. Not sure so I might be wrong.

·
Registered
84 Posts
This is what I've been experiencing since the 600 mile mark. However, the "gritty" feel doesn't go away. Recently though, the "gritty" feel has lessened and I'll get the occasional ride where it's smooth clutching in. This being said, it's still occurs much to frequently.
Well I don't like that answer. I guess we just live with it and when the time comes to replace, if it comes, then subaru can take care of it or upgrade if any are available. So far mine gets better after driving for a little while. If nothing is wrong then I guess just get use to it. Maybe it has something to do with the throw out bearing- I don't know!

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Had my clutch replaced at 3000 or so. Now at 16,000 and feeling great.
Would you mind elaborating a bit a as to what caused for you to get your clutch replaced? It'd be great to know. Thanks.
Well, for all I know it could have been defective or it could have been the fact I was driving with snowboard boots. :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts