Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all:

I just experienced some fairly substantial clutch slippage on my WRX this afternoon for the first time ever. Basically, when mashing the gas in 3rd and 4th gears, the rpms are shooting up rapidly without a corresponding increase in speed. Also, my clutch pedal is getting softer when I press it in and the whole car reeks of burning clutch. My question is WTF?? I checked the clutch fluid levels and they seem to be fine. My car was bought new in October and now has 8730 kms on it and I know how to drive a stick: I put over 50 kms on my last car, a 1999 Honda Accord which was on the original clutch when I bought it at 154,000 kms. Obviously, there's more strain on the clutch with a high-powered AWD car but seriously? The only mods I have are related to handling, not performance so it's not like I'm juiced up too much for the stock clutch. Has anyone else experienced anything like this at all?? I'm gonna let it cool down for a few hours and hopefully it won't be an issue but if it continues to be, I'm going back to the dealership to bitch? Maybe it just needs to be adjusted or something? I would REALLY appreciate any feedback from my fellow WRX owners. Thanks

·
Registered
700 Posts
no problems really with mine and i have done quite a few launchs and drive really hard more then i should. it smells so bad when it does burn though. bring it back to the dealer. could just be a defect in the clutch or the clutch plate.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I hate to say it, but that sounds (esp the burning smell) like the tell tale signs of a spent clutch. Which is really sad with the low miles, because that would indicate the car went though some serious abuse before you bought it :-[

edit: If you go to the dealership... play nice, they will be more likely to help you out ;) Hope it goes well

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it could be, because of the previous owner too, maybe he launched it every light?
Sorry, I realized that I didn't express that quite right: I am the original owner: I bought it new in October and it NOW has 8730 kms on it. I'm just kind of choked because this car is brand new and from what I've read, Subarus are quite reliable. I wonder if It needs to be adjusted or something because I don't understand how a brand-new clutch could be worn to point of slipping, especially when I haven't been bagging the shit out of it!!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Oh, it was yours from the start? :p Then I would def. take it back to get looked at under warranty ;D

·
Registered
549 Posts
take it to the dealer! 08 is the first year of this car so i wouldn't be suprise if theres any problems..

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
***UPDATE***

Just drove it again this evening. Clutch is slipping and smelling WORSE than before in every gear now! Could barely get it going in 1rst gear from a stop!! I think I'm going to have it towed to the dealership tomorrow: don't want to risk driving it there and making things worse. I remembered that earlier today, I was driving on the highway when I heard a brief metallic 'ping' sound. I wasn't driving it hard either: just loping along in 5th at 100 kms on the highway. The clutch started slipping shortly after that. I just hope Subaru Canada and the dealership don't try to jerk me around on this and say that it's due to my driving style. Even if I did 2-3 full-throttle drop-clutch starts every day (which I don't) there is no excuse for a clutch with less than 9000 kms on it to be worn like this. I hope that my car is an isolated incident and that nobody else has this problem. Regardless, it will interesting to see how Subaru handles any warranty issues with the new '08's.

·
Registered
700 Posts
subaru should have no problem to warranty it with low miles. sux man. let us know how you make out

·
Registered
5 Posts
Clutchs are not covered under the subaru warranty. they are very specific about it and even say as much in the brochure.

I would say your in for a bill from subaru, at best for parts only!

·
Registered
5 Posts
The car has done 8400KMs if the clutch wasnt seated correctly then this would have shown up before now. As he has continued to drive it so that now the car wont move in 1st then i would say he will now need a new flywheel as well as the clutch. Just my opinion.

I think your going to feel some resistance from subaru but stick with it, deny any fast starts and hopefully you wont have to pay the labour.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just heard back from the dealer--they pulled the transmission and they found that the clutch is toast!! At this point I want to say something: I don't bag the shit out of my car. I know that it seems likely that I have abused the car for the clutcn to be this worn but honestly, I haven't. Yes, I have driven it hard at times but no more so than I'm sure most of the rest of you have occasionally. I mean, for christ's sake, I bought a WRX because it's a performance car and I wanted to drive it like one sometimes!! Now even when I get my car back, I'm nervous to drive the damn thing like anything other than a grandma. this car is not my first standard either: to put it in perspective,my last car was a 1999 Honda Accord that I bought used with 154,000 kms on it that was on the ORIGINAL clutch. I then out another 50,000 kms on it before the factory clutch needed to be replaced. Half the reason that I am posting this is that I want other 08 WRX owners to be aware. I hope that mine is just an isolated incident but if it's not and other people experience this problem, I want them to be aware. There was a guy on NASIOC with an 2008 who had his clutch go at 5000 miles and then again at 12,000 miles. Both times Subaru covered it under warranty. Anyway, the Subaru Canada rep is coming in tomorrow and he needs to authorize any clutch replacements under warranty. Regardless, because it's an 08, they don't have any parts in stock, so I have to wait a fucking week for a new clutch. There is no way that I'm paying for this: I was out of town for a month and a half from mid-Jan to the end of Feb. and the car was just sitting there, undriven!! I don;'t rally or drag-race the damn thing so again, WTF!!?? Half the reason that I bought a Subaru was their well-known reliability.

PS: The weirdest part was the fact that up to the point when it started slipping, right after I heard that strange noise, she was driving fine, no slippage no problems at all!! How does a clutch go from no slippage at all to so slipping so badly that I had to have it towed to the dealership overnight????

·
Registered
5 Posts
It does sound strange to fail like that...

The noise you heard is whats puzzling me.. thrust bearing or a spring popping out of its location are possiblities. Or the rivits of the clutch plate rubbing on the flywheel once all the material wore off.

Stand your ground with them and hope they will do the right thing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Any updates? What happened with your car? I saw it sitting outside the dealership last week when I drove past.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just wanted to let you know that at about 17000km's my clutch started slipping badly (would shoot up from 2000 to 4000rpms with no power to the wheels) took it to the dealer and 3 days later they did clutch tests (stall testing by doing 3000rpm clutch dumps with the brakes on) they said it passed with no problems. So I told them no that's not normal, I took the service manager for a quick drive, showed him the slippage, "oh that's normal" he says. right buddy.... so on the drive home I go up a hill, it slips all the way to red line going 60km/h in 3rd and starts burning clutch. I had to gear down to reduce the burning since I was in alot of traffic. Then on the way back it ill rev all the way to red line with no power at all. I had to have Subaru Roadside Assistance Tow it. They still didn't believe me.

After a week and a half they informed me that Subaru Canada would cover the cost of repairs

This was April 18th that I took it in and it died. It's May 5th and they STILL haven't got the clutch fixed. They can't tell me when parts are going to be in. They can't even tell me what week I'll have the car back. This is Milestone Subaru in Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada. Seriously I'm getting really angry, I haven't been offered a courtesy/loaner car or anything. They got the clutch in May 1st and they somehow forgot to check the flywheel after pulling the clutch twice. Apparently it can't be resurfaced so I'm now waiting on a new flywheel. Even though I'm not paying for it this has got to be the worst service I have ever received. Is Subaru always this bad? I don't drive it that hard, I'm usually in gear if I'm pushing it I try not to clutch dumps, don't ride the clutch, don't grind while shifting, don't slip the clutch and do high rev take offs, most of the time on the car is highway km's anyways. I did notice that it smelled like burning during cold weather but I figured it was because it was new/cold and it would break in.

So they now expect the flywheel in on May 7th so I might maybe get the Car May 8th.

Other than the clutch failing and the piss poor service I love the car and I just ordered a set of the jdm pink springs from SGP and possibly a Cobb AP soon with a set of BFG KDW2's (it rains alot back on the west coast).

Just wanted to say you're not alone here. I've heard rumours from people around here that the '08 WRX's are having some clutch/tranny issues, any truth to this?

Cheers

Hello all:

I just experienced some fairly substantial clutch slippage on my WRX this afternoon for the first time ever. Basically, when mashing the gas in 3rd and 4th gears, the rpms are shooting up rapidly without a corresponding increase in speed. Also, my clutch pedal is getting softer when I press it in and the whole car reeks of burning clutch. My question is WTF?? I checked the clutch fluid levels and they seem to be fine. My car was bought new in October and now has 8730 kms on it and I know how to drive a stick: I put over 50 kms on my last car, a 1999 Honda Accord which was on the original clutch when I bought it at 154,000 kms. Obviously, there's more strain on the clutch with a high-powered AWD car but seriously? The only mods I have are related to handling, not performance so it's not like I'm juiced up too much for the stock clutch. Has anyone else experienced anything like this at all?? I'm gonna let it cool down for a few hours and hopefully it won't be an issue but if it continues to be, I'm going back to the dealership to bitch? Maybe it just needs to be adjusted or something? I would REALLY appreciate any feedback from my fellow WRX owners. Thanks

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
if the repair is taking this long they owe you a loaner car... I'd call and demand one or tell them you're going to call the subaru corporate offices to complain

·
Registered
4 Posts
no doubt, I've asked for one a few times they "just don't have one" that I can use. I ordered those sti pink springs so maybe I'll get them to install those and do an alignment for free plus a free oil change or something. I have a car that I can use for now. I don't really have any experience with warranty repairs so I'm probably getting screwed. Ahh well we'll see what they say about the free service stuff.

if the repair is taking this long they owe you a loaner car... I'd call and demand one or tell them you're going to call the subaru corporate offices to complain

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
if they don't have one then they can pay for a 3rd party rental for you...

dealers have money. don't let them make you feel like the bad guy.

if you have one you can use then I guess it isn't a big deal, but if it were me (my car is my only car that I can drive daily) and it were taking this long, I'd be making some noise.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts