Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I loaded the COBB stage 1 91 octane last week, and I've probably driven 200 miles or so since then. I'm noticing in the last 175 miles or so, I'm getting a much louder growl between 3k and 5k. Is this normal? I like hearing the engine and all, but I wasn't expecting this. I think I need to hook the thing up and collect some live data to see if it's throwing any codes. No check engine lights and the car definately feels faster so I'm hoping it's ok (?)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Well I've got the Perrin 93 oct and, no growl or anything. Sounds about the same as stock... Is your vin affected by that recall? Hope you are safe :-\

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I loaded the COBB stage 1 91 octane last week, and I've probably driven 200 miles or so since then. I'm noticing in the last 175 miles or so, I'm getting a much louder growl between 3k and 5k. Is this normal? I like hearing the engine and all, but I wasn't expecting this. I think I need to hook the thing up and collect some live data to see if it's throwing any codes. No check engine lights and the car definately feels faster so I'm hoping it's ok (?)
I have noticed the same thing... About 2 months ago I went to the OTS Cobb stage I. If I run 2nd gear in the higher rpms I hear a growl, it sounds kind of cool. I have done some logging and as of right now my logs are not showing any knock. If you are worried about do some data logging. It is a good way to see what your motor is doing in light of this "Stop Sale" "Recall" "VIN #"whet ever the he!! it is situation.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I drove around Irvine last night for an hour seeing if the car threw any error codes and it never did. The car runs awesome, it just sounds louder. I got nervous enough that I finally uninstalled my AP and the noise went away. I'm gonna email COBB and see if they can make me feel any better about it.

How do I do the data logging and what do I look for in terms of knock?

Edit: Ugh AP's don't support data logging I guess. Closest I can get is watching the DA and seeing how low it goes.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No knock! My DA never dropped below zero buzzing around Irvine (I have nothing to do on this business trip except drive my car around). I'm pretty happy to know that the engine growl is just that. Actually a bonus!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I drove around Irvine last night for an hour seeing if the car threw any error codes and it never did. The car runs awesome, it just sounds louder. I got nervous enough that I finally uninstalled my AP and the noise went away. I'm gonna email COBB and see if they can make me feel any better about it.

How do I do the data logging and what do I look for in terms of knock?

Edit: Ugh AP's don't support data logging I guess. Closest I can get is watching the DA and seeing how low it goes.
I am data logging right now... look at post # 9.... I created a writeup on how to data log on the 08's

http://www.3gwrx.com/forum/index.php?topic=864.0

Let me know if you have any questions...

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts