Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm not sure if you guys are aware, but cobb released a firmware update for the accessport. I've had my accessport for nearly 5 years, so I was due to update the firmware. During the update process with the accessport manager software, I got an error. I called up cobb and told them issue. They told me to try a few things to see if it would resolve the issue - try a different USB cord, try another computer, restart original computer, reinstall software on original computer. None of those worked. So they told me to send the accessport in.

About a week later, I get this email:

Hello Cory,I have just heard back from my engineering team and he has informed me that this is an issue with the USB side of the board.
Unfortunately, we were not able to recover the custom maps from the device, but if you contact your tuner they should be able to send them to you again.
If you would like to replace your Accessport I can upgrade you to the V2b for $150, or to the latest V3 for $325.
Let me know what you would like to do and we will make it happen!
Thank you,

Drew Gorrie

Then I reply

Hi Drew
Thank you for getting back to me regarding my Accessport issue.

A few things come to mind given this whole issue and experience-

·I would have expected a piece of electronic equipment that I paid almost $700 for to last longer than this. This is especially true since I have flashed my WRX with it no more than a dozen times, and have connected it to the car to log and monitor the motor no more than two dozen times, and this is over the course of my five years of ownership of the device. Other than that, the Accessport has been stored away neatly in its original box in a kitchen drawer, and not left in the car with the heat/cold. I mean damn, I have cheaper computer equipment that is older than this and has been functioning and is still functioning just fine.

·Given my current track record/experience with the Accessport thus far, do you think it would really be wise to get another one, which might just die in a few years as this did? Currently, my confidence in this product, its worth, and its longevity has dropped quite a bit.

·The map that is currently in use on my car, and which is stored on the Accessport in your possession is a special OTS map for my particular set-up. Since this incident developed, I tried desperately to find the location of the stored Accessport maps on my computer, only to realize they were lost during my computer crashes, hard drive reformats, and therefore reloading of the Windows. Since I cannot retrieve the map from the Accessport, I will have to spend additional money ($89) to purchase another OTS map.

·Lastly, given my very limited options, if I were to not proceed with another Accessport, how can my car be unmarried?

I am not trying to come across as rude or aggressive in any way; I am just hoping you can understand my concerns with the amount of money spent on this little device and the usage that I got out of it. It is not like I dropped the Accessport, abused it, threw it, or left it in the car with the heat/cold. It was working perfectly fine until I installed COBB’s Accessport firmware upgrade, which then rendered it useless and turned it into a paperweight. I enjoyed the convenience and capability of the Accessport when I used it. Therefore, I would like to inquire if something better can be worked out for me in terms of a repair/replacement instead of a trade-in purchase which is already available to anyone and everyone via your website.

Thank you and I look forward to your reply.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Then I get back from someone else:

Cory,I know you were talking to Drew earlier, but this wound up in my inbox for whatever reason, so I will step in here.
Josh(from engineering) looked at your AP and told us that your AP was broken on the inside, specifically on the board where the USB port connects to it. Our AccessPorts come with a 1 year warranty, but you're obviously outside of said warranty as you mentioned below you've had the AP for 5 years. I do apologize for the frustration as I understand you haven't used it but a few dozen times, but it is a 5 year old electronic device. Also, the AP was probably already dead when you tried to update the firmware, and when doing so, this became apparent. This makes sense due to the fact that the update is processed via your USB port on your AP.
As far as solving your problem goes, I understand Drew gave you the option of either upgrading to a V2b for $150 or trading your V2 AP in for a V3 for $325. Upgrading to a V2b would give you a whole new board without the dongle and with an actual OBD2 cable port. It is far more reliable and it does come with another 1 year warranty. As far as the V3 trade in goes, I know you said this sounds like a deal we would give to just anybody, but that's not true. The V2 has to be uninstalled from your vehicle in order to be eligible for a V3 trade-in, and Drew still gave you the option to do so anyway, which is something we don't really do for anybody. We will make an exception for you, though.
As far as unlocking your ECU goes, you could send your ECU to us for us to load the factory tune back on to it. You could run your factory tune with factory parts for now on, if you were interested in going that route. Our labor rates are $80/hour for doing ECU work, and the rate is never really more than 2 hours.
I understand you said you haven't used the AP but a dozen or so times over the past 5 years, but you have to understand that you actually have used the AP every day since the day you installed it on your vehicle. The AccessPort is not just a $650 electronic device. In fact, the electronic device is really only half the cost of the AP, the other half of the cost is the license which has been locked to your ECU. Therefore, the tune/license you flashed to your car has been used every day for the last 5 years.
I understand that you're not trying to come across as aggressive(which I do appreciate), and I'm certainly not trying to come off as apathetic to your situation or aggressive in return, I'm simply trying to explain to you your options from here. I want you to be happy and I want to do everything in my power to get you back on the road again with some extra HP, because we honestly do care about our customers here. It's my job to make sure you customers are happy. Unfortunately, we can't just hand everybody brand new AccessPorts every time they break when broken outside of their warranty. I'm a "yes" guy, so I would really love to do that... but unfortunately, I love having my job and being able to pay rent far more than I love saying "yes" to everything.
So, Cory, please just let me know what you want to do from here and I will do what I can to make it suck as little as possible for you. I promise I will do my best to do so.
Thank you,

TJ Warmington

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I am just curious to hear thoughts on this issue before I send another reply. Basically what they're telling me is that since my accessport was 5 years old, it had an expiration date like it wasn't supposed to last that long from the get-go. For something that I barely used, they're manufacturer must be pretty shitty for this thing to just suddenly die. I know some companies intentionally manufacturer crap that will eventually fail so the consumer can go back and "upgrade" to a newer version some years later for even more money.

The trade in deal they offered me IS LISTED on their website and is available to anyone wishing to upgrade their old accessport, so I still don't think the option their giving me is fair. I understand the warranty is long expired, but my accessport died during an update with THEIR software. Who knows if they built some crap into the software to intentionally disable my accessport forcing me to have to pay more for another.

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
OMG! This is a fucking scary thought..I also have the V2 but I haven't upgraded the firmware in a long time. This makes me wonder if I should be prepared if the same thing happens to mine?

I haven't personally handled the V3 yet, I'm assuming its of the same cheap plastic quality on the outside with just a pretty screen thats bigger. I'm also assuming this is a marketing strategy to make us buy newer versions if the warranty is only for 1 year on a $500-700 product that its destined to break thereafter. In that situation I think they should test that firmware on other V2's first to see if the same results happen. 2nd if they offer the upgrade to the V3, they should put the newer firmware pre-installed that way its on them again even though it would be technically under warranty.

Holy shit this is not good news for us AP owners...

·
Registered
217 Posts
feel bad for your situation cuz ultimately its gonna come out of your pocket in the end. my suggestion:

-talk with eric as he has a pretty good system for saving various maps for his customers. theres a chance (maybe small) that hes still got your revised map somewhere on his computer with the other 100,000 that hes done. my revised maps always came back with my email address and then a revision number or details about what was changed. worth a shot
-send that map to Cobb and make them responsible for getting it on the accessport that you will ultimately have to purchase (i vote for the cheap one cuz like you i rarely ever use mine either). so when its back in your hand you should be good to go and only out the 150.

i leave my accessport in the glove box 100% of the time. heat cycles and stiff suspension for about 3 years now. i'm doomed

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I sincerely hope it's not a marketing strategy and hope this happens to no one else.
I and contemplating posting this on nasioc since there is a lot more exposure and especially since Cobb is on there

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
feel bad for your situation cuz ultimately its gonna come out of your pocket in the end. my suggestion:

-talk with eric as he has a pretty good system for saving various maps for his customers. theres a chance (maybe small) that hes still got your revised map somewhere on his computer with the other 100,000 that hes done. my revised maps always came back with my email address and then a revision number or details about what was changed. worth a shot
-send that map to Cobb and make them responsible for getting it on the accessport that you will ultimately have to purchase (i vote for the cheap one cuz like you i rarely ever use mine either). so when its back in your hand you should be good to go and only out the 150.

i leave my accessport in the glove box 100% of the time. heat cycles and stiff suspension for about 3 years now. i'm doomed
thank you for the suggestions. i hadnt even thought about getting in touch with eric.

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
one on my groups commented on your situation I thought he might have hit the nail on the head with this: Working with communication for the last three years as an infantryman. This sounds to me as in the firmware that they have in placed a virus that fries the USB board in a sense breaking it to get the V2 out of cars and get the v3 out and allowing them more money .

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
one on my groups commented on your situation I thought he might have hit the nail on the head with this: Working with communication for the last three years as an infantryman. This sounds to me as in the firmware that they have in placed a virus that fries the USB board in a sense breaking it to get the V2 out of cars and get the v3 out and allowing them more money .
wow that's crazy but i could believe it

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
So let me get this straight... If I fry my V2 before I unmarry it from my current ecu. I have to send me ECU to Cobb even though I'm not using their maps, have them charge me the $80/hr for 2 hrs plus pay for the upgrade to the V3 which is about full retail anyway once you add the labor and "upgraded" V3?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts