Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I have the Cobb SS installed and I got the shifter bushing installed too. The bushings make a real difference.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i just got done putting my cobb ss w/ am bushings and have a couple of questions. is it hard to get it into the lower gears (2,4,R). especially 2nd? and is it normal to hear the gears "winding up" more in the cabin of the car? once again especially 2nd?
i also noticed when i get ready to down shift into second i can hear a whining noise even before i actually put into gear.
overall it just seems like i hear new noises now? anybody else experience this?

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
You might have it set too high on the Cobb, so it is not going into gear properly. Make an adjustment to the Cobb SS.

·
Registered
28 Posts
ive tried that and if i put it to far down it wont go into 2, 4, or R at all, but if i put it up to high then the shifter linkage will rub on the rubber piece and wear that down, not to mention make a noise.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Did you put it in backwards? Just thought that I would ask, not to make you upset. Set it to the same height as the stock one. Also, remove the rubber boot that is there and see if that makes a difference. If not then it might be something else that the dealer would have to look at.

·
Registered
28 Posts
well i just raised it up a little and now it seems to work fine but in order to raise it up high enough for it to work the shift linkage is rubbing a little bit on that little rubber gasket. but i just put a little grease on that and it took care of the noise. thanks guys.

·
Registered
28 Posts
went out of town for the weekend and now i have a louder noise it sounds like you can hear the gears through the shifter if that makes any sense. maybe its normal but is anyone else experiencing this? its not really loud the only time i can hear it is when the stereo is all the way down.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Put mine in last night. Functionally, seem good. I thought that the bushings had a little more gap than necessary. After I put the bushings in, and the tabbed washer over and re-tightened there was some play in it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have noticed it now too... I feel like taking the Cobb out and putting the stock one back in.
I am curious if Cobb assumed that the Legacy bushing were the same and maybe ended up being a tad narrower. Either way, I am not happy with the bushings.

·
Registered
28 Posts
wow at least im re leaved that im not the only one now. im gonna try to leave the cobb shifter in and just take the bushings out and replace with stock one and see if that takes care of the noise. il let you know.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i just spent the last 2 hours putting the factory rubber bushing back in and so far i dont hear the noise anymore, and to be honest i really dont feel a difference with the factory vs. the cob bushings. so so far it seems like a win win. il keep you posted.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks. You are kidding about the two hours right? There is a short cut to doing it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
unfortunately im not kidding it took me two hours and i have about a million cuts all over both of my hands. :'( but still no noise. ;D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts