Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
That is probably mostly due to the sways. Springs will improve handling a bit, but not nearly enough to warrant the extra wear on the shocks. Springs alone are primarily for looks imo, depending on the dampening on the shocks they are being put on. The dampening on the impreza and wrx (08) shocks is pretty pathetic imo.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I've been thinking about switching to the cobb sways..... they seem pretty nice.

does their kit come with end links?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is probably mostly due to the sways. Springs will improve handling a bit, but not nearly enough to warrant the extra wear on the shocks. Springs alone are primarily for looks imo, depending on the dampening on the shocks they are being put on. The dampening on the impreza and wrx (08) shocks is pretty pathetic imo.
Well i'm wondering if they would eventually offer a new set of shocks to compliment the rates of the springs similar to a cup kit that H&R offered for my old car. Do you know of any companies that offer spring/shock combos for the 08 WRX HB?

·
Registered
577 Posts
none as of yet...

I think Koni has some struts coming out.

·
Registered
75 Posts
They actually maintain quite a bit of suspension travel. The stock shocks provide more dampening as the spring is more loaded; I think they are valved super soft for low speed loading, and quasi-firm for high speed compressions. Some AGX's would be good.
-riz

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have sold numerous sets of the springs for the 08 WRX but the sways really have not taken off as of yet. I am getting a lot of inquiries on fitment between the Hatch and Sedan...

They have two different sets of springs - a set for the WRX and a set for the STI.

The sways are same way (WRX and STI), but the WRX set will only fit the hatch back.

Perrin on the other hand is listing their sways for Hatchback and Sedan!

·
Registered
57 Posts
springs will clunk get tein silencers put the on bottom of springs will take care of problem had them on mine look sick to low scraped comin into driveway swapped for pinks like um but not as nice as cobbs stance

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes, they "clunk" definitely. Just put mine in over a week ago & now have a noticeable "clunk noise" when going over washboard-type bumps. I expected it & doesn't concern me since I knew what to expect. I saw your car the other day, looks nice with the wheels & grill :)

I'm considering the sway bars soon since the body roll is still pretty excessive. Waiting for some Koni struts when they are more documented on the forums etc.

·
Registered
59 Posts
really?
what springs should i get then?
the pinks or the cobbs?
or maybe the swifts?

thank you :)

which sway bars are better?
or in your opinion

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
They actually maintain quite a bit of suspension travel. The stock shocks provide more dampening as the spring is more loaded; I think they are valved super soft for low speed loading, and quasi-firm for high speed compressions. Some AGX's would be good.
-riz
It's true that they maintain a lot of travel, but that's not necessarily a good thing considering the drop the springs give, and simply increases the potential to cause more damage to the suspension on a hard bump due to bottoming out or coil bind. Besides, even if the shocks have progressive dampening characteristics, they are still way too soft to support a spring that would actually offer any serious improvement to handling.

Basically, just take a look at OGB's videos. There is one that shows how much the car still pitches and squats even with the springs. You can almost completely eliminate body roll with rallitek or whiteline bars, but the pitching is still there and will cause a lot of unwanted unsettling of the car in situations like braking prior to a turn, or even hitting bumps during a turn. Not even the thickest bar in the world will prevent that.

The bottom line is that regardless of anything else, the stock shocks are just too soft and springs will not offset this fact. Will springs help a little bit? Yes, but not much. The fact is that lowering springs tend to be primarily for looks when used on stock shocks.

As far as cobb's bars, unless you are tracking your car a lot, the cobb bars are going to be overkill. Contrary to what a lot of people would lead you to believe, bigger is not always better, or even just appropriate, when it comes to sway bars.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Lap times for comparo: COBB parts.
Suspension only
stock : 1:56:20
wrx w/ springs : 155:40
wrx w/ bars (front + rear) : 154:40
wrx w/ full stage 2 suspension kit : 154.00

·
Registered
102 Posts
so then it wouldnt be adviseable to get the cobb springs? because im debating whether or not i want to get springs for my car or an exhaust. i just dont like how soft and how high the suspension is. sometimes it feels like im driving a small suv

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
You can get springs if you really want. I mean I wouldn't recommend it personally considering the state of the stock shocks and the only slight improvement in handling, as well as the increased wear on the stock shocks, but it's your car.

·
Registered
107 Posts
So chanke4252 are you saying that you recommend doing nothing to the suspension? You seem to imply springs are not worth it and bigger swaybars may be worse.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Think you can post exactly what you feel are the weaknesses of the vehicle? this might be a better gauge to make recommendations from.
A few notes for you: (applies to WRX only. STi has more tolerances)
The suspension travel of the MY08 is even shorter thatn the MY07 which was shorter than the MY04-06
This is damper and spring set travel.
The effective dropping zone of the 08 is no more than 15mm 10 is recommended, more than this will cause increased risk of damage.
The OEM dampers can handle at most 30% (20% rec) of rate increase or the dampers will run the risk of being damaged due to increased rebounding rate. The replacement of sway bars accenuate this. Look for total effective spring rates if you plan or running sways.
It is best to go for total balance when suspension tuning. If you plan on replacing springs and sways, you should definitely swap dampers as well for total balance.
What is your budget? If you are lokoing at exhausts also (I have been hearing SPT is quite pricey again) then you shuld look at coilovers (Megan or D2) in the budget as viable alternatives.

Good luck

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
So chanke4252 are you saying that you recommend doing nothing to the suspension? You seem to imply springs are not worth it and bigger swaybars may be worse.
No, not at all. Sway bar upgrades can definitely improve handling, but there is a point when they are a bit overkill for most situations (like the cobb bars), especially on a street car. The whiteline bars that I have are about as thick as I would want to go on a street car. I actually wish they were a mm or two thinner.

The problem is that people get into the habit of thinking bigger and more is better (like with sway bars, and drops), and they will recommend bigger and more to other people when they have no idea what they are actually doing to their cars themselves. If your car saw a track on a regular basis (not a 1/4mi, but an actual track) then bigger bars (like the cobb bars) and more aggressive suspension mods (very stiff coilovers, bigger drops) might become more appropriate. However, if your car is a daily driver, or is only drive on public roadways, then all you are doing by performing the more extreme suspension mods (big drops/coilovers, huge sway bars) is increasing the chances that you are going to cause damage that may be very expensive to fix as a result of a pothole, bottoming out, or coil bind. Even if stiffened a bit with some bracing, the chassis isn't meant to absorb those sorts of forces without major modification.

Either way, springs like the cobb springs are for show mainly. The relatively large drop and low springrates give away their real intentions, as well as increase the potential for suspension damage. The reason that other springs with a similar drop as the cobbs tend to have significantly higher springrates is because they have to compensate for the greatly decreased suspension travel to keep from bottoming out, as Touge mentioned. If you want a spring upgrade for performance on the stock shocks then go with SPT or Swift springs. They WILL perform better, even if they don't look as cool. But the fact remains that you still won't see a very significant improvement without upgrading shocks. From what I've experienced, shocks are MUCH more important than springs when it comes to handling.

It really depends on your end goal though and where your roll resistance will end up coming from. My suggestion is that unless you KNOW you absolutely need something the size of the cobb bars, get something smaller.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts