Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i konw there already are a few posts in regards to this but it seem like its mainly for the caless DP's out there. I just installed Cobbed catted DP and threw a P0244 code going 90 on the highway. I already reset the ecu, but is there anything else that should be done? will a protune fix this?.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
You should be running a Stage II map or a protune should fix the code.

What other mods do you have... Engine Management?

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
P0244? Isn't that error code for 'turbocharger Wastegate Solenoid A Range/Performance'?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
P0244 Turbo/Super Charger Wastegate Solenoid
“A” Range/Performance
<Ref. to EN(H4DOTC)(diag)-166, DTC P0244 TURBO/SUPER
CHARGER WASTEGATE SOLENOID “A” RANGE/PERFORMANCE,
Diagnostic Procedure with Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC).>

AP:DTC P0244 TURBO/SUPER CHARGER WASTEGATE SOLENOID “A”
RANGE/PERFORMANCE
DTC DETECTING CONDITION:
• Immediately at fault recognition
• GENERAL DESCRIPTION <Ref. to GD(H4DOTC)-98, DTC P0244 TURBO/SUPER CHARGER WASTEGATE
SOLENOID “A” RANGE/PERFORMANCE, Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Detecting Criteria.>
TROUBLE SYMPTOM:
Poor driving performance
CAUTION:
After repair or replacement of faulty parts, perform Clear Memory Mode <Ref. to EN(H4DOTC)(diag)-
55, OPERATION, Clear Memory Mode.> and Inspection Mode <Ref. to EN(H4DOTC)(diag)-44, PROCEDURE,
Inspection Mode.>.
WIRING DIAGRAM:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry I do have The AP with the cobb stage II map installed. besides that just a catback as far as modifications go

·
Registered
988 Posts
Give Cobb a call and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Sorry I do have The AP with the cobb stage II map installed. besides that just a catback as far as modifications go
When did you flash your ECU to stage II? If it was just flashed, your ECU needs to learn, throwing a code at 90mph on a ECU that had just been reflashed could happen. On the other hand throwing a boost spike code can happen at any time. I was running the Cobb stage I map for about 3 months or so and threw a boost spike one random evening. I just got into it a little too hard. Cleared the code, but I did watch the AP pretty close for a few days after that and everything worked out fine and have not had an issue since... Knock on wood!!!

Did you use the "reflash" or "Real time" map option? Using "reflash" uploads a more complete map than the "real time" map option.

So off the top of my head those are the two items that could have cause the PO244 code, but it sounds like to me you just had a boost spike and your ECU did its job protecting the turbo and your motor.

I would take it easy and watch your AP for a while or at least that is what I did.

Or call Cobb, they are very helpful!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I just did this yesterday. I ended up driving about 200 Mi before pushing it the limit a little. I reset the code and nothing yet just dont like being cut off and all hell breaking loose on my dash :mad:. Any way going to call cobb and see what they say. As far as keeping an eye on this with AP what should i be looking for? Just making sure it doesnt exceed the 16lbs boost from the map?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Yeah I just did this yesterday. I ended up driving about 200 Mi before pushing it the limit a little. I reset the code and nothing yet just dont like being cut off and all hell breaking loose on my dash :mad:. Any way going to call cobb and see what they say. As far as keeping an eye on this with AP what should i be looking for? Just making sure it doesnt exceed the 16lbs boost from the map?
When the thump hits and light show happens, the blood pressure tends to got up and it is not a good situation. As far as watching the AP, there are three main items that I watch closely:

1. Boost - 16psi (According to your map notes) and what RPM's are you seeing that pressure at... I would think you could see that around 3,500rpm’s “+”
2. AFR Generally around 11.5 under heavy load and 14.5 @ idle
and for me the most important…
3. DAM should be at "1" anything lower than 1 and your ECU is pulling timing due to knock.

Unfortunately there is not one reading or tell tale sign that there is an issue or something is going to happen, like a boost spike. If those 3 reading are in normal range the ECU is happy, the car is happy and I am happy!

Let us know what Coob says!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Wow COBB fails. It's sad that you can overboost with their $600 catted DP and OTS map.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Wow COBB fails. It's sad that you can overboost with their 0 catted DP and OTS map.
Every car is different and I'm using a Cobb dp and not over boosting. I'm using a Perrin stg2 map now for more power but I have used their map for a month and it fine.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
It doesn't matter what DP you have or what EM you are running. A boost spike is a boost spike.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well spoke to Chris at Cobb, and told me to double check the boost. He said the stock map cuts out at a little more than 17. He said if its exceeding that that they can make a little change to the map for me to try and prevent it or I could adjust the boost manually. He said it sounded like boost creep to him when describing the rpm range and speed. So Guess i will do a little more research.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Hmm Boost Creep... Interesting thought I am not sure how boost creep would play into a boost spike?

So you were going 90mph, probably 5th gear at around 3,500rpm, did you go WOT right before you threw the code?

·
Registered
345 Posts
i hit boost spike a few times it is def not cool but im running a catless dp right now ive figured out how to manuever the throttle control from my foot around it so im good.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hmm Boost Creep... Interesting thought I am not sure how boost creep would play into a boost spike?

So you were going 90mph, probably 5th gear at around 3,500rpm, did you go WOT right before you threw the code?
Was doing a 3rd gear pull I was at about 6k i believe when it happened. I did go WOT when it pappened.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts

Was doing a 3rd gear pull I was at about 6k i believe when it happened. I did go WOT when it pappened.
I guess if you had a lag in boost due to creep and boost came back on strong, then yeah I could see boost creep.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I threw a P0244 code today. Going maybe about 50-55 in 3rd gear, feel the car start to pull and wam, its like a pop and the lights on the dash light up- check engine, vdc, and cruise. I was out runnin around so I turned the car off/on about 3-4 times and the dash lights turnd off. So by the time I got home no more lights but I plugged in the AP and it gave me the P0244 code. I am running a perrin stage 1 map and spt cat-back exhaust. I don't understand, is this just something that happens once in awhile or what. Do I just clear the code or do I need to do something else?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I threw a P0244 code today. Going maybe about 50-55 in 3rd gear, feel the car start to pull and wam, its like a pop and the lights on the dash light up- check engine, vdc, and cruise. I was out runnin around so I turned the car off/on about 3-4 times and the dash lights turnd off. So by the time I got home no more lights but I plugged in the AP and it gave me the P0244 code. I am running a perrin stage 1 map and spt cat-back exhaust. I don't understand, is this just something that happens once in awhile or what. Do I just clear the code or do I need to do something else?
Yeah it happens once and a while... There are many different factors that can contribute to a PO244, too many to tell. Basically, the ECU was doing its job protecting the motor and the turbo. Clear the code, if it starts to happen over and over (most of the time it is a one shot deal) you might have a bigger problem. There really is nothing else you can do at least that I am aware of.

I threw a boost spike 5 months ago or so, cleared it and have not had an issue since... knock on wood ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts