Subaru WRX Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1.Is it possible for whe wrx to fit a COLD AIR intake?? would it make any difference to the turbo sound?? because my friend have a 1.8t volks and it sounds so much better than having a blow off.

2.By adjusting my turbo to the psi I want which is higher than the stock, will my daily driving be affected since i change the psi which is not for the stock engine??

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
With my limited knowledge, I will try to answer your questions.
1. Yes, you can fit a CAI on the WRX. It is NOT recommended. Yes, you will hear the by-pass valve and turbo sucking in air.

·
Registered
421 Posts
1. Yes u can fit it in. Do a little search on the forum and you can see several products avaliable. RalliTEK has AVO's, there's UR somewhere on the internet and there's Blitz that i got for my car. Yes u can hear the suction from the turbo. But no, the sound from the BOV and the cai is totally different.

2. Yes u can adjust the boost up, but to a max of 1.1Bar... past that the ecu will "boost cut" and you've got to reset the ECU. The only way past that is to tune the ecu to overwrite the auto boost cut. You can drive with 1.4Bar pretty much safely on the streets. But expect your clutch to start slipping.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I forget the conversion from bar to psi, but I think that there is something explaining that by theJ. In reference to the difference between a CAI and a short ram is that the CAI (cold air intake) takes air from a cold place, such as the front bumper area for our car. The short ram just takes the air from the engine bay area which is hotter air. Cold air detinates better then hot air. So, the thing is you want as cold of air as you can get, that is why people put on front mount intercoolers.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So now i see why stock evos are a little bit faster than the sti's. because of the front mount intercooler. tnx for the information.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
So now i see why stock evos are a little bit faster than the sti's. because of the front mount intercooler. tnx for the information.
not exactly...... The front mount intercooler (FMIC) does provide cooler air for more BHP, but has extra piping thus more weight and slower response.

·
Registered
359 Posts
the Evo runs much higher boost from the factory than an sti, I forget exactly by how much but I think its like 18-19 psi. Also the engine makes its power alot higher in the powerband than an sti.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts