Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car into the dealership for its first oil change @ 3000 miles and I had them investigate a creaking noise that I hear from the right rear (passenger side on USDM cars) when turning. They told me that it was not a mechanical noise from the the rear suspension, but possibly from the car's chassis aka unibody. So, they gave me the car back and are supposedly calling the Subaru Tech Help Line for information. Has anybody else experienced this noise?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Only noise I get is from the hatch cargo cover contact points, when I forget to extend it.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I took my car into the dealership for its first oil change @ 3000 miles and I had them investigate a creaking noise that I hear from the right rear (passenger side on USDM cars) when turning. They told me that it was not a mechanical noise from the the rear suspension, but possibly from the car's chassis aka unibody. So, they gave me the car back and are supposedly calling the Subaru Tech Help Line for information. Has anybody else experienced this noise?
i havent had that problem but it sounds like they are blowin smoke with that whole calling subaru tech line.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went to another Subaru dealership to get a second opinion. They admit that the noise exists and tell me that they have had other cars (from 2003-2008) that make that noise. They say that it is the chassis flexing and it causes the rear window to deflect and thus produce this sound. The dealer says they can't do anything about it and that I'll have to file a complaint with Subaru of America (SOA). I find this upsetting and although I don't wish this on anyone, I hope others have had the problem so that Subaru can issue a recall and do something about this. It sucks too because this sound happens at very low speeds.

When I pick up my car at the dealership, I'm going to ask them to drive me in a new model to see if that noise exists in other '08s.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
drive with the hatch open and see if it still happens

also check the cargo cover -- drive with it removed and see if you still get the noise

I was getting the noise and it turned out that my cargo cover was a little loose and would just creek and make tiny noises.

I now get this noise that sounds like its coming from the roof / headliner. annoyyyingg. just turn the stereo up and drive harder. 8)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got the sedan. Sorry, I didn't mention this at first.

I talked to the dealership and they are going to send out a service rep, supposedly a field engineer, to examine the car and decide on a course of action. The dealer is telling me now that there are two other cars that have the same problem, but on the left side. The corrective action for these cars was to reinforce the shock tower area by welding. In other words, the factory did a shitty job of welding the rear of my car. I'm really getting ticked off about this whole ordeal. Any insight, experience, or help will be greatly appreciated. It won't be until two weeks to one month before a rep can get out here to look at it. :mad:

If they really do have to weld, than my whole interior needs to be taken out, the body sandblasted, welded properly, primed, repainted, and install the interior. I would rather get a new car than have this done to it. Then there is always the chance of rusting at the welds because it wasn't done under the same kind of conditions at the factory.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I've got the sedan. Sorry, I didn't mention this at first.
Well, that changes things. All the suggestions are for the Hatch... I think that their assessment is correct in reinforcing the rear, you can look at it like you are getting the car race ready for no charge. People can spend a lot of money getting that done, as far as rust goes, as long as it is done properly then you shouldn't have to worry. Good luck with that.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The big key is getting the repairs done properly. I just wish the car was right from the factory, especially for the price of the car. My former car, a '92 Integra, never creaked and I used to auto-x it. I haven't even driven the WRX hard, yet.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
While it is annoying, it's really not a big deal. My 2000 RS creaked all the time at low speeds. I wouldn't be alarmed at all by it frankly...although it IS annoying.
Did your RS creak because of a mechanical part (e.g. suspension bushing, ball joint, end link, etc.) or was the actual frame of the car bending to produce the sound? On my car, both dealerships ruled out a suspension defect and believe it to be the frame. Mechanical sounds I can deal with because the parts can be replaced. I will know for sure after the field engineer comes out and examines the car.

In my mind, a deflection of the frame is a bad thing and that is why people put lower tie bars, strut tower bars, and cross bars on their car to keep the body as rigid is possible. A stiff frame maximizes the effectiveness of the suspension by localizing the energy transfer of the moving wheel to the shock and spring and thereby utilizes the designed kinematics of the suspension to maintain maximum traction to the ground. Therefore, my car probably doesn't handle as well as everyone else's because of the possible defect.

Also, everything I read about the '08 talks about how well refined the car is compared to previous years. Apparently, Subaru went to great lengths to lessen NVH (Noise, Vibration, Harshness). We have a quiet engine, framed glass doors, etc. I think Subaru would want to know about this sound as it is a step backward in the NVH category and more akin to previous generations of the WRX.

I'm not knocking our cars, I think they are badass. I started this thread because I want to publicly document this complaint that Subaru is still trying to rectify and also to let others know, if there are others, that I have this problem as well.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I'm really not positive as to the cause of the creaking/noise...sometimes I think it might have been the frame...

other times I think it was the brake pads shifting slightly within the caliper....or maybe the strut shifting slightly in the wheel well...it might have even been a door hinge that is moving slightly because the door isn't seated quite right...again, not sure.

To make you feel better though, I autocrossed my car after hearing the creaks...it did not negatively affect my perfomance as far as I could tell....it did not creak during autox from what I could tell...just low speed, parking lot driving stuff.

The other thing to keep in mind, is that a slight creak (or even a pop as I sometimes got) could be caused by a very small defect...possibly impossible to see with the naked eye and it is likely that a defect that small will only be an occasional noise problem and contribute in no way to bad performance, loss of suspension geometry, or alignment or anything.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My car has been in the shop two days now and they are giving me a loaner car which is a base Impreza hatch. I can confirm that the hatch cover will creak and it only stopped when I removed it. I can say that the noise in my sedan is just as annoying, but I can't remove anything to stop it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The car finally got out of the shop. I am very disappointed by the welding and painting that was done on my car by the Subaru dealer, not to mention the rust prone area that they have created. They did the welding after calling the Subaru tech line and were told to examine the body panel spot welds. I was told by the service manager that other models have had the problem of missing welds near the strut tower that led to a noise, but on the left side of the car. So, the crappy weld job is where a weld was supposedly missing or incomplete. I don't know what it looked like before their patch because they didn't call me in before doing the work. <br><br>I still need some more seat time to determine that the creaking noise is gone. <br>
<br>
<br>

·
Registered
717 Posts
yea looks like a five year old did that....but if it works it works i guess. hope it stopped the noice.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The weld didn't do anything, but devalue the car. The car makes the noise turning left, turning right, accelerating, and going over bumps. I'm going to get the district rep to come and check it out because the dealer has only made it worse as seen by the horrible welding job.

Needless to say, I will push for a new car, especially since no one else on this forum is experiencing this on any of the sedans. I was the unlucky one to end up with the lemon.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Sorry to hear about your car. I have the sedan too, but haven't experienced your issue. I drive mine like I stole it too so I would figure if it was going to happen it would by now. Hope it all works out for ya.

Seth

·
Registered
142 Posts
i have the same problem i think its coming from the trunk lid torsion rods under the rear deck haven't tried to get rid of it yet

1 - 20 of 41 Posts