Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Opinions on coilovers are very subjective. Before i begin, i think u need to understand what kind of driver i am and my experiences with coilovers.

Experiences on other coilovers
BC - Taiwanese brand on my civic. Hard springs, but damping aint too good.
Tien MonoFlex on 07 WRX - Sat on it. Its slightly1 harder than the BC's and damping is much better.

I love hard suspensions. I don't mind feeling the rocks on the road, just so that i can feel the car as i'm cornering. So much so that i didn't see a need to get the Econ cos i figured i'll be at the hardest all the time.

See my photo journal here! http://www.3gwrx.com/forum/index.php?topic=114.0

Cusco Zero2E

The best cosmetic part is that my 08 WRX is finally a real Subaru WRX. The car simply just by lowering looks way sportier. It sits low on the ground. (i adjusted to about 1 to 2 fingers, and yes will post the pics very soon)

The springs are a little soft for my liking. However, its a really comfortable drive on most roads. If u were to have me compare the hardness with the BC or Tien, i'll say its in between. Damping wise it works extremely well. No after bump oscillations that seem to go on forever.

Body roll is reduced significantly, but still a little excessive for my liking. However, the car does handle much better now. The car responds immediately to every intentional twitch that i input into the steering wheel vs stock suspensions which tends to roll before responding.

Overall, a good set of coilovers for the weekend racers. Whats most important is that the damping is excellent. If you were to find the coilovers a little soft, simply order a set of springs with higher spring rate!

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
An upper front strut bar would help stiffen the suspension. Have you looked into getting one, Cusco has one for the new WRX.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The springs are a little soft for my liking. However, its a really comfortable drive on most roads....If you were to find the coilovers a little soft, simply order a set of springs with higher spring rate!...
Did you try pre-loading the springs? There (apparently) is a a second perch/lock that allows you to precompress the springs for tighter/stiffer ride.

-RL

·
Registered
646 Posts
nice writeup. but which ones would you say be the best bang for your buck? because i know the cusco's are not cheap and the bc's are usually around a grand. is it worth the extra thousand dollers or so?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nice writeup. but which ones would you say be the best bang for your buck? because i know the cusco's are not cheap and the bc's are usually around a grand. is it worth the extra thousand dollers or so?
best bang for the buck would be to change springs!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Cusco Zero 2E & eCon Review

i have taken the plunge and change my coilovers!

My review on this kit is rather similar to Pehon's review so i am not gonna say much.
Ride is hard yet comfortable. Ideal for the weekend trackie.
I would pefer it to be a tad harder though (new springs?)

My current ride setting are as follows
1.5 finger front|rear for height
2 degree camber front and natural 1.5 degree rear.

I installed the eCon too.
It's really convenient when the occasions calls for it.
And i highly recommend it to all Zero2E users! (That means you Pehon!)

Some installation photos attached

Pls feel free to drop any questions here

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hi pehon and anticode, just wondering how are the coilovers doing so far? As in do they creak and squeek? That would be my greatest concern as absolutely cannot stand noisy coilovers. Thanks.

Am thinking of changing to coilver before the upcoming track day. ;D

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hi pehon and anticode, just wondering how are the coilovers doing so far? As in do they creak and squeek? That would be my greatest concern as absolutely cannot stand noisy coilovers. Thanks.

Am thinking of changing to coilver before the upcoming track day. ;D
They are pretty quiet as of now and they are working pretty well too.
Would seriously advice you to change it asap so that you can align and run it in in time for the upcoming trackday.

·
Registered
0 Posts
think i'm going to follow behind u two, pehon and anticode, and try out my stock suspension, hehehe... wait for me hor. ;D

·
Registered
0 Posts
They are pretty quiet as of now and they are working pretty well too.
Would seriously advice you to change it asap so that you can align and run it in in time for the upcoming trackday.
[/quote]

Sounds good, did you guys get it at mcwell? They quoted me something like $2.9k with installation. Am currently considering between zero2e and the hipermax 3 sports. I've sat in a evoX with the suspension. Feels good, firm yet comfortable at med setting. Just at its going @ $3.8k at garageR.

Looks like i'll have to make a decision soon. :-[

·
Registered
0 Posts
think i'm going to follow behind u two, pehon and anticode, and try out my stock suspension, hehehe... wait for me hor. ;D
Dude, no worries, i might be behind you. LOL sometimes its not the car you're driving but rather the driver driving the car. My fastest timing on my S15 was around 2.55 i think and that was over 2 years ago. haha

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dude, no worries, i might be behind you. LOL sometimes its not the car you're driving but rather the driver driving the car. My fastest timing on my S15 was around 2.55 i think and that was over 2 years ago. haha
No worries jimmy. We can give u some pointers if u need any! And yes, the driver is important, but the brakes are even more important!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Looks great.

Did you guys have any problems getting the car aligned after installing and dropping?

From what I understand the rear isn't adjustable? Would rear camber plates fix this?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks great.

Did you guys have any problems getting the car aligned after installing and dropping?

From what I understand the rear isn't adjustable? Would rear camber plates fix this?

Yeah rear camber kits will fix this. My rear has a natural camber of 2 degrees, that can't be adjusted.

Other than that, there isn't any other problems!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yeah rear camber kits will fix this. My rear has a natural camber of 2 degrees, that can't be adjusted.

Other than that, there isn't any other problems!
By camber kit, do you mean camber plate? Is that what you're running?

Or is there another way? I'm not aware of any camber bolts for the rear yet.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts