Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All:

Calling around, it looks like I can get my paws on a new 08 STI for under 30K. I was thinking about the utility of the 08 STI - I would be using it mostly for my DD - never tracking it or even running the crap out of it hanging out up near red-line.

I currently own a Perrin stage 1 08 WRX - I like the low-end torque-iness of it. I hear the 08 STI (and the 09 WRX) don't come alive until well over 4k RPMs. That, and the general harshness of the ride would seem to make it a less desirable DD.

Am I crazy to be considering the STI? Part of me wants to hop in on the blowout deal and GET A STI OMG!!!!, but the other part of me (and the wife) are saying that the DD-ability of the car coupled with the I'll-like-it-in-spite-of-it-being-a-hatch is making me hesitate.

Money is out of the equation here - willing to take a trade-in hit on my 08 WRX if I can justify the 08 STI.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Only a few reasons I would trade in my WRX for a STI.

1) Wide Body
2) DCCD
3) 6 Speed
+1. At first I heard the 08 STis were below 30k at 0% I was thinking it might have been ok for me...then I remembered how I've got enough of a handful with an 09. It is more car than I am driver. I have NOT driven an STi, but I've put 1.7k miles on my 09, a good mix of hwy city mix. I will use it in D-Stock auto-x (so not modified) and IMO it makes a GREAT DD setup. However, so does the 08.

If you like the low end torque of your 08, stick with it. I don't have that with my 09 for sure. Couldn't say with an STi. Maybe someone will chime in...

I'd say an 08 (or 09 for that matter) WRX could worth a trade for an STi. If you have an 08 IMO it isn't worth the trade (and loss in value) for an 09 wrx. I just don't think there is THAT big of a difference and you might just regret the trade-in decision (and loss in $).

joneSi

·
Super Moderator
2,745 Posts
I was thinking the exact same thing,

I dropped by my dealer the other day and found them at low 30s, not worth it to me...

I've heard the miracle stories, but unless it was a perfect situation I wasn't going to do it...

I love my 08, and it would have to take the perfect scenario for me to bail on it...

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you can swing it financially go for it. The STI a better car in every aspec expect smooth ride.

It will also have a killer resale value since you only spent 30k.

The bomb proof 6 speed and sweet wdebody are so worth it if you can afford it

·
Registered
88 Posts
Well, my thing is if you are on the fence and you are not ABSOLUTELY sure about the decision then I wouldn't. Sometimes when purchasing decisions are really hard the best thing to go with is your gut.

Sounds like you don't really like the hatch, I wouldn't want you to buy something you're on the fence about just because it's a deal. That's how women shop for clothes! JK. Besides, if you love your car now, and you keep it, eventually when Subaru comes out with a sedan STi again it's yours.

I would like the DCCD and tranny though.

BTW...I've driven the 08 and 09 WRX, I think people are overstating the greater low-end torque of the 08. There is a difference, it's just not that big. You can kick an 09 into it's sweet RPM very, very quickly.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, my thing is if you are on the fence and you are not ABSOLUTELY sure about the decision then I wouldn't. Sometimes when purchasing decisions are really hard the best thing to go with is your gut.

Sounds like you don't really like the hatch, I wouldn't want you to buy something you're on the fence about just because it's a deal. That's how women shop for clothes! JK. Besides, if you love your car now, and you keep it, eventually when Subaru comes out with a sedan STi again it's yours.

I would like the DCCD and tranny though.

BTW...I've driven the 08 and 09 WRX, I think people are overstating the greater low-end torque of the 08. There is a difference, it's just not that big. You can kick an 09 into it's sweet RPM very, very quickly.
Good advice, thanks.

I have a Perrin stage 1 '08 - is very torque-y compared to stock (which itself is torque-ier than the '09, though not terribly so as you pointed out).

·
Registered
220 Posts
I traded my stage 2 08 wrx for a 08 STi.

I did it for the brakes, turbo/IC (old style, none of this flanged IC connection ie much larger aftermarket offerings), bulletproof tranny w/ DCCD, interior, wider track and fenders, AVCS on both intake and exhaust, S/S# tune selection, on and on.

Listen whether the 08 wrx owner admits it or not, the STi is everything the wrx ISNT. The 09 WRX simply adds some red stitching, a sti sized turbo and stiffer suspension bits - its still no STi. For a pure DD, the 09 WRX will suit your needs. However its still a very weak offering when compared to the STi, and with 08's going for under 30k, the offer was too good to pass up. BTW the 09 WRX and 08 STi have very similar powerbands - with good tuning you will spool up well under 4k and it will be that much quicker on an STi with the AVCS on both cams.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
im pretty sure we know the STI's are more than the WRX's lol, but I've driven both, from 04 STIs to the new one and hands down a stock WRX is much more suitable daily driver. Im not sure he's interested in romping around and spanking everything he sees on the highway, just a moderately quick car that holds together fairly well, and that definitely goes to any wrx.

every time i get out of an STI, my ass feels like i fell asleep in a prison cell lol

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Honestly its what you want so do what you want. If you want a DD either would be fine for it. But the STi has more to it if you do intend on doing more with it. I'll probably be trading in my 08 Stage 2 for an 08 STi just because of the reason posted above. I eventually want to drag the car and really dont' feel like doing a tranny swap on mine so..

In the end if your not happy with the choice you make you will be dealing with it. Do what your gut tells you.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
STi FTW for all the performance differences and gains. It is quite comfy for DD, actually was too comfy for me hence all the negative reviews from track times and competitions. However, this does not really take away from stock to stock performance against the previous gen STi. I turn in better lap times with this one.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
To me it stood out b/c from a stop, it feels as if it pulls harder, though I will give you the fact that my 09 wrx goes quite fast to where the turbo pulls (3.5k or so and up). I would guess the STi is similar, though obviously pulling harder than a wrx does.

If I thought I could (maturely) handle an STi, I'd have gotten a deal on an 08. I need to work out some of my ability (and maybe a little immaturity) on my 09 wrx first, then maybe step it up to an STi in 4 or 5 years. We'll have to see.

joneSi

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all for the opinions.

In the end, I decided to pass on the STI - I'm positive it is a decision I'll be replaying over and over for the next few months/years, but oh well....

Factors:

* Daily Driver - I hardly ever push my WRX to its limit - the STI would be of benefit the 1/10 of 1% of times out on the road.
* Daily Driver - my Perrin stage 1 WRX is a torque-y demon, lots of fun when buzzing stoplight to stoplight, or up and down in the 30-60 MPH range.
* I'm not big on the hatch. Sorry for you hatch lovers - it ain't me. Also, wife says I'm not young or cool enough to pull off a hatch.
* Wife tried to kick my ass on the suggestion of trading in/up already.
* I'd have to buy winter tires right away (I'm in Wisconsin).
* The hit I'd take on the trade-in would offset a lot of the "great deal"-ness of the current STI offer.
* Insurance increase hard to justify when factored in with the above.
* Sways/springs upgrades will get my #1 complaint with my 08 WRX resolved, and will be fun to do.

Had there been a sedan version of the STI to contemplate, I'm not sure the decision would've been the same - probably would've gone against my objective breakdown and pulled the trigger anyway (hint, SOA).

As for what the 08 WRX does at Perrin stage 1 - have not dyno'd before or after. Perrin claims 25-30 whp, but that doesn't sum up the actual effect as that 25-30 whp is across the entire power band. The car has a completely different feel with the Perrin map on, I will say that. It runs at 17 psi peak boost (over 11.5 stock), which is definately noticible. I'm actually scared of (or just plain waiting for) my TMIC to blow up - it feels like the car is being pushed that much harder.

While it is a favorite NASIOC pasttime to bash the 08 (while strangly worshipping the 09 which really isn't *that* far away - I got to drive one), I really like my car. That doesn't mean that I don't think it couldn't be better *cough*suspension*cough*RE92s suck*cough*, or that I'm not cheesed at SOA for selling an Impreza GT in WRX clothing (and insurance rates). Overall, it is still a great car for my needs, and I'll be sticking with it for the near future.

Now, SOA get on with a STI'd sedan. :)

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Well, I'd disagree. I think the advantage that the 08 has in low end is underplayed. I've had both, and the 08 definitely spools sooner and faster. The difference somehow seems to grow almost exponentially as you go up in altitude.

With that said, trading your 08 for an 09 will not be worth it. The 09 is better in a few ways, but not such that it is a completely different animal. I actually think the 08's powerband is a bit more fun in a few conditions, especially with a lot of tight turns and steep hills. Trading your 08 for an STI however, might be worth it.

Honestly, the best thing about the 09's are the suspensions imo. The 08 suspension isn't bad by any means (a little soft to some), but the 09 suspension is just about perfect imo. I'll put on the sways that I already have from my 08, but I definitely won't touch the springs/struts. They are perfect for a DD that will be driven somewhat spiritedly or in demanding conditions.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've got an '08 WRX with the Perrin Stg 1. My buddy just traded in his '07MS3 for the sweet deal on an '08 STI. I've driven my car in just about every condition you can imagine (street, hwy, gravel, chip'n'seal, dirt, fields, rallyx, autox) and I've driven his STI on street and gravel. I gotta say, my rex hits the torque a LOT faster than his does....emphasis on the LOT. I can break all 4 wheels loose in a straight line all the way up to 4th gear on gravel just by goosing the throttle, cant do it on his car....not enough torque. I figured maybe if I just held constant at 4krpm THEN goosed it (near max torque for the STI) it might break loose....but still no go. Having driven his STI and my PerrinStg1 WRX, it seems like the WRX's torque/power are much more usable in tight, twisty, hilly, low-traction areas where the STI (stock) powerband requires a bit more of an open road to really utilize it.

All that being said, the Perrin Stg 1 map added some stupid amount of torque (like 60-65 ft-lb) and dropped the RPM in kicks in by a bit. He's picking up a deal on an AP soon so we'll see how his stg1 STI compares with my WRX in terms of low-end torque delivery.

On a side note....would it REALLY cost subaru that much more to put some STIFFER rubber in the tranny/diff mounts/shifter assembly? Good god, compared to the STI it feels like my rex is held together by rubber bands. Go go gadget bushing/mount packages for christmas.....

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I've got an '08 WRX with the Perrin Stg 1. My buddy just traded in his '07MS3 for the sweet deal on an '08 STI. I've driven my car in just about every condition you can imagine (street, hwy, gravel, chip'n'seal, dirt, fields, rallyx, autox) and I've driven his STI on street and gravel. I gotta say, my rex hits the torque a LOT faster than his does....emphasis on the LOT. I can break all 4 wheels loose in a straight line all the way up to 4th gear on gravel just by goosing the throttle, cant do it on his car....not enough torque. I figured maybe if I just held constant at 4krpm THEN goosed it (near max torque for the STI) it might break loose....but still no go. Having driven his STI and my PerrinStg1 WRX, it seems like the WRX's torque/power are much more usable in tight, twisty, hilly, low-traction areas where the STI (stock) powerband requires a bit more of an open road to really utilize it.

All that being said, the Perrin Stg 1 map added some stupid amount of torque (like 60-65 ft-lb) and dropped the RPM in kicks in by a bit. He's picking up a deal on an AP soon so we'll see how his stg1 STI compares with my WRX in terms of low-end torque delivery.

On a side note....would it REALLY cost subaru that much more to put some STIFFER rubber in the tranny/diff mounts/shifter assembly? Good god, compared to the STI it feels like my rex is held together by rubber bands. Go go gadget bushing/mount packages for christmas.....
Just a thought, but the STi -shouldn't- break loose. I think that your criteria might be flawed. You might be able to do that with a WRX with open diffs, but not on an STi with front and rear locking diffs. The traction systems are two different animals

I do believe that you have quite a bit of low end torque, though. And I'd guess a dyno would back you up on that you may have more than an STi.

Also +1 on the rubber band feeling compared to an STi.

joneSi

EDIT: I do think the TD04 has its merits, for sure. Like you said I'd guess tight etc it would be very nice. Auto-x would be a good way to push it for sure. No need to wait for anything to spool. Big torque right NOW is nice.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'll give you guys some part-by-part impressions of a few aftermarket pieces on the '08 WRX after christmas. I'll compare them to the stock '08 WRX and STI.

Whiteline front/rear sways
Whiteline front/rear endlinks
Group-N 5MT tranny mount
Kartboy Holy Shift Kit (wide)

Possibly:
Kartboy short shifter
Perrin Subframe Lockdown System (SLS)

I am actually pleased with the power/torque output of the '08 WRX, I'm just hoping to tighten up the delivery. The sways/links should kill the body roll. The shift kit should tighten up the oars like a 12-year-old on prom night. And what I'm really looking forward to is the tranny mount and Perrin's SLS. I want my drivetrain TIGHT. Word on the street (ok, from Perrin) is the SLS should be out for the '08/'09 by mid-late December. I can't wait!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts