Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a friends house and 2 hours later I go to leave and find a crack in my front windshield. ???

There is no chipped glass, it looks like a clean cut. I'm thinking there may have been a defect or maybe the window cracked because of the difference in temperature from inside to outside the car. It was 13 F outside so I turned up the heat inside the car and the crack is located where the heat hits the window and begins to defog. I'm going to take it to my local Subie dealer in the next couple of days to take a look at it. Would the warranty cover this?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
if theres no evidence of impact and the car being so new i guess so... i hope so

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to get my car checked tomorrow and I'm expecting a negative response from the dealer. The damn window should be built to handle the different temperatures if this is the reason it cracked. I thought Subaru = quality & reliability. I think I will need some luck on this.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm going to get my car checked tomorrow and I'm expecting a negative response from the dealer. The damn window should be built to handle the different temperatures if this is the reason it cracked. I thought Subaru = quality & reliability. I think I will need some luck on this.
As long as you have

·
Registered
717 Posts
hope they stand behind their product quality, good luck!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I went to get my car looked at this afternoon and I got some bad news. A very small chip was found that I somehow wasn't able to see before. Apparently, the different temperatures may have had an effect on the crack in the windshield. Once I was told I started to swear ([email protected]#$%!). There goes any chance to get my windshield replaced for free. A new windshield will cost $1,300 Canadian (including taxes), but if I wait a couple of months I could get a aftermarket windshield for $475. I'm going to contact the Buffalo dealer I got my car from and see how much they charge. I think I'll be driving with this crack for a while.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Sorry to hear that, but at least there appears to be a reason for the crack, otherwise all of us could be at risk including yourself once you got it replaced. Hopefully it will hold so you can use it for a while, I'd try to wait until it warm out to get it replaced.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I just recently got a crack in my windshield and it didn't take long before it spread, only about 8 hours of sitting in the sun. Now its a huge 20 inch crack.
I heard and noticed the crack as it happened and was planning on fixing it immediately but after I parked the car and left it over night I knew it would have to be replaced.
I'll post some pictures latter.
The windshield is still $1300 Canadian to replace, hello insurance company.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
damn, that blows...subarus of all generations are know for weak windshields I though...

for those of you moving to SC, I know there is someone who just moved there or is already there...

In our state, your insurance company is required to repair/replace your wildshield for free (no deductible or rate hikes) if it breaks or cracks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@ Zombie

First of all, that sucks! Did you ask about aftermarket windshields? I've gotten used to my crack and it doesn't really bother me anymore. I'm lucky it's only at the bottom part of my windshield.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Really your still driving with it?
Mine is on the driver side and right through my field of vision so I'm getting it fixed. My deductible is 300 so I'm just going to pony up the coin and also get my windows tinted at the same time.
I'm leaving for Vegas on Sunday so hopefully I can make some money to pay for it. The reality is I'm probably coming home with less money then I left with.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I though insurance companies covered this. If you think about it, $500 deductible would cover everything. I would call my insurance company and claim it if this would happen to me. Just my opinion. Please correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I though insurance companies covered this. If you think about it, 0 deductible would cover everything. I would call my insurance company and claim it if this would happen to me. Just my opinion. Please correct me if I am wrong.
I think this is different from State to State and Provence to Provence. Where I live its covered under your comprehensive policy and my insurance has a 300 deductible for comprehensive. I wouldn't doubt that some people don't have to pay a deductible for this repair but I did.

Attachments

·
Registered
239 Posts
So I went to get my car looked at this afternoon and I got some bad news. A very small chip was found that I somehow wasn't able to see before. Apparently, the different temperatures may have had an effect on the crack in the windshield. Once I was told I started to swear ([email protected]#$%!). There goes any chance to get my windshield replaced for free. A new windshield will cost =000004637,300 Canadian (including taxes), but if I wait a couple of months I could get a aftermarket windshield for 5. I'm going to contact the Buffalo dealer I got my car from and see how much they charge. I think I'll be driving with this crack for a while.
Wow you guys get royally screwed. I just had my front screen replaced (The company even came to my workplace to replace it) for only $290 AUD (no waiting as they had one in stock)! Could have got it even cheaper if I had taken it to a windscreen workshop (unfortunately I was too busy at work).

·
Registered
79 Posts
ha ha ha in ma glass coverage is required no deductible!
i take full advantage of this and get my winshield replaced once a year in the spring time after it gets all shitty from winter driving
one good punch usually spiderwebs it and they dont ask any questions
1-800-54-giant they even have a catchy jingle to go along with it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
mine just did broke too, a very tiny dot almost can't see right at the edge in the middle of the windshield...then crack goes to the mirror and turn right for 4 inch so far...always going further...
car with only 7k km....so cheap....
ny1 know how much it is to replace in north usa?
would maybe be a good idea to make a small trip since here in canada it'S 1300$ to replace...

·
Registered
3,474 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
the thing here with insurance is that yes i can get it changed...not "supposed" to go higher but it still goes inside claims count...so if u want to change company...then ur screwed..or if u stay with the company....the misteriously dont drop price for a few years and then u finally end up paying it. + if u get any other claims, wich could be easy sometime, like a real bad luck, then the count comes to 2 and then ur screwed...
sometimes it worth the claims...sometime not...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts