Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after getting burned once or twice by my iPhone's navigation not working because I was out of cell range (and therefore couldn't load maps) I started thinking about getting an in dash aftermarket GPS. They seem to be pretty expensive though for what you get, and an ipod capable double din HU seems to be under $300 for a few models, so I'll probably go that route.

For navigation, I'm looking at getting a Dash Express. Reviews seem to be pretty good but one point of concern is the unit's size - its apparently quite large and an odd shape. Does anyone have one installed in their 08? I'm curious about where it would get mounted to be usable and out of the way. The WRX's dash has the lip for the clock and trip computer which might get in the way of a "clean" install for the dash.

(Also if anyone has comments about the performance of the unit I'd love to hear them)

http://www.dash.net/

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
It's a cool idea but I see a few problems.

Number 1 it's freaking huge. I would never put that on a dash as cluttered as the WRX already is. If you try and put it on top of your dash, it's going to be hard because of how it's shaped and how sloped our windshield is. I can't think of a place where it's going to fit and be easy to look at while driving.

Second, the whole TruTraffic thing is a gimmick. Sharing traffic data between Dash's sounds cool, except in a huge traffic jam maybe 2 people are going to have a Dash including you. Nobody has one, so there isn't going to be a whole lot of data sharing going on. I wouldn't rely on Dash being around in 12 months either with all the competition in GPS right now.....

Third, you have to pay $9.99 a month for the internet connectivity. Other GPS units can be updated through your PC, so the routes, restaraunts, points of interest etc. are all updated if you plug it in to your PC every so often. You're not getting anything out of being able to connect to Yahoo

If I were shopping, I'd check out Garmin Nuvi. You can spend anywhere from $200-$600 depending on what features you want. Does everything a Dash does with no fees, no install, it's way smaller, and it's portable if you need something while walking around.

Hope this helps you in your search.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Third, you have to pay .99 a month for the internet connectivity. Other GPS units can be updated through your PC, so the routes, restaraunts, points of interest etc. are all updated if you plug it in to your PC every so often. You're not getting anything out of being able to connect to Yahoo

If I were shopping, I'd check out Garmin Nuvi. You can spend anywhere from 0-0 depending on what features you want. Does everything a Dash does with no fees, no install, it's way smaller, and it's portable if you need something while walking around.

Hope this helps you in your search.
I like that the monthly also means you get firmware and functionality updates. In terms of updating maps, doesn't garmin charge you something like $70 a year for maps anyways? Obviously its less than the Dash's monthly but the difference seems small enough at that point that if the dash's service was better it'd be worth it.

I'm not really hung up on the price, so the size is my main hangup simply because there's really no place locally that sells them and given all the complains about the size I don't think I'd want to order one w/o seeing how it'd fit.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
There's firmware updates for Nuvi's online. As for maps, if you need to add a place, like Europe, you will have to pay. My buddy took his Nuvi down to Costa Rica last month and he said it was 100% accurate even on dirt roads, so in the Americas you will be good for a long time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts