Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DBW "throttle run on"?

Hello folks, I am not sure if I have an issue or if the car is ok but here goes:
When accelerating and then quickly letting go of the gas pedal, it doesnt seem like the car wants to do any sort of engine braking. From what I read in the past, DBW doesnt immediately close the throttle like in cable throttle cars, mainly for emissions reasons. I am not sure if I'm using the correct terminology, but I believe it's throttle run on. Similar cars w/ DBW that I have read with similar descriptions are Civic Si (current), and Nissan Versa.... I'm sure there are more. I'm also wondering, does Cobb AP take care of this? Is this 1 of the DBW situations they are talking about? B/c it's a bit scary sometimes when I'm accelerating hard, drop the throttle, expect the car to slow down within 1-1.5 seconds, but doesnt.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Re: DBW "throttle run on"?

Do you have a wrx or 2.5i...auto or manual.

My 2.5i manual (DBW also I believe) engine brakes immediately on throttle lift. The automatic transmission versions or the WRX may be different....

Anyone else care to weigh in on this? No idea if cobb AP fixes this...although this may be an issue with your car if other WRXs don't experience this.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Do you have a wrx or 2.5i...auto or manual.

My 2.5i manual (DBW also I believe) engine brakes immediately on throttle lift. The automatic transmission versions or the WRX may be different....

Anyone else care to weigh in on this? No idea if cobb AP fixes this...although this may be an issue with your car if other WRXs don't experience this.
I have a 5 speed WRX. I cant say it's an issue....... I did some research on nasioc and it seems 06-07 Imprezas also had a similar situation. Now, I dont know if other people are noticing.... I mean, it slows down like a manual should, but there is a delay before that happens. I know I cant compare DBW with cable throttle but it can dangerous at times.
what usually pops up in magazine reviews is this: "car feels like it's still accelerating even when letting off the throttle".

·
Registered
359 Posts

I don't experience anything like that unless maybe in 4th or 5th gear

·
Registered
344 Posts

^^ That is because the turbo is spining very fast :) There is a lot of inertia in the turbine and it takes a moment to slow down, it still is producing mechanical boost after you let off the throttle (for a 1/4sec or so) ;)

·
Registered
421 Posts

+1 to 08OBPWRX

Its the "left over" boost. You will notice this reluctance to decelerate when u cause the BOV not to release any pressure, hence the left over boost. Notice if u accelerate harder and release ur throttle with the BOV coming into action (which you wouldn't notice on stock bov), the deceleration is almost immediate as all "left over" boost are released.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

hmm.... thanks for the replies fellas. I will have to investigate this in my brother's car which has cable throttle.
I understand the explanation but I shift slow.... and I always lift off gas completely before I even get on the clutch.... but I will try again.

·
Registered
344 Posts

Do you have a tune ???

·
Registered
344 Posts

Well now, that's not good ::) jk. Seriously, what you are experiencing is greatly diminished when you get a tune (ex. Stage 1 or 2 or Protune). Highly recommended.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Well now, that's not good ::) jk. Seriously, what you are experiencing is greatly diminished when you get a tune (ex. Stage 1 or 2 or Protune). Highly recommended.
thats what I was looking to read! Cobb claims it eliminates of the DBW feel, I'll be using them regardless but I'm also interested in what they mean by the "feel" of it.

·
Registered
239 Posts

thats what I was looking to read! Cobb claims it eliminates of the DBW feel, I'll be using them regardless but I'm also interested in what they mean by the "feel" of it.
+ 1 - I also had this stock, disappeared with a tune.

·
Registered
128 Posts

Buy the AP from Perrin so that you get the Perrin Stage 1 map in addition to the Cobb maps. It's much more powerful.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts

Cobb is a waste of money if you know how to use a computer.

buy a Tactrix cable (OpenPort 2.0) for a lot less and download one of the many available stage 1 maps. save your money:
http://www.tactrix.com/product_info.php?products_id=49

I downloaded a stage 1 tune for $50 from XPT's website and it helps a lot of the DBW problems... car is a lot better to drive now (and a little peppier). K&N drop-in filter was the only requirement:
http://www.plasmatize.com/xptstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=47&products_id=94

I'm (pretty soon) going to be getting a ProTune stage 1 and eventually stage 2, once I have a downpipe. they'll be 100% free to download and available on this forum.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts