Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the subaru factory sport mesh grille and I'm thinking about debadging it. Has anyone on here done it successfully? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I've seen it done before. it's easy.

you can also install the "i" badge

it requires removing the bumper to get to the pops that mount the grille to the bottom

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I thought it was secured with screws? the badge is on the plastic part with double sided tape, yes, but if he wants to completely debadge and remove the black plastic oval behind the badge then he'll have to remove the grille, right?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
You don't need to take the bumper off to debadge the sport grill. You pop the clips out on top of the grill, gently pull the grill away from the car, and then you can reach in and pop out the tabs and unscrew the rest of it. I did it and my arms are big and hairy so a normal sized person shouldn't have too much problems. The only problem was getting the screws back in. I dropped one and it landed down on the plastic cover under the motor. My magent wouldn't pick up the screw so I had to rig up a rod with a wad of duct tape at the end to fish it out. Careful!

Edit: Oh and your probably could bust the badge off if you really want to. It's held on by two C-shaped plastic jibs that are screwed into the back of the badge. You could pull the clips out of the grill, pull it away from the car (gently) and then just attack the clips on the back of the badge with some dikes or something. This would trash your badge obviously.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I got curious and ended up discovering how to remove the grille entirely without removing the bumper.

first, remove the four big fasteners that hold the front fascia against the car (they pop up with a flat head screw driver)

next, remove the four SMALL fasteners. they're a little trickier -- you have to wedge a flathead in between the circle and the rim, and wiggle it around until it begins to slide up...

once you do that, there are four small phillips head screws along the bottom inside of the grille. you'll need tiny hands or a tiny screwdriver to get these out, be careful not to drop them.

once you have the 4 large snaps, 4 small snaps, and 4 phillips screws, the grille itself should separate easily. note the two snap tabs on the bottom -- these have to go INSIDE of the inserts for the grille to sit flush, not above or under them.

all of this has to be done while you gently are bending the grille forwards to access the screws. be careful not to break anything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts