Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to change the default setting for the VDC? In nice weather, I'd prefer to leave it off (mucho improved-o gas mileage / performance)... but sometimes I forget about it.

Anyone in the know?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
We have VDC and TCS right? I dont think there is way to turn off the VDC, only the TCS.
edit: My mistake, the little button by the power mirror adjustment button shuts off VDC. Section 7-31 of the owner's manual.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
>.O is right... I'm referring to the button to the lower left of the steering wheel... TCS / VDC / whatevah it be... it is reset to "On" every time the car starts. I don't anticipate there being a way to toggle this, but I was just curious...

·
Registered
344 Posts
If you take out the fuse, the light on the dash will *blink* *blink* at you all day. I think you gotta just bite-the-bullet and push the little button each time :p

·
Registered
344 Posts
Performance is much better, no throttle cuts or power restrictions. As far as the MPG I haven't been able to notice a real diff. :-\

·
Registered
498 Posts
I'm taking a long driving trip, about 1700mi. next week. If I remember, I'll try to keep the VDC off and check the milage.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Performance is much better, no throttle cuts or power restrictions. As far as the MPG I haven't been able to notice a real diff. :-\
I've heard arguments both ways in regards to performance w/VDC on or off....I think it may depend on what you're trying to do...if you're rallying or drifting you'd want it off cuz you'd want the car to be able to get sideways...but for tight corners I've heard people say they really like it on...I've played both ways...and you definately feel more confident with it on cuz it will correct errors for you and keep you on the road...

Now please don't cyber kill me for bringing up an EVO on a Subie forum...but the Evo X has repeatedly gotten higher reviews in match ups with the STI cuz of it's traction control and yaw-control programing...it's actually slower than the STI but gettin better lap times cuz of it's highly computerized AWD system...now on the other side of that arguement I've heard people say the STI is actually better if you really know how to drive and the EVO is basically for drivers who need training wheels

whatever...drive it both ways and see what YOU like

·
Registered
498 Posts
Can anyone confirm IMPROVED MPG with VDC off?

How about performance? This would be very subjective IMO. . .
I got back from my trip and I tried to remember to turn the VDC off evey time I started the car. I saw no difference in the gas mileage. This was with a 78mph average while the car was moving. My butt dyno says that the performance was somewhat enhanced.

·
Registered
223 Posts
VDC is not doing anything until your car actually lose traction. There is no chance that VDC is hurting fuel economy or performance. If VDC is cutting in on you too often, you're driving too hard on public streets and you're due for a nice WRX-in-tree collision. I have 4,050 miles on my WRX so far and have not had VDC kick in once yet.

·
Registered
282 Posts
All it takes is turning a corner that also changes the slope (say a right hand turn onto an incline) to make the sucker kick in. Granted, you need to NOT drive like a grandma, but it definitely doesn't take eratic or wreckless driving.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
VDC is not doing anything until your car actually lose traction. There is no chance that VDC is hurting fuel economy or performance. If VDC is cutting in on you too often, you're driving too hard on public streets and you're due for a nice WRX-in-tree collision. I have 4,050 miles on my WRX so far and have not had VDC kick in once yet.
VDC work more often that you think... and you dont really know if it kicking in because when the dash light turn one its the TCS that is kicking in and not the VDC

They are two separate systeme that work together but cannot be turn off separetly

·
Registered
228 Posts
hmm
today,
i was flooring it on 2nd going straight and i saw the traction control light blinking for a sec or 2 on my WRX but i knew for sure TCS was turned off cus i always drive with it off.
i wonder if that was the VDC kicking

and from reading wat u guys said the VDC is default on when u start the car i know my VDC was probably on
i never knew u could turn off the VDC till now. i'll try that button tommarrow

·
Registered
223 Posts
Our cars do not have any TCS feature. We only have VDC, which is short for Vehicle Dynamics Control. The button to shut it off is located next to the power mirror controls. When you push the VDC button, the light on the dash will illuminate and stay illuminated for the duration of the drive, indicating that the system is off. Whether the system is on or off, the light will still blink to indicate that one or more of the wheels has temporarily lost traction. If VDC is on, it will take measures to regain traction (applying brake appropriately and limiting the throttle). If VDC is off, the light will just blink to let you know that there is a loss of traction. Because the VDC sensors are always working, there is no effect on gas mileage whether you VDC on or off.

If you just don't care for traction control and you want VDC to default to "off" every time you start the car, checkout this website:

http://www.kptechnologies.com/

You have to contact them and let them know what you want and they will be able to do it for you.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
read the manual in mine it talked about both system
you can also feels the VDC workin even if the light doesnt blink

·
Registered
700 Posts
Can anyone confirm IMPROVED MPG with VDC off?

How about performance? This would be very subjective IMO. . .
i have turned off the VDC off for an entire tank of gas and got the same MPG as with it on. only thing that made a huge diff is warmer weather. now that its in the 70's by me i went from 250 miles for 12/gallons to about 310. well 310 is my best but now averaging bout 300 for 12 gallons.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
having the VDC off will actually only make it less intrusive, it never actually turns off completely

leaving it on most of the time unless you're competing/racing is better because you won't put as much stress on the powertrain and you won't end up in a tree if something happens

what would be more helpful than a toggle that makes it "turn off" every time you start is something like this:

·
Registered
646 Posts
i was playing around with it one day and with it off it handles like previous wrx's, even before loss of traction or anything, with it on at the same speed through an on ramp, i can feel the back of the car try to slow itself down, its such a damper on an otherwise well handling car. i wish there was a way to turn it off permanetly, i hate it, it relys to much on the computer to handle the car, if i wanted that i would have bought an evo

1 - 19 of 19 Posts