Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, I've recently done my stg 2 upgrade path with a CATLESS dp. I also added a (used) set of perrin headers (the old slip joint style) and GS uppipe. Used DEI titanium wrap on all the pipes. Now, I've read the website FAQs, and I'm aware of the whole smoking/smell burning in process. I've taken it for a few good rips a few days ago and a good drive today (let's say...about 50miles total so far on the odometer). The smoke is gone, but I'm still getting a smell when sitting at a light. I will check tomorrow if there are any exh leaks, but I'm quite sure that it's more from the wrap... with the engine off, and the hood open, I can smell it good from the engine bay. So... question is... does the smell ever go away? Or should I go for a good burn and keep the revs up high most of the time? My wife is really tolerant about my hobby... she doesn't care about the NVH... but I'm thinking that the smell would be the end of the rope here. Thanks! Oh yes... everything was torqued to spec for the downpipe/uppipe/headers. All new GS double thick gaskets.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
hey guys, I've recently done my stg 2 upgrade path with a CATLESS dp. I also added a (used) set of perrin headers (the old slip joint style) and GS uppipe. Used DEI titanium wrap on all the pipes. Now, I've read the website FAQs, and I'm aware of the whole smoking/smell burning in process. I've taken it for a few good rips a few days ago and a good drive today (let's say...about 50miles total so far on the odometer). The smoke is gone, but I'm still getting a smell when sitting at a light. I will check tomorrow if there are any exh leaks, but I'm quite sure that it's more from the wrap... with the engine off, and the hood open, I can smell it good from the engine bay. So... question is... does the smell ever go away? Or should I go for a good burn and keep the revs up high most of the time? My wife is really tolerant about my hobby... she doesn't care about the NVH... but I'm thinking that the smell would be the end of the rope here. Thanks! Oh yes... everything was torqued to spec for the downpipe/uppipe/headers. All new GS double thick gaskets.
mine doesnt smell at all. i wrapped them last year.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts