Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody closely compared dimensions of the 2008 exhaust with the 2009 exhaust yet?

Several searches both here and on NABISCO have yielded nothing :(

I just picked up an '08 sedan (yes, on purpose... and yes, I do know about the '09), and I'm wondering of an '09 take-off will fit.

Also, I am guessing that the 2008 STI exhaust won't fit on the 2008 WRX sedan due to the length, but has anybody modded one (welded an extra couple inches of pipe or something) in to make one fit?

I am looking for something better flowing than the stock '08 exhaust, but even the SPT is a hair too loud for me, I think.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2,745 Posts
A lot of the 09s are coming with the SPTs on them, I'm not sure what they did exhaust wise...

But I'm pretty sure it's not worth the hassle,

If you're going to try and modify an exhaust you might as well get a custom one that suites your styles...

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
the only change is probably the downpipe. there were already pretty big gains to be had by just a downpipe on the 08's.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
yeah, more likely the downpipe and maybe the catalyst has changed. As for containing the noise level, you can either get a downpipe and keep the stock catback, or remove the resonator in the mid-pipe.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, more likely the downpipe and maybe the catalyst has changed. As for containing the noise level, you can either get a downpipe and keep the stock catback, or remove the resonator in the mid-pipe.
I was never a fan of tapering exhaust systems, and that's exactly what you'd (I'd) have with an aftermarket DP running into the stock CB.
I'd rather get a really quiet (but louder than stock, of course) CB, so that all of my emissions equipment (i.e. the two cats) = intact, but the restrictive mufflers are opened up a bit.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
If you get a downpipe with or without high flow cats its going to flow a lot more than the stock cats. You'll get spool much sooner. I do agree with you about tapering the exhaust. Just doing the downpipe without doing the rest of the exhaust will leave quite a bit on the table.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts