Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
That looks exactly like what I'm looking for. I just sent them a message from their site to ask if it will work or if they are planning on building one for the 2008-9 WRX.

Good find!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just wanted to let you guys know I'm about to release this new boost gauge for the 3GWRX.

It is functionally identical to the Legacy version of the VBG1 (Vent boost gauge 1st gen).

You can see pics of that gauge at www.gtboostgauge.com

I was looking for a few beta testers that would be interested in testing fit and function as well as taking some nice pictures of it installed in the dash.

I have it successfully fitted to the vent but I am unsure about install details as I do not have a WRX to test this on.
For their efforts beta testers would get 100 dollars off the gauge, normally 258 they would get it for 158 with free priority shipping. Pictures taken would become property of Gaugetek, LLC and used for installation instructions.

Here are some pics at www.gaugetek.com
Looking forward to your feedback!

Keep us posted if they plan on anything for the 3gs

Attachments

·
Registered
546 Posts
projected date for this beast?

·
Registered
10 Posts
projected date for this beast?

I should have some beta units ready to ship by the end of this week.

This beta test is mainly for fit. Functionality was proven by the legacy beta testers. This is the exact gauge the legacys are using but has a different interface board shaped for the WRX vent. So you can get the idea:

The board stackup:[/size]
http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2826293&postcount=142[/size]

Here is the thread over at legacy GT which goes from creation to the final product:
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/vent-boost-gauge-digital-led-bars-numerics-125083.html?

[/size]There are a few things I'm unsure of:

- How will it look installed?
- Will the sending unit have enough room behind the vent?
-The cable to the sending unit to the display unit is only 18inches.
- How difficult will it be to route the vac tube to the sending unit behind the vent.
- I'm not sure how you guys take out the vent.

Since I don't have a WRX I was hoping to get help from beta testers. Thats where you guys come in.[size=small]

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
wow. im really liking this idea.

i havent read much about this yet but can someone tell me if we have to block the vent to make this operational? also, is this only compatible with the center vents? driver side vent possible for mounting on this? thanks in advance!

subscribed for future info

·
Registered
777 Posts
Thats a nice product. What all can you display? Boost, AFR?

·
Registered
10 Posts
You have to take out two louvers of the vent to install this gauge. The remainder of the vent is 80% functional. Full Left to right louver action, full up and slightly limited down action. It is not compatible with any other vents in the car.

Currently there are two beta testers which will be testing fit and function in the 3gWRX. Hopefully they will have some detailed feedback regarding installation and operation....and some nice Pics too!

Currently the gauge displays AFR via LC-1, Boost pressure and Vac. also has a built in volt meter. The gauge has 5 peak recall with a boost profile plot.

VBG1 specifications:
Inputs:
Voltage 12V – 18Volts
AFR Input 0-5 Volts
Parking lights input 12V = Parking lights ON
Instrumentation:
Voltage accuracy +/- 0.2 Volt
AFR Range 10-20 AFR*
AFR accuracy +/- 0.1 AFR
Boost Pressure Range 0 - 24 Psi (Bar graph Readout)
0 - 35 Psi (Numerical Readout)
Vacuum Range Negative 0 - 24 InHg
Boost / Vacuum accuracy +/- 0.25 PSI
Vacuum resolution 1 InHg
Boost resolution 0.1 PSI

Lots of pics at http://gtboostgauge.com/

·
Registered
10 Posts
wrb08wrx - Got your message - sent you a pm. We have three beta testers for this gauge now. At least two units ship Monday. Thanks to the beta testers for giving this a go!

Video of VBG1-LegacyRHD (right hand drive) shows some of the functionality.

·
Registered
777 Posts
How are those little LED's and both of the displays mounted to the piece of plastic? Would it be easy to adapt that whole unit to fit onto a single DIN panel type of thing? (to go below a 1DIN receiver in the stock 2DIN opening) I guess you could just make a 1DIN panel and have a cutout sized just right to allow everything to show. When I go stage 2, I may sell off my A-pillar pod and Maddad boost gauge for one of these!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Very interesting. I'm partial to mechanical gauges, but if you still need a tester PM me.

I think wrb08wrx will be the third and final beta tester, If wrb08wrx [/size]declines, i will open it up to one more. Two beta units have shipped today. Stay tuned for pictures and install info posted by beta testers.
[/size]
[/size]

·
Registered
777 Posts
Oh cool. So is the PCB permanently stuck to the black plastic cover? If not, you could have all kinds of custom installation possibilities!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts