Subaru WRX Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I got this installed today. I haven't tested it that much yet cuz I had to clean up and get inside for the Pats game...

Here is the unit behind the display, a flat ribbon cable plugs to the display board and just a few wires to hook up (12v+,12-,illum,Wideband input). I wired in the plug, for remove-ability when taking the trim off. The ribbon cable and the sensor unit will be tethered to the trim. The power *has* to be hooked to the "IGN2" circuit in the fusebox, so it does not lose power during cranking as the sensor calibrates during that time.

You need to take the vent unit off the trim panel. There are about 8 clips you will need to gently pry up.

The vent unit is out. Pry out the top two slats, starting from the outside edge.

Two slats out. The right side of each slat is held in two places for the adjusting action, it is a little tough to pop the right side out.

The VBG1 display installed. Vent still functions. You have the crease the ribbon cable and make sure it exits the vent unit above the display on the front side of the vent.

Then you can snap the vents back into the trim. Make sure the ribbon cable is clear of the tabs that secure the vents. It will pass right through between the two pieces.

You can see the ribbon cable from this angle. You will not see it once installed.

From the backside

Tubing kit comes with some semi-rigid type hose and a metal tee. I ran it through one of the grommets behind the intercooler. I usually remove the intercooler and insert it through from the engine side, and retrieve it by sticking my hand up behind the dash from the passenger footwell.

The sensor unit behind the vents. I put it there so the ribbon cable can run up and over the vents when installed.

All back together

I will report more in the coming days with my experience. I ordered an LC-1 as well but I am waiting on a downpipe to get here and it needs a bung welded in before I can get AFR readouts.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Not trying to change the subject but where did u get that gauge cluster for under the cd player
That is a Legacy GT accessory from Subaru. It is really a "DIN Gauge" made by Defi, customized for Subaru. I adapted it to the Impreza which wasn't too hard. They are a little dear to buy new, but I really like them.

Now I have two boost gauges, but I really wanted the oil pressure and temp, good for track days.

·
Super Moderator
3,422 Posts
Sweet looking gauge setup good job :)
I can't wait for mine to land I may see if it will go in the far left of the steering wheel instead :) see if it fits in that vent if not same deal as yours .

I like it more now I see it installed in our car I went on a whim to get it I just ordered the smycluster so now I may have to buy another gauge also oh darn lol . Oil pressure it will be I guess I have the rest :)

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Sweet looking gauge setup good job
I can't wait for mine to land I may see if it will go in the far left of the steering wheel instead see if it fits in that vent if not same deal as yours .

I like it more now I see it installed in our car I went on a whim to get it I just ordered the smycluster so now I may have to buy another gauge also oh darn lol . Oil pressure it will be I guess I have the rest
I don't think it is going to go in that vent. It is a custom fit, and probably too wide for that vent. Not sure how visibility on the left side will be in our car, I think the wheel might block it.

If the left side vent is big enough for the display, a unit could be cut to fit that side. I guess that would be up to Andy if he would want to do that or not.

I really like the thing, a very compact way to have boost, volts and A/F and you have the warning, peak recall, graphing features, etc that you get with an electronic device.

Can they be ordered without the gauges?
The DIN gauge is one single unit, can't mount other gauges in it. When I was researching, I found there are a few DIN sized gauge panels out there.

·
Super Moderator
3,422 Posts
Well then I guess the middle vent is where it will have to go I am not home and haven't even driven my car in months I forget what it even sounds like :( I an at work till the 26th so I will get it all figured out when I get back :)

How's the gauge seem to work for ya ?

Also I was wondering about the lc1 hook up if it uses the jack plug or just will wire into the gauge wiring .

Thanks deon m

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I like your progress with that boost gauge, please keep this thread updated as to how you like it... very interested in it

·
Registered
941 Posts
The power *has* to be hooked to the "IGN2" circuit in the fusebox, so it does not lose power during cranking as the sensor calibrates during that time.
What fuse are you using for this function?

I have a Defi boost gauge, and I can't seem to get it to stay on during cranking. It always restarts :(

·
Registered
39 Posts
Also very interested... Just a quick question....
The one you're designing for the 08-11 WRX, will it fit both the left and right vents? or just left?

Reason i ask is because I'm from Australia and our cars are RHD....

Cheers!
Kenny

·
Registered
21 Posts
Man, I can't wait for this to be available. Just what I've been looking for. I'll be ordering ASAP once completed and confirmed to fit properly... Keep up the good work

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
So I have had some driving time with this gauge and I am liking it. I like the auto peak recall feature the best. You can set the "minimum peak" which is like a boost floor, I set it to 7psi. So every time I get on it and go over 7psi, it will start recording the peak boost, and then when I come down below 7psi for a little time, it will show the peak boost on the left side, and a little graph of the peak boost over the last 10 secs on the right side display. The unit knows enough to not trigger the peak display after a gear change, it will not be until I let off that it displays the peak. It is really cool, because I only have time to check what my peak boost was after I am done getting on it, the red LED strip that mimics the boost level is useful for a quick glance.

Everything above is adjustable: The minimum peak boost, how long it will display the peak boost after you come off boost(you can even turn it off), the period of time that the graph covers, the scale of the boost graph, and even a beeping/flashing boost alarm warning... very adjustable to exactly how you like it.

With the touch sensitive buttons, it looks clean. The display is OLED and it has a built in light sensor so brightness is adjusted automatically. Of course like everything with this unit, you can customize it in the menus (use illumination input or light sensor, adjust max and min brightness of OLED and boost LED strip display independently)

I like the speed of the display, and cold weather doesn't affect it. As you should have figured by now, the display update rate is adjustable, I am using the default medium, but there are slower and faster settings.

Only odd thing I noticed is there is a quick "flick" of the display when it goes from Vac to Boost mode. Like the display goes off and comes back on really quickly. Doesn't seem to affect operation, just an interesting behavior.

I also wonder, if the sensor calibrates every time the car is started, that this gauge is affected by altitude in a different way than other gauges? Mechanical gauges are calibrated once at the factory, and my experience with other electric boost gauges seem to indicate they are the same too. So I assume that a factory calibrated gauge is comparing boost to the air pressure at the factory when it was calibrated, whereas this gauge will be comparing boost to the air pressure when you last started the car. I think the latter might be more accurate to actual boost.

Overall I think this gauge is pretty freaking cool. It will be a little time before I have the parts to hook up the A/F input, but I am looking forward to having that readout. I think the unit will recall and graph the A/F as well.

Also I was wondering about the lc1 hook up if it uses the jack plug or just will wire into the gauge wiring .

Thanks deon m
I am not familiar with the LC-1 at all. I haven't even opened the box yet. The VBG1 has just a single wire input to the gauge for the LC-1, and the instructions suggest you ground the gauge to the same location as the LC-1 control module, probably for most accurate readings to the VBG1.

What fuse are you using for this function?

I have a Defi boost gauge, and I can't seem to get it to stay on during cranking. It always restarts :(
Have a look at your fuse box, lower right corner. On the map on the fusebox cover it should be labelled "IGN2" and have a 7.5 amp fuse in it. That one is not interrupted during cranking.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Have a look at your fuse box, lower right corner. On the map on the fusebox cover it should be labelled "IGN2" and have a 7.5 amp fuse in it. That one is not interrupted during cranking.
Thank you. I will try this fuse. I believe mine just say "IG 2" and I wasn't sure if that was IGN or not so I didn't try it.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Thank you. I will try this fuse. I believe mine just say "IG 2" and I wasn't sure if that was IGN or not so I didn't try it.
I am probably just not remembering it right, that sounds like the right one!

·
Registered
941 Posts
Thanks, I will give that a try!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I am also looking for this, depending on the ETA I'll wait cause this is much more my cup of tea. The smycluster is a good second option though.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I just want this becasue i wont have to buy all kinda different gauges and a cluster to hold them all and bla bla bla. This is an all-in-one gauge and props to the maker.

Too bad for me though, excuse me for my language but im retarded when it comes to electronics and prob. wont be able to install this myself without messing something up. lol

Def. keep us updated though.

·
Registered
418 Posts
By the way dude, you have a VERY nice website. Very up to date, futuristic and everything.

Im wondering if i would take this to the dealer and ask them to install it if they would or not.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts