Registered
1,843 Posts
Total waste of money, but that quite fun to see in action

Im still seaching online to be sure its legit... sound like a prank to me

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, i think its atechnology being marketed to the car manufacturers, not really marketed for the aftermarket commercial market.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
The door portion of those videos aren't real, it's CG. It's really good computer animation though. Sorry guys, I'm a 3D artist and graphic designer and I can tell a fake when I see it.

I'm pretty sure if you called them they'd ask you to send a downpayment for installation and then they'd disappear ;)

OR...

They are *pretty sure* that they can produce one, but haven't actually done it yet, so they used CG instead of real video.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If these 'invisible doors' are real, it would really suck if there was a malfunction. Try driving in winter when your door doesn't close.

·
Registered
81 Posts
looks like that video was shot in the detroit area. the fox theater and second city are on woodward across from comerica park. if those video's are fake, than someone went to a lot of trouble...there's a lot of stuff in those videos that most people wouldn't think to include in CG...that, and the quality of the video itself is pretty low budget. leads me to assume that if they didn't have the money to shoot the video right then they definitely didn't have the money to to the kind of vfx work it would take to integrate those doors the way they did. my guess is, the doors are real...but like rallyshark said "I'm pretty sure if you called them they'd ask you to send a downpayment for installation and then they'd disappear"...i'm thinking, they built those cars as "proof of concept" but that they work about as well as concept cars do at autoshows...those things work just enough to pass as functional for the press, after that they're nothing more that expensive (and shiny) paperweights.

that bimmer is pretty sweet though
-b

·
Registered
85 Posts
This is a real ford project farmed out to a developer to see whats possible. Not CG. Most of the demo cars were destroyed but at least one made it, was sold on ebay last year. A little more research on the internet and you can find the discussion threads.

A really nice idea, my friend has a MKVIII and the doors are damn huge.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts