Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this has been added here before or not, but thought I'd post up.

THE WHY:
Got the idea from my friend and his 08 STi. Basically, this removes the flat, fresh air inlet piece in front of the airbox. While it draws in fresh air, it seems to be very restrictive. After removal, it leaves approx a 3" x 3" square hole in the front of the airbox. I monitored intake temps with the Cobb AP and did not notice much increase if any. What I did notice was improved throttle response (and increased intake noise as a side effect). In some cases, you can also hear the stock BPV venting but it is barely audible. This may be improved with a aftermarket panel filter if sound is what you are after.

THE HOW:
Take a phillips screwdriver and turn each (n=2) plastic phillips-head clip a quarter-turn to the left. Pull the flat plastic piece off. That is all there is to it!!! Literally, a 5 second mod. 8)

If you don't like it, put it back on. Equally easy/quick.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I just took my fresh air box fresh inlet and I noticed a little bit better throttle response, and plus it sounds mean. I was wondering if there is anything I should be worried about after taking it off. Can I damage the car in any way by letting unnecessary objects through the square hole on the air box?

Thanks

·
Registered
577 Posts
yes... it can do harm. an open hole with nothing blocking it can let larger objects in....but it seems like that area of the engine bay is pretty well sealed to let such large objects in.

but it may help somewhat with the throttle response... I actually just tried it.... it does sound good with the perrin panel filter. you can hear the BOV a little bit more. but its not a huge improvement.

I think I will just leave it on. and maybe take it off here and there when going on drives ;D

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Thought I'd provide a bit of info. The stock box does get heat soak, and while the fresh air snorkel looks like it is restrictive, which it is. It's main purpose is to rapidly decrease the IATs back to close to ambient once the car is moving. Its not to really provide "ram air" additional hp or anything. I am sure what you are feeling is correct but think of how slowly your IATs are now dropping while moving since the snorkel has been removed.

P.S I loved the sound also.

·
Registered
577 Posts
thanks for the great info again!

its a pleasure having you around!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
i just did it on my lunch break and i didnt notice any sound difference, though i did notice a decent improvement in throttle response before getting into boost. it doesnt seem to bog as much at low RPMs. The accelleration seems much more crisp. With the whole heat soak thing though. Does anyone think leaving the snorkel off will create any problems? i understand its there to reduce the IATs but CincyWRX said he monitored them with his AP and didnt notice much difference. I can see heat soak problems arising if youre running a day at the track without it but other than that it seems to me it would be fine. someone please correct me if im wrong

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Heat soak during daily driving is predominantly caused when waiting at a light . This would be where you would notice the most performance loss. If the snorkel is removed, it will take you longer to reach ambient temps again when moving. If this doesn't bug you then feel free. I noticed that when I did this a while back, that the idle was very low (about 500rpm) or so and the initial take off was slow. This would actually be less of an issue if you are on the track as you are constantly moving, but if engine temps rise enough, then yes, it could also be an issue due to the lack of fresh air cooling down the intake air charge.

Either way, if it doesn't bug you and you like the sounds, its a win win for you.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
oh, alright. that makes sense. thanks for the help. it never really gets too hot (<80) here so i think i should be fine. most of the heatsoak issues ive read about are from people who live in high temp areas. Ive actually decided on getting a short ram in the future partly for the same reason. Since it rains like 300 days a year (i honestly dont know how many, but its A LOT) here in Seattle i think if i got a CAI the filter would get disgusting and clog very quickly. Most of what im going off of is all stuff ive read in the forums so i know some isnt right but i try and learn what i can. But so far removing the snorkel was probably the easiest, noticable mod ive ever done.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
wtf is that?! it looks like a great setup. its still in the main engine bay so it will stay clean, its got the snorkel bringing in cool air, yet its not restricted to only that air so you can still get great flow. is this a DIY? more info please! ;D

looks like theyre front mounted as well. very nice

·
Registered
577 Posts
that's a pretty slick set up.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
like this.sounds great and cost nothing.i did this like 6 months ago.used a dremel.then just put the fresh air piece back on.once you put that on you cant even see the cutout from above.i got a avo panel filter also.the turbo and stock bov is much louder with my perrin stage 1 map.i love it .

Attachments

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I was gonna write instructions but 424 beat me to it ;)
Yeah although there are no performance gains to be had, it gives you the sounds similar to that of the short ram intake. Also for the purposes of the OP, I think this is a better way to get the results he was hoping for while maintaining the OEM snorkel to help cool down IATs while moving. It'll give a 3whp if he decides to run a drop-in filter though :) (only from the drop-in) ;)

·
Registered
988 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
i noticed an increase in throttle response. it has a sharper accelleration out of boost. say what you will, but i know my car, and i can feel a difference.

so how come tougemonster's pic has it angled and 424s doesnt? would it matter? does it have to do with the intercooler piping?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Twist from the pipe and it should be the same. The pic just has the snorkel still in place so it was probably a good idea to the original photographer to let people see it from a better angle.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
i know there is no performance gain on my car.it just sounds alot better and cost nothing compared to buying a shortram.to each his own.i like it.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
would this potentially cause me any trouble with my warranty?
Not unless you decide to show the dealership that youdecided to hack ;) up your own intake box.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts