Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Edit: Added a switch to flick when I don't need full functions.

I do not advise watching a movie while driving. Let the passenger do all the work! I'm sure there are better ways of doing this, but this is how I did it.

What you need:
22Ga Wire
22Ga Quick Connects
22Ga Ring Terminal
Wire Strippers
Crimper
Switch

There may be easier ways but, this is how I did it.

1) Take the E-Brake Boot off

2)Open the Counsel Thing and unscrew the 2 screws

3)Unscrew the screw that holds the entire piece in.

4)Slightly life up to unlatch the front part from the shifter part. Slide trim backwards. (The white thing on the top part of it holds the thing in hence why you have to slide it backwards) Then just lean it on back seat to keep it out of your way.

5) Unscrew the shifter, take trim off. Undo all inside stuff if you wish. I took mine out when I installed short shifter and never saw the need to put it back in. (No pictures here)

6) Make room so you can work around the E-Brake. (Picture is blurry and to lazy to go unhook everything again)

7) Locate a plastic piece that latches on to the E-Brake. It should have a gray wire with it. You can take this part out and leave it with all your other car stuff as it isn't needed but since I already have a messy enough place I decided to leave it there and crimp a connector on if I ever decide to sell the car I'll just hook it back up to the E-Brake.

8) Since radio shack didn't have any 22ga ring terminals I just soldered a 22ga wire on to a 10-12ga terminal and crimped that. I put on a connector on the other end. (Picture shows me using a smaller wire, I think in my car it self I have it atleast twice as long.)

9) Crimp on the other connector to the gray wire.

10) Now I just used the other side of the screw where the black thing was latched on to for the ground, I took that off and put the ring terminal on and put it back all together.

11) Connect the gray to the new grounded wire and viola you now have a full functional navigation system!

http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g308/snwbdr94/?action=view&current=349d515a.flv"]
[/URL]

Sorry for the poor video. Driving and taking a video + shifting = not so great video/driving/shifting.

If you wish to have a switch, put it in the middle of the new connections with the 22ga male/female. Since the switch I had was a 12ga relay, I just added new wire with female 22ga on one end and 12 Male on other. (Other end was 22ga male with 12ga male).

There is minimal lag when switching it on/off. Right now I wired it thru the shift boot and its just chilling there until I figure out a new spot for it.

Hopefully this takes care of all those how to bypass the new Nav system!!!

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I dunno how it work for you but here in quebec if you have a accident with your car your insurance compagnu WILL NOT PAY anything if they found that the parking security was bypass... and trust me there job is to hunt for this kind of thing.... if the live of somebody is involved it will get worst

So... Just be aware of the consequence of bypassing it

on another side, i also removed that center console a few days ago to install the parking switch on my turbo timer its quite easy to reach, nice how to :)

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Updated as I installed a switch which ungrounds the connection. Gets rid of brake light, still probably doesn't help with the laws in Canada but... for those wanting a switch it took about 2 minutes to do.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Updated as I installed a switch which ungrounds the connection. Gets rid of brake light, still probably doesn't help with the laws in Canada but... for those wanting a switch it took about 2 minutes to do.

I did exactly what "snwbdr94" wrote just spliced a wire leaving the black connector only problem is the brake light stays on.

also the grey wire with the black connector has some slack you can pull it about one half inches out which makes it much easier to work with.

I guess my question is :

Can you give detail on what switch you used how to connect etc to get rid of brake light(pics would help) and make it functional like stock.

This is a great write up I will try to get some more pictures up this weekend.

Thanks to snwbdr94 for this great DIY post.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You'll get the brake light if you want to bypass the security there at the ground. Only reason for the switch is when I don't need to bypass and not want the light.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Figured it out from the WEBJOGGER, and "IWSTI" website. Behind the navigation the switch harness switch closest to the drivers side/top left (flat white) has a GREY wire(next to brown wire 4th one). You want to cut the GREY wire (do not remove from harness just cut) and splice another wire(speaker wire works) to the GREY wire connected to the harness and ground it anywhere(best place is the screw that holds navigation in place works fine). Tape off the other end of GREY wire. That's it e-brake works navigation works while driving and so does the DVD. One problem I encountered was my cruise control no longer works and TPMS light came on I believe it is a blown fuse according to someone else who encountered the same problem. I will post again soon as I figure it out. Also it very easy to remove the trim surrounding the navigation just set it in eject mode and slight pull on the trim comes right off it is just clips holding it place.

·
Registered
7 Posts
All you have to do is ground the wire that goes to the e-brake that is behind the Head Unit. Everything works perfectly, no CEL, or issues. Just go to a stereo install shop, it costs like $25.

·
Registered
91 Posts
All you have to do is ground the wire that goes to the e-brake that is behind the Head Unit. Everything works perfectly, no CEL, or issues. Just go to a stereo install shop, it costs like .
Using that method...does your cruise control work?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts