Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put a few hours aside today to put this together to maybe help some people. Took about 3 hours total from start to finish. I didn't paint the light surrounding, just the reflector. Thanks to YTDiamond05 for helping. :)

Tools needed:
12mm Socket
#1 Philips screw drive
#2 Philips screw drive
Panel pop
Gloves
Drill (optional)
Razor (to cut the silicone when pulling the light apart)
Paint

Paint used

Step 1:
Start off by removing 6 plastic push clips, 4 in the grill and 1 in each of the head lights, and removing 2 screws in the top of the head lights pictured below, and remove the two clips in fender well, one is a push clip another is a Philips clip. There also clips on the bottom of the bumper attached to the splash guard.

Step 2:
Remove the bumper.

Step 3:
Preheat oven to 220 F degrees.

Step 4:
There are 5 screws that hold the light in, one of which was removed in the first step. Pictured here are the others that need to be removed. There is one harness that plugs into the back of the light housing.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Step 5:
Once the light is removed you have to take off the bracket on the bottom of the light.

Step 6:
Remove the 5 small screws that hold the front lenses on.

Step 7:
Your oven should be up to temp after the last two steps. Put in oven on a cookie sheet, you do not need to remove the lights, harnesses, your choice. Leave it in for about 10-15 minutes to soften up the sealant holding the lense together to the light.

Step 8:
Remove the housing from the oven, make sure you use glove. Slowly pry open the housing. Careful not to pry too hard and crack the lense.

Once it's past the clips, it should come apart easily, just go slow.

Here is what you end up with:

If you want to paint the black housing with the chrome ring you have to remove a few more screws.

Step 9:
The reflector has two screws holding it on. I don't have any pictures of the painting, but I painted both side of the reflector with 4 light coats. Putting it back in...

Painted reflector:

Step 10:
Put the lense back on the housing, and put it back in the oven, still on 220 for 10 minutes. After it heats up remove it and make sure you put the screws back in. Screwing it together should tighten up the housing pretty good, and make sure there are no gaps between the housing and the lense. Reinstall the bracket on the bottom of the housing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
nice work!!!! but I'm wondering do you need to re-set the aimming of the headlight after??

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There was no adjustments made to the lights, just the housing.

There is only a little bit of adjusting once you get them in, and only so far off it can be because everything has to line up to bolt back in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There was no adjustments made to the lights, just the housing.

There is only a little bit of adjusting once you get them in, and only so far off it can be because everything has to line up to bolt back in.

ooo great thx a lot for the write up now I'm ready to attack it! =)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm going to pull them again and paint a little more (the chrome ring) and replace the amber bulbs with chrome ones, so there will no amber shown in the lights, unless the turn signals are on.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
just fyi, it's illegal to remove the amber reflectors in the front of the cars in the USA. I don't care - I think it looks good, but beware of tickets.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
but lacking reflectors is a little more noticeable

it's up there with having red and blue lights on your car when you're not a cop

however with it not being implemented into the bumper, and being a new car no one knows yet, the police probably won't hassle you... I'm just throwing the info out there.

·
Registered
519 Posts
That was one of the best DIY I have seen. Great job.

Seth

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'd love to see some more "after" photos. I'm not yet convinced of the visual improvement... but I want to be! :D

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will have better pictures tomorrow hopfully. I ordered new chrome bulbs Sunday so I hope they are here by tomorrow so I can throw them in and I plan on detailing my car tomorrow so day pictures will be much better then what's posted. It's kinda hard to really see whats done here.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wash and QD today. New bulbs came in today, soon to swap out the amber bulbs.

So pearly!

Didn't bother cleaning the wheels or tires, got a set of BBS's.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts