Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm going to attempt to guide you through this install.

First off,

The car: 08 WRX 5-Door 5MT

The mods (relevant): Invidia Catback Exhaust, Perrin up pipe, AP lightened crank pulley, Cobb AP (currently stage 1), and STOCK INTAKE

Okay I don't know how to mix the pictures with the text, so i'll circle all the important stuff on the pictures and put them IN ORDER at the end.

1st I went out and drove around to check my AFR and peak boost levels. Everything seemed to be hitting in the right range.

Next, pop the hood and get to work on the intercooler. On the intercooler, it's all 12mm bolts except for the two on the BOV. After getting rid of the bolts, loosen the hose clamp (flat head screw driver) directly below the BOV hose. It's the bigger hose that looks identical to the ones on your intake and it's the only one that attaches direct to the intercooler. Also, there is a hose on the long bracket thing. That should just pop out of it's plastic holder.

After the intercooler is removed, take off the support bracket. 2 12 MM blocks on engine block. Not sure if this step is necessary, but I was told to do so.

Remove turbo heat shield. 6 10 MM bolts. This is a pain in the ass. I didn't get a picture of all of the bolts, but they are in obvious spots.

now, with the turbo revealed, there are 3 14MM nuts and 2 14MM bolts connecting the downpipe directly to the turbo. I suggest having a friend take these off as it's easy to ding your knuckles up when the bolts crack. Also, be careful to twist the bolts the right direction. The bolts twist opposite the nuts.

There is another bolt (14mm) on a support bracket down by the transmission and stuff. This is the first support bolt and it's reachable from under the hood. just get a wrench on it an push towards the ground.

Now you need to jack the car up, put it on a lift, w/e. Just don't let it fall on you.
You can do the rest of the job a few different ways, but this is how i did it:

1st I unbolted the downpipe from my exhaust. This is self explanatory, no pictures needed. If you have a stock catback you're dealing with 2 14MM spring bolts. With my invidia catback there are 2 12 MM reg. bolts.

2nd, unbolt the 2nd support bolt (14MM). I forgot to take pictures of this while under the car, but i took some when i finally got the pipe out. After that bolt it out, you just push up and forwards (towards the front bumper) on the whole DP and it will detach from the hanger. CAREFUL, DON"T LET IT TOUCH THE GROUND BECAUSE YOU"RE O2 SENSOR IS STILL CONNECTED.

The O2 sensor is on top of the resonator thingy. The one closest to the catback exhaust. I just propped up the downpipe on my skateboard so the O2 sensor cord didn't get hurt. Next I followed the wire up like 6 inches and disconnected it from the car (it just pops out of a connector thingy). This way I could put it on the new downpipe easier.

Now the downpipe is ready to come out and your new one is ready to go in.

Unfortunately, my DP doesn't get in for another day. I wanted to make sure I didn't run into any problems. I wanted to make sure that the day it got in it would be in the car so I did half the work early. I'll post pictures of the install if necessary and let everyone know how the car runs. I'm planning on just doing the Cobb stage 2 map. I know that everyone likes the perrin maps more, but those cost more money.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Rest of Pics

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Final Pic for now