Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if the process is the same as before and if anyone has done it to theirs yet.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
i have done it its the same but the chrome bar in the back of the 5dr is rly skimpy plastik so dont apply direct heat to it

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pics or a guide from you courageous peeps? ;)

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
painted mine glittery red.

DIY:

CAREFULLY peel the plastic emblem from the grille. it's sitting inside the black plastic oval -- you want to use a plastic car emblem pry type device or a credit card or something as to not scratch the emblem, stick it between the chrome outline and black backing plate

peel it back, it's stuck on with double sided tape

once you have it off you can use something like nail polish remover or alcohol to carefully remove the blue glitter paint. don't sand it or it'll turn dull.

once you have it cleared, the rest is obvious.

I kind of want to buy the one that goes on the STi grille -- it's bigger and checkered... or I might just buy an STi grille and paint the upper "wing" part black

·
Registered
646 Posts
i was modifying an I like this to do black and white but my friend messed it up..but the paint came right off the back

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
clearcoat will keep the paint from peeling off when you put double sided tape on there

but keep in mind it has to dry first

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thought I would BUMP this up again since I still want to do it.

Anyone done it already can you post a how-to with pics

or pics of someone that already did this?

I want my shiny pink one again but no one makes these yet :'(

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
eminehart made a Red "I" badge, but I don't know if thats the same!

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pics anyone? :)

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I stripped the paint of the back with nail polish remover. Then repainted with lightning red touch up paint.
I put the emblem back on with silicone. So I could remove it again if I wanted.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks good I really should buy some spare emblems to do this. Thanks

·
Registered
821 Posts
Looks good I really should buy some spare emblems to do this. Thanks
x2. i wonder how it would look with some SWP paint in there? i have a feeling the silver stars would probably get lost/blend into the SWP though.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I still want pink

·
Super Moderator
2,745 Posts
I loved the Pink emblems when I saw them,

My indoor soccer team was pink and black and we made a bunch of pink shirts that said "Real Men Wear Pink" across the back...

Thought it was perfect haha..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Some Tips if you plan on doing this mod:

1.) When removing use a hairdryer to soften the double sided tape (its pretty strong)
2.) when removing the badge use a knife with a thin sharp tip and hammer it into the left hand corner of the badge where the silver star meets the edge. The star is indented there and makes it easy to pound the knife into the corner and pry up.
3.) Once you have the badge removed use Brake Cleaner to remove the paint, but be sure to cover the front of the badge with tape because the brake cleaner will distort the smooth appearance if its gets onto it. I tried nailpolish and its a huge PITA, so just use brake cleaner.
4.) just use some simple double sided tape to put the badge back on.

·
Registered
43 Posts

or you can paint what ever u like.. how about something Japanese?
the badge was changed for demonstration purposes.. it has now been sprayed black

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
quick question, how do you get the rear emblem off?
08 WRX or 09 WRX or STI.

The 08 WRX's emblem is part of the chrome piece. The STI or 09WRX is held on with just sticky tape on the back. I heated it up with a heat gun and pulled it off. You could also used the dental floss trick to saw it off.

I recently found that goof off is great for taking the paint off the back of the emblem.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts