Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Elsewhere in the world, fog lights are actually useful, because you can turn them on without having the headlights on, so that they shine in that small space between the fog and the road, instead of reflecting back from the fog like low beams do here in the U.S. Over here, the gubmint has decided that we're too stupid to remember that our fog lights are on and our headlights are off when there's no fog, so the fogs only come on if the low beams are also on, thus guaranteeing that we can't see a damned thing when it's foggy.

I'd like to be able to turn my fog lights on with my headlights OFF.

Thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Make that two! To your point: exactly! What use are they when my low beams are blinding me out, anyway?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
just re-route it into the parking lights instead of the low beams

keep in mind your daytime running lights are always on, so you'll still have glare in actual fog unless you disable the running lights

also one easier way to help is to get yellow bulbs in your fog lights

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just re-route it into the parking lights instead of the low beams
Well, yeah, but the devil is in the details. Do I tear into the stalk, or is there a junction somewhere else that requires surgery?

keep in mind your daytime running lights are always on, so you'll still have glare in actual fog unless you disable the running lights
Good point.

also one easier way to help is to get yellow bulbs in your fog lights
I suppose I could try that. I wonder how well it works in practice.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
people all over use the Nokya yellow 55w H3 bulbs (I think H3 is the fog light bulb - double check the owner's manual)

they're plug-and-play compatible with your stock system so no new wiring is needed, and it will improve fog and snow driving a lot since yellow light doesn't refract off of water/snow like white light does.

keep in mind nothing is going to cut through very thick fog or snow, ever, and you probably shouldn't drive if you can't see at least 1000ft in front of you.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
The fog bulbs are 9006 and im using the Nokya 2500K and love them, easy plug n play and they are just 20$... i like the glow of those bulb on the fresh snow.. so bad i cant catch it with my camera

·
Registered
7 Posts
I used these ones called BEAM BOY
The packing of the box, is very professional, and nice.
Never seen Nokya before but i love to try.

My fogs are about 2300K yellow.
Got them from Hong Kong for about 185hkd so around 20CAD

Long lasting and bright ect.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'd have to do some more investigation to figure this one out...but if someone has the wiring diagrams available, here is the concept (based off this exact mod I did to my previous RX8):

1) The foglights run off of a relay, which has a "trigger" wire that when supplied with the low amperage current from the stalk switch, triggers the relay to switch on high amperage current to the foglights, essentially turning them on (and isolating that high amp circuit from the switch)

2) This "trigger" wire is given signal from the headlight trigger relay, meaning the foglight relay will only see power when the headlight relay sees power

3) To let the foglights operate as factory intended (same auto off options, etc etc), you must do 2 things:
a) Cut the existing "trigger wire" to the foglight relay (cap off the end going into the harness)
b) Connect a wire tap from the PARKING LIGHT relay "trigger" to the pig tail left from the previous step on the foglight relay

An alternative is finding a constant (fused) power source, or an ignition controlled power source, to connect to the foglight relay if you'd like to manually control the foglights using the foglight off/on switch independent of whether parking or headlights are on. But I prefer a more factory concept, being able to leave the foglight switch in the on position all the time, and having them operate with the parking lights.

If nobody can find the wiring diagrams, I'll try to play around with it this weekend and see what I can find out.

·
Registered
344 Posts
USA DRIVERS:
Keep in mind, that it is illegal in the states to run w/o headlights(ie. only fogs) at night or in dark/night fog. Now with that said, yes the fogs are much more useful w/o headlights relfecting all that extra light back at you. Damn the stupid laws :mad:

·
Registered
916 Posts
well let me chime in. what i did on my previous truck (2006 nissan titan) was make a jumper wire for the fuse box. it was a wire... with a fuse soldered on each end of it. one fuse plugs into the fog light spot in the fuse box, and the other plugs into a constant (tail light fuse spot) now bear in mind i used a blown fuse in the fog light position....as to not double fuse anything, or overheat wires. basically it makes your fogs run of the tail light fuse. and i NEVER had a problem with that blowing,even though it was a smaller fuse then the taillights. now this made it so that your fogs were on anytime your parking lights were on (cause tails come on with your parking lights) regarless of where your fog light switch was. it was non-opperational. but this could all be put back to stock by just removing the jumper wire, and replacing the fuses. very slick cause you dont have to cut wires.....and it can be put back easily.

now all that said.... this was VERY easy to do on my truck seeing that the fuses for the parking lights and the fog lights were in the same fuse box.... like 3 inches apart. i have taken a look at this car cause i wanted to do this. and the fuse for the fogs are under the hood in that fuse box, and the tail light fuse is in the fuse box next to the driver left knee. (or vice-versa) so this wouldnt be all that easily done. your going to have to run a LONG wire. and push it into the fise box...... its doable, but WAY more work.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I don't think the fog lights in the 08/09 impreza were really intended to actually aid visibility, rather than just look cool. The light output is really pitiful and the light pattern isn't the kind of thing that you would really find useful in foggy conditions either.

As far as yellow lights cutting through fog better, that's more or less a rumor. It sounds like it makes sense, though in practice it really offers no benefit. Still, yellow fogs are something different at least.

·
Registered
954 Posts
hmmm . . . .im goin to try this, maybe this weekend, i have the same problems where the foglights dont even do anythign cause the headlights suck. and btw, just pull the DRL unti from behidn the bumper and bam! DRL problem solved

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts
lurker or anyone else try this yet? i really want my hid yellow fogs on with my halos that are currently wired to the parking lights. i feel like it would look mean as all get out.

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts
modx - i was the one who replied in your original thread, the next day after my post here i did a pretty simple mod and spliced and soldered the driving light wire (green) to the fog light positive cable going to the fog and i had my desired solution! ;)

·
Registered
782 Posts
modx - i was the one who replied in your original thread, the next day after my post here i did a pretty simple mod and spliced and soldered the driving light wire (green) to the fog light positive cable going to the fog and i had my desired solution! ;)
can you elaborate on this im interested in doing this got any pictures?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts