Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DIY: "Stained Glass" foglight tinting!

Well, I didn't feel like waiting around any longer for tint, and never really wanted to pay $20 for a sheet of sticky vinyl as it was. So I went to Michael's craft store and picked up a can of Krylon Stained Glass paint for $4.

Tested the color out on a bottle first to make sure it was the color I wanted. The color on the cap of the spraypaint container looked nothing like thet actual color (thankfully).

On the 08's you need to remove the bumper to remove the foglights. Luckily the bumper is easy to take off--takes all of 5 minutes.

Here are the foglights removed from the bumper. You can see the yellow tint inside. That is from the yellow dichronic bulbs I all ready had in them. I removed the light housing from the brackets to paint. If you mask off the brackets well you don't need to remove the untit from the brackets.

Lightly sand the lense and then clean with alcohol to remove any grease or fingerprints.

Spray evenly over the surface, at least 12in from the lense. I did two coats, 30min apart, and then waited the recommended 3 hours before reinstalling them.

Back in the brackets.

Installed the fogs back into the bumper and then put the bumper back on my car.

Back together! All done.

Hope someone finds this helpful. I still have a good amount of paint left in the can if someone else would like to give this a try.

Best,

E

·
Registered
327 Posts
Re: DIY: "Stained Glass" foglight tinting!

Let us know how it holds up. Did you put any sort of clearcoat/protectant on it or was it not needed?

·
Registered
700 Posts

i have done the yellow stained glass before on fogs. it holds for bout 2 years before it really loses its shine. then just paint thin the old stuff and spray some new. i was thinking of getting the red and doing my tail lights

·
Registered
646 Posts

nice, ill probbaly end up doing this if i ever put my fogs back in...and you can do the tails to. i did mine with red anodized paint. they turned out great.i taped off the signals and reverse lights, they look very oem.... agian, like the diy lip. my cpu crashed so i lost all my pics to do a write up...but great job on the diy, way to think outside the box

·
Registered
1,110 Posts

I did something very similar. I didn't want to commit to the color so I find a nice easier alternative than painting the actual fog lamp. I ordered the fog light protector that subaru sells and painted that with krylon stain glass paint. Came out pretty good...I couldn't get that glass like finish, it was more like actual stain glass where it was a little frosty with very fine grainy finish. At first glance it looks OEM, and the only way to see the grainy finish is to get right up to the lens. It would be nice if there were something where if you can soak it overnight or something where it actually will stain the finish. nice DYI regardless.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I didn't clear mine when I did it originally. I am redoing them sometime in December and clearing them that time around. I just didn't have time last time I did them as I waited a couple hours in between coats and had to get them done in a day.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts

Wow man, looks really good!!! I'm definately going to do this soon!!!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Wow man, looks really good!!! I'm definately going to do this soon!!!
Just make sure you put a few coats of clear on them and let everything cure for a while and you'll be happy :)

·
Registered
132 Posts

What benefit do you get from that? Looks identical to mine with yellow polar bulbs? - just curious

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

^^^ They are still yellow when the lights are off.

I have Hella yellow bulbs as well, painting the lens makes them even more yellow.

PS... a local guy just did this same mod but painted the inside of the lens instead of the outside. I will let you guys know how it holds up.

·
Super Moderator
2,745 Posts

It's growing on me...

Haha I really didn't like it at first even driving to work this morning I saw someone with yellow fogs and was like well maybe I do like it...

What color did you end up using? Or is there just one yellow they sell?

·
Registered
954 Posts

i did this about 4 months ago and have drivin through rain, salt, sleet, snow, ice etc . . .and mine are still holdin up good

·
Super Moderator
2,745 Posts

Did you guys have to do any buffing or wet sanding to get a good finish...

Or just spray on and forget?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts