Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you tired of having to use a key to get into your car? How about pushing that button on your remote to unlock or lock your car? Do you find yourself walking to an unlocked car when you could have sworn you locked the car? Do you not like having to aim that little ass key into the keyhole on your steering column? Are you like me and hate having to remove and place your keys in and out of your pockets? Do you wish your car was as technologically advanced as the new cars that are keyless?

If you answered Yes to any of the questions above this DIY might be for you.

Before we go any further I would like to state that I or 3Gwrx.com take no responsibility for any damages incurred if you attempt this install yourself.

First things first you will need to know how to Splice 2 wires together, here are a few ways it can be done, the right and wrong ways.
Wrong way #1: "Strip back the insulation and twist them up"​
This is a very good way to make sparks and ruin the CD player you just spent all your rent money on. Twisting up wires is a poor electrical connection with excessive resistance and can short to any of the 11 or so other deck wires or to the chassis. The connections is also mechanically poor due to the fact that it may be pulled or vibrate loose at any second.​
DO NOT do this.
Wrong way #2 "Strip back the insulation, twist, and electrical tape"
Although this adds a little insulation to the above first option, it often falls off the second you put the deck in. This then suffers from all the negatives of the 1[sup]st[/sup] connection.
Again do NOT do this!
Wrong way #3 "Wire Nuts"
Wire nuts are acceptable for home applications where the wire is not moving in a wall. But in cars they tend to vibrate off the wire. These also have a higher added resistance than other methods.
Do not use this method in a car!
Right way #1 "Butt Soldering"
Some shops swear by this method while others curse it for taking up too much install time. This connection is physically and electrically sound while being cheap as well. This connection also needs some form of insulation such as electrical tape or heat shrink.

Over all, soldering is the best connection method.
Right way #2 "Butt/Barrel Crimp Connectors"
Again, some shops swear by this method for its speed, while others enforce soldering only. There are insulated and non-insulated barrel (butt) connectors both being either seamed or seamless.

The differences between seamed and seamless are mainly price (seamless cost more) and crimping methods. With seamed barrels there is a split running the length of the barrel. If crimping is done on both sides of the seam, the barrel will flatten out and not hold the wire tightly. When crimping is done on the seam and the opposite wall, the barrel tends to concave digging into the wire holding it more securely. With the more expensive seamless barrels you can crimp on it all around the barrel and it closes the same way. This saves time since you don't have to check the position of your crimp. Now with insulated and non-insulated barrels its more of a user preference. There are also different crimpers for both types. Insulated barrel crimpers look like a pair of pliers with 2 crescent shape groves on each side. While the non-insulated barrel crimpers have a groove and a spike on the other side. It is not recommended to use non-insulated crimpers on insulated barrels as it pierces the insulation leaving bare metal to cause problems.
To find more information on Right and wrong ways to connect wires google search or use the following link, as its where my info came from​
http://www.mmxpress.com/technical/connections.htm

Now that we have that out of the way let’s get down to what you will need to buy to get this DIY done.

The following are the parts I purchased, you can purchase which ever parts you would like but understand that where I connect wires on my Push start and Smart key access modules are probably not the same if you purchase other items.

Advanced Keys AK – 104B
http://advancedkeys.com/Prod_AK104B.html
This is the Push button kit and The Smart key Entry system. You can adjust your order to whatever you would like to do, using this install guide you should be able to install what you buy from the site.
Viper 556U Bypass Module
http://www.amazon.com/DIRECTED-ELECTRONICS-UNIVERSAL-REMOTE-INTERFACE/dp/B000808DD8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1331082084&sr=8-2
You will need a Bypass module if you plan to use the push start button. Our Subaru keys are chipped and in order to get around the chip we will need to cannibalize a key.

Subaru 83002C Panel Switch
http://japanparts.com/db/partslist.php?KEYWORD=83002c&dealer=&car=&middlesmall=&maker=&VOLKEY=&submit.x=58&submit.y=17
This is the replacement part that will house the push start button. No cutting or drilling required, perfect fit every time.

Subaru 34348 Cap, Key cylinder
http://japanparts.com/db/partslist.php?KEYWORD=34348&dealer=&car=&middlesmall=&maker=&VOLKEY=&submit.x=0&submit.y=0
This is not required but will make your install look cleaner by covering where your key used to go into your cylinder.

The parts from Japan parts took 5 days from placing my order till they arrived at my door. Website states 10-15 days for delivery, mine was 5 days, yours could take 10 or even 15, or maybe even 5.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: DIY: The Ulitimate Push Start Smart Key Entry System.

Remove transponder From Spare key or Valet Key.
Doing it this way is cheaper, you do not need to buy the bypass module and it is easier, less wires to worry about installing.​
[list type=decimal]
[li]
Figure out what Key you are going to use as your donor key, I chose my Valet key, I do not let anyone drive my car and will never valet a car of mine after seeing what most Valets do to peoples cars.​
[/li]
[li]
[/li]
[li]
Using a X-Acto knife cut along one of the edges and down the middle of the rubber, be carefull not to push to hard and cut the plastic underneath.​
[/li]
[li]
[/li]
[li]
Remove the remaining rubber by peeling it back and off.​
[/li]
[li]
[/li]
[li]
Remove the White Plastic by un clipping the two clips at either side​
[/li]
[li]
[/li]
[li]
Remove transponder chip from plastic.​
[/li]
[li]
[/li]
[/list][list type=decimal]
[li]
[/li]
[/list]

·
Registered
2,581 Posts

it would be sweet..... if you put up the DIY part haha.

Question though, can you just install the Push button start part?

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

im updating as i type. And yes you can just do the push start.

Im getting a jump on the writeup part and installing tomorrow if its nice out.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts

get it done sir.... can you do a write up for the push start?? pretty please?

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

well that didnt work.... car starts with the push button but the starter stays engaged. Car doesnt lock or unlock with any remote. The frigging shop that installed my alarm did a hack job, i spent most of the 5 hours i was out there trying to figure out there mess.

Going to have to take it to a shop and have a new alarm installed then try again with just the puysh start.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts

I had heard about all the integration issues with this system... especially cause our cars use the immobilizer setup. Let me know how it goes!
Cant the push button be used with the stock alarm system?

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I had heard about all the integration issues with this system... especially cause our cars use the immobilizer setup. Let me know how it goes!
Cant the push button be used with the stock alarm system?
yes it can, problem is the shop that install my alarm cut a buch of wires and i cant figure it out.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I have a jumper set wrong. That will fix the push start, once I do that I need to figure out all the bullshit the alarm install screwed up to go any further

·
Registered
413 Posts

I have a jumper set wrong. That will fix the push start, once I do that I need to figure out all the bullshit the alarm install screwed up to go any further
if you have any questions on anything let me know

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts

it would be sweet..... if you put up the DIY part haha.
Question though, can you just install the Push button start part?
get it done sir.... can you do a write up for the push start?? pretty please?
why not just use the DIY already available?

http://www.3gwrx.com/forum/index.php/topic,21105.0.html

clams- how is your DIY going to be supplementary or different?

nick covered his bases pretty well...

and for what's it is worth i've had the push button start going for about two years now without a single issue. still haven't gotten my STI red push start button rewired and repinned to replace the lame lexus/nissan, but still a nice feature of the car!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts

Im trying to get a DIY for JUST the push start, no keyless entry stuff and all that. Its not necessary for me.

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts

Im trying to get a DIY for JUST the push start, no keyless entry stuff and all that. Its not necessary for me.
that's explicitly addressed in the DIY: "Wires that are used of Push to Start Module". additionally, nick provides further instruction of how to install without the keyless entry in his last two paragraphs. it really is straight forward.

and your approach without the keyless is best! those that have been there, know.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

This was going to have the Keyless entry part to, but.i r decided to go just push start. So the how tos are going to be pretty much the same. I'll probay just delete this one

·
Registered
3,417 Posts

This was going to have the Keyless entry part to, but.i r decided to go just push start. So the how tos are going to be pretty much the same. I'll probay just delete this one
you spelled ultimate wrong. lol

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

yea yea, ill fix it, i cant help it if my fingers move faster than my brain

some pics of the wire less i was dealing with yesterday.

And a High Five for the road

·
Registered
413 Posts

what shop installed that alarm?

·
Registered
139 Posts

I wouldn't mind if you did a Push-button Start only DIY. That keeps it simple with less confusion that the other DIY thread. I'm easily distracted.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts