Subaru WRX Forums banner

How did you do this install, and did you have problems with the Steering Wheel Angle Sensor?

DIY Walkthrough: Steering Wheel Audio Controls for 08/09 Impreza

49K views 62 replies 25 participants last post by  IdrvaWRX 
#1 ·
This mod has been discussed quite a bit but I thought people might like to see a walkthrough of the install. This install can be done by just about anyone.
WARNING!!!! This mod has the potential to break your steering wheel angle sensor. Mine needed to be replaced afterwards, and I have seen another person have the same problem. I think this may be avoidable if you work around the airbag. If you do this, you still need to either disconnect the negative battery terminal or the airbag fuses. Rather than unplugging the plugs and wire clip from the back of the airbag, you can leave them connected. You will not be able to remove the steering wheel entirely, but you should have enough room to remove the cowl and get at the control pod screws from behind. You may want to have a friend there to hold the airbag out of the way while you work.

What you need
1. Torque wrench - to tighten steering wheel nut to 22-29 ft-lbs
2. T30 Torx bit - to remove airbag
3. 17MM socket, I used a deep socket but regular may work - steering wheel nut
4. 3 inch socket extension - to access steering wheel nut without hitting the leather
5. Breaker bar - to loosen steering wheel nut
6. Medium size Phillips head screw driver - screws holding cowl and control pods
7. Flat head screw driver - pry the airbag tabs
8. Painter / masking tape (optional) - prevent scratches, mark angle of steering wheel
9. Something to remove the negative battery terminal. Socket, wrench, whatever.

Walkthrough

1. Disconnect the negative battery terminal. Wait 5 minutes, step on brake pedal to bleed any residual charge. Make sure the car's wheels are pointing straight ahead. At this point I marked the angle of the steering wheel by placing a strip of tape from the wheel onto the dash. When it came time to put the steering wheel back on, it was easy to see how it needed to line up.

2. Use the T30 Torx bit and socket wrench to loosen the screws on the side of the steering wheel. You can also use a T30 torx screw driver with a wrench or plier for leverage (I did not have a T30 bit handy). The screws will loosen but will not come out. You should be able to pull the airbag off easily once they are loosened far enough.
Picture forthcoming

3. See warning above about methods to removing the airbag. Here's what I did. Carefully remove the airbag. There will be three wires still connected to the back of the airbag. To remove the orange and black plugs, pry the yellow clips up with the flathead screwdriver, then pull them straight out. The metal wire clip has a small release to press, then slides right off.
Location of the yellow clips to pry up

View of the plugs once they are "up"

Location of the release for wire clip

4. Use the 17MM socket, socket extension, and breaker bar to loosen the steering wheel nut. As mentioned in another thread, the easiest way to get enough leverage here is to stand outside the car with one hand on the steering wheel and one hand on the breaker bar. You probably could use a socket wrench here but that sort of use could lower the lifespan of the wrench. Leave the nut on the last few threads of the shaft so when you pull the steering wheel off, it doesn't hit you in the chest. Pull straight forward to slide the steering wheel off.
Location of steering wheel nut

5. Remove the cowl covering the back of the steering wheel. The wiring for the cruise control may be run through a guide - make sure it is loose first. There are two phillips head screws and one clip that need to be removed for the cowl to come off. Once the cowl is off you will have access to the screws holding the control pods on the wheel.
Location of all 3

Close up of screws

Close up of clip

6. Remove the phillips head screws holding the old control pod and blank into place. I taped off the inside edge of the new control pods before installing them to prevent scratches from the airbag. Install the new control pods.
View of the screws from the back side of the steering wheel

7. Reattach the steering wheel cowl. As you are putting it into place, note the two wire channels for the new control pods. Place the wiring from the steering wheel audio and cruise controls into the wire guides on each side.
Location of the wire guides

8. Reattach steering wheel. Pay attention to what angle you are putting it on. This is where marking it with tape before I started was helpful. Tighten the nut to 22-29 ft-lbs with torque wrench.

9. Push the airbag plugs down into their sockets, then press in the yellow tabs to lock them into place. Slide the metal wire back on. Reattach airbag using the T30 screws on the sides of the steering wheel.

10. Reconnect the fuses or negative battery terminal. After disconnecting the battery like this, the car will not start if you try to crank it immediately due to our drive by wire throttle. Turn the key to the "on" position and wait for a few clicks, then you should be able to start it no problem.

See less See more
#3 ·
I did unplug the battery.. and I haven't seen anyone say they were able to do this without taking off the steering wheel, as you need to remove the cowl that is on the back of it in order to access the screws holding the control pods in place.

Refer to this thread and you can see others discussing removing the steering wheel.

#6 ·
where did you get the steering wheel audio controls from? I thought you needed to buy the whole steering wheel to get it 0+..... This is my dream!!
Anywhere where you can search the OEM catalog. I recommend fredbeansparts.com. It's like an $80-$90 piece. Just don't disconnect the airbag, or you'll have to go to Subaru and get the steering wheel angle sensor replaced/recalibrated.

#21 ·
hey jeff*, ignore those comments on the "clock sensor". just don't fiddle with the alignment after the wheel is off. mark, remove, and slide back on exactly as it was before. follow the diy and you'll be fine.

edit: i just realized they were talking about the steering wheel angle sensor. they are two plastic pins that primarily reset your turning indicators as you complete a turn. just be mindful.

#22 ·
Anyone manage to remove the panels without removing the steering wheel?
My steering wheel have some paint on, blue like when nuts are marked fore warranty reasons.
So since mine is an 2010 mod I'm an bit worried about breaking the warranty.

But I want to remove the panels for wrapping them with carbon film.

#34 ·
The other one is the Axxess ASWC (by Metra). The one ASWC model works with nearly all HU brands and cars.

With both the ASWC and PAC units, you can program each of the car's buttons to do whatever remote command that you want*. But each button can only do one thing (when you say "overload," some people may think you mean a button could be programmed to do more than one function at different times, something these modules definitely won't do).

*Added: Limited by what remote commands the HU accepts. A particular HU may not have remote commends for each of your car's buttons (e.g., many don't have remote commands for both on-hook or off-hook, even when the HU does do Bluetooth).

#37 ·
sorry i forgot all about this. i recorded me taking it apart but not putting it back together. i took it apart then we went to the dealer to get the part and they ordered the wrong one and my car sat in the gerage for 5 days while i waited for the part and completely slipped my mind to record puting it back together. (i just wanted my car back) but i'll edit what i have and post it up tonight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.