Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DIY: WRX->STI Spoiler Conversion

STI Spoiler ordered from SGP: $268 + $16 shipping.
WR Blue paint and labor at local Auto Body shop: $150
Installing an STI spoiler on a WRX and satisfying your vanity: priceless.

Overview:
The install was very easy (even for the mechanically challenged like myself)! The spoiler is attached by 2 bolts with 10mm heads, 2 nuts also 10mm, and 3 plastic snaps. The bolts and the nuts are accessible from the inside of the hatch, while the plastic snaps are on the bottom of the spoiler and are pushed into the top of the door from the outside. There is also a rubber grommet surrounding the wiper hose and brake light wiring that plugs into the top of the door. On with the pics/explanation!

Tools needed/used: Deep Socket size 10mm and ratchet wrench.

STEP 1: Open hatch and locate the 2 bolts on the far left and right (as shown circled in red). Remove these bolts as well as the plastic panel (red rectangle). The panel easily unsnaps. I started on the right and worked my way to the left.

Here is a close-up of the bolts that are on each side:

STEP 2: With the panel removed, you are now looking at the wiper hose and the brake light wiring. These need to be disconnected at the points indicated with arrows. Also note the holes circled in red. This is where you will need the deep socket. In the holes you will see the nuts that need to be removed. These tighten down threaded posts that are attached to the bottom of the spoiler. Remove the nuts and disconnect the hose and wiring.

The wiper hose and brake light wiring disconnected:

STEP 3: With the 2 bolts and 2 nuts removed, and the wiper hose and brake light wiring disconnected, the spoiler can now be popped out of position. *NOTE* I unsnapped the spoiler while the hatch was open. If I did this project again, I would recommend closing the hatch and then unsnap it. It would have made it easier to handle, and less likely to damage any paint. More on that some other time heh...

Noob mistake behind me, here is the spoiler popped out of place. The arrows indicate the posts that the nuts were threaded onto and the holes that the bolts thread into. The rectangles show the plastic snaps that pop into the top of the door. Circled is the rubber grommet that at this time needs to be unplugged from the top of the door.

Here is a close-up of the rubber plug:

The stock spoiler can now be pulled off and away of the car. You are ready to install the STI spoiler!

You can pretty much reverse the steps to install. I recommend starting with the hatch closed. Fish the wiper hose and brake light wiring through the same hole the original came out of. Plug the rubber grommet into the hole. Lower the threaded posts and plastic snaps into position and press the spoiler into place. MAKE SURE THE SPOILER IS SECURE BEFORE CONTINUING AND OPENING THE HATCH!!! (that was noob mistake 2 :-\)

With the hatch open, reuse the bolts that go on the far right and left, and wrench them down for security. Wrench down the nuts. Connect the wiper hose and brake light wiring. Reattach the plastic panel. Close hatch. Take a step back. Enjoy the view.

And now, what you've all been waiting for...

Before/After:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Re: DIY: WRX->STI Spoiler Conversion

Very nice! +1 for you!

Check your PM

·
Registered
120 Posts

excellent write-up! now I just need to decide on this or the Crawford wing...decisions decisions...

·
Registered
0 Posts

GOOD JOB BRO !!!!
+1 for you !

now all we have to do in singapore is find someone willing to sell the spoiler cheap.. it cost abt $770SGD... abt $550USD :(

·
Registered
629 Posts

Nice!! I'll be doing this next weekend.... ;D

·
Registered
502 Posts

Since this spoiler comes standard on the 09 wrx, do you guys think the spoiler will come factory painted if we buy it from the dealer in 09?

·
Registered
3,581 Posts

Since this spoiler comes standard on the 09 wrx, do you guys think the spoiler will come factory painted if we buy it from the dealer in 09?
Even though its standard now for the 09 it will still have to be painted. From what I can understand from business side of things is that they have them unpainted and either A) Can ship them out that way or B) Put in an order for lets say a SWP Spoiler have them paint it then send it for a little extra. This way they won't have to guess with numbers how many can we sell of this color or this color should we make more of this and less of that etc.

·
Registered
629 Posts

$267+Shipping. Unpainted of course.

·
Registered
253 Posts

Good point! How much is the spoiler from the dealership?
I just got a quote from my local dealership for $379 unpainted. SGP sells them for $268 + shipping.

To have it painted, I highly recommend shopping around. You will get quotes as high as $350 just for the paint. I was able to secure a quote for $175 by my local dealer.

·
Registered
230 Posts

100% better looking. And thanks very much for the photos. +1 to you. So the new wing comes with the wiring and hose already? And the rubber grommet?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I ordered the spoiler from subarugenuineparts. It came with everything needed except for the 2 bolts and 2 nuts which you can reuse from the stock assembly.

·
Registered
230 Posts

Well darn it. You made me go and order it. LOL

Update... Bah, it is out of stock. I suppose they had a run on them from this thread. ;)

·
Registered
253 Posts

Well darn it. You made me go and order it. LOL

Update... Bah, it is out of stock. I suppose they had a run on them from this thread. ;)
Ha ha... I put my order in yesterday and got the out of stock notice via email. 1-3 weeks!

·
Registered
253 Posts

Finally got my STI spoiler back from paint... Installed it today using your "DIY". Thanks for the right up! Made the install very quick and painless.

+1 karma for ya!

·
Registered
230 Posts

I would also like to thank you for this fine DIY. I did seem to have a problem with the electrical connection. It did not want to unlatch. I had to resort to less than savory means. ;) I probably just didn't have the right tool for it.
before

after

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Awesome guys! The spoiler really completes the look of the car imo. +50 hp on the "eye" dyno easily.

·
Registered
230 Posts

This is really what the WRX needed.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts