Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently running Bridgestone Potenza G019's due to an unfortunate screw accident. I live just north of the San Francisco Bay Area. The most "weather" we get is some semi-heavy rain. If I choose to buy new rims and tires would getting a decent set of summer tires provide me with enough grip in the rain? (under $250 per tire)

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Rain yes, snow no. The only reason I run all seasons is because of freak snow storms year round where I drive. If it weren't for that I wouldn't hesitate to run summers in the warm months, regardless of rainfall amount.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
If you are only takling about rain then summers are fine. So you get increased cornering performance also.
Look at the label of the tire labeled traction: go for A or AA
These are actually wet weather and conditions tests and not dry ratings. :)

Traction grades represent the tire's ability to stop on wet pavement as measured under controlled conditions on asphalt and concrete test surfaces. As of 1997, the traction grades from highest to lowest are "AA","A","B" and "C". A tire graded "AA" may have relatively better traction performance than a tire graded lower, based on straight-ahead braking tests. The grades do not take into consideration the cornering or turning performance of a tire.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
here in Qu?©bec winter tires are mandatory now, okay it's new and I rode all seasons, they are dangerous at anytime IMO, wouldn't good rain/summer tires be better?

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
here in Qu?©bec winter tires are mandatory now, okay it's new and I rode all seasons, they are dangerous at anytime IMO, wouldn't good rain/summer tires be better?
Wow, mandatory? That's a good law imo. I'd like to see something like that in some areas of the states.

As far as all seasons being dangerous at any time, a good all-season like the Yoko Advan S4, or Bridgestone RE960AS actually has pretty good grip, even compared to some summer tires. The RE960's have GREAT grip in the rain. They still can't really stand up to most winter tires, but the RE960AS is one of the better rated all seasons in terms of how they do in the snow. Michelin makes one too that is comparable though it is notably more expensive, it's a Pilot something. Though not all of their Pilot series tires are good. The Michelin Pilot HX MXM4's for instance are the worst tires that I have ever owned in terms of grip...ever. The RE92A's and RE92's are pretty bad though and are really low quality tires imo. There are countless tires that are leaps and bounds better than the RE92/RE92A's in terms of grip in various conditions, and cost less to boot.

I would never run the RE92A's during snow season though...ever, unless they were very new.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
yup been mandatory for a year or so, maybe my all-season were too cheaps though, can't remember what they were, I got them when I bought my First car, it was febuary and in march I had brand new winter tires to finish winter I almost died because of poor grip, then again I can't recall the model

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
yup been mandatory for a year or so, maybe my all-season were too cheaps though, can't remember what they were, I got them when I bought my First car, it was febuary and in march I had brand new winter tires to finish winter I almost died because of poor grip, then again I can't recall the model
It really is amazing the difference in terms of performance between different brands and models of tires. Some just blow others completely out of the water, when they are priced comparably and marketed similarly.

I'm pretty anal when it comes to tires though. My opinion on the topic is that you only go through so many sets of tires on a car, and on a car like a WRX you might as well enjoy each of those sets as much as possible. So with that in mind, spending 50 or 60 more bucks per tire doesn't seem like a lot if that ensures that you will be getting significantly better tires. Though, canadian prices are probably a lot different, so the price difference between a mediocre A to B type of tire and a high quality tire might be significantly more than it is state side .

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It really is amazing the difference in terms of performance between different brands and models of tires. Some just blow others completely out of the water, when they are priced comparably and marketed similarly.

I'm pretty anal when it comes to tires though. My opinion on the topic is that you only go through so many sets of tires on a car, and on a car like a WRX you might as well enjoy each of those sets as much as possible. So with that in mind, spending 50 or 60 more bucks per tire doesn't seem like a lot if that ensures that you will be getting significantly better tires. Though, canadian prices are probably a lot different, so the price difference between a mediocre A to B type of tire and a high quality tire might be significantly more than it is state side .
I completely agee the Bridgestone G019's that replaced my originals are terrible, they complain even under mildly aggressive driving. I intend on taking advantage of the bridgestone 30 day return policy. do you guys have any suggestions that i could replace them with that i could get at a firestone retail center? (i know it was a bad choice, it was an emergency)

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
speaking of tires it will soon be time to make the switch...bye bye good looking rims and hello black and ugly winter rims :( A good chance I got good winter tires to play with :D

chanke4252 I agree with you I always tend to get the best tires available to my budget/car as of now I have stock for summer and Nokian winter tires (can't recall wich for now) I hope they will tell me that the stock wheels are done for so I can spend on new ones with rims next summer :D

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
speaking of tires it will soon be time to make the switch...bye bye good looking rims and hello black and ugly winter rims :( A good chance I got good winter tires to play with :D

chanke4252 I agree with you I always tend to get the best tires available to my budget/car as of now I have stock for summer and Nokian winter tires (can't recall wich for now) I hope they will tell me that the stock wheels are done for so I can spend on new ones with rims next summer :D
If the nokians are the WR, then I am jealous. I'd grab a set, but I have to kill my blizzaks first, which shouldn't be more than a season or two once I mount them. The WR's are really an all season, yet they manage to outperform a number of snow tires in the snow.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
No WRs then mine are all winter

·
Registered
298 Posts
Traction grades represent the tire's ability to stop on wet pavement as measured under controlled conditions on asphalt and concrete test surfaces. As of 1997, the traction grades from highest to lowest are "AA","A","B" and "C". A tire graded "AA" may have relatively better traction performance than a tire graded lower, based on straight-ahead braking tests. The grades do not take into consideration the cornering or turning performance of a tire.
right, though there is a little more to it. they actually lock the tire up and slide it across the ground for the test which really tests the tires compound more so than the tread design. (personally i think the traction rating is next to worthless since it holds so little information) so things like hydroplaning resistance and the tires ability to work in heavier rain and colder temperatures (some summer tires do awful when it's below 50F) isn't shown in that rating (as well as the cornering like you mention).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thx guys for all ur help, i was able to get the firestone dealership to trade for a set of yokohama s. drive's which where rated the bust UHP summer tire on Tirerack.com. Getting installed on fri ;D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's what i said when i was talking to the manager of the firestone, he said "we don't but i can get them, lemme call a wholesaler and give u a call back" when he called me back, he said the potenze g019 cost him 98.$$ and the yoko s.drive cost him 101.$$ so he'd just switch them out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts