Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
The short answer is yes it's still an issue. I have catless and no CEL's yet but others have had them even with catted DP's. I'd say push ahead and deal with it if it becomes a problem for you.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I had pretty much decided that I couldn't wait to bolt it on anyway. ;D

If anybody has had issues, post what you did to fix.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I have thrown cels on a Cobb Stage I map, a very conservative map. If you get a code, clear it, and watch it for a while, if you are continually getting cels, try a different Stage II map. I have found people running the Perrin Stage II maps and throwing PO244 codes. They switch to the RalliTek map and have no problems at all and visa versa.

Depending on where you are in the mod process, or if you are going to stay at your current Stage II for a while then you might want a think about a PROTune. Then there should be no issues at all.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Overboost/boost creep can happen on any model year with an aftermarket turbo-back, even if it's catted (usually happens with catless more, though). Anytime you increase exhaust flow and velocity you are going to run into problems with the stock turbo's small internal wastegate not being able to flow enough exhaust around the turbine to keep the boost where it should be.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi all i just installed a TURBOXS 4"DP then 3" CBE in to my08 WRX it has an off the shelf ecu re-tune. The tune ive just been informed is for a 3" system from the turbo back not a 4"dp! Yes i know! But apparently it enough to do the following.

On the highest output setting 16psi running 98oct at high revs in 4-5th im hitting a CEL code po244 Wastegate malfunction.

From what ive read everywhere this is overboosting/spiking, with the wastegate not being able to remove enough gas.

Some threads ive read give these fixes.

Port the wastegate. (pita + $)
Put the standard muffler/exhaust back on. (defeats the purpose)
Get another tune ($$$$$ + some say that wont fix it either).
And finally adjust the wastegate controller arm ie. make it longer to reduce the boost. (easy)

My question is will/could adjusting the wastegate arm prevent boost spike or does it just make the boost come on a fraction later, then spike again anyway.

Thanks

·
Registered
496 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hi all i just installed a TURBOXS 4"DP then 3" CBE in to my08 WRX it has an off the shelf ecu re-tune. The tune ive just been informed is for a 3" system from the turbo back not a 4"dp! Yes i know! But apparently it enough to do the following.

On the highest output setting 16psi running 98oct at high revs in 4-5th im hitting a CEL code po244 Wastegate malfunction.

From what ive read everywhere this is overboosting/spiking, with the wastegate not being able to remove enough gas.

Some threads ive read give these fixes.

Port the wastegate. (pita + $)
Put the standard muffler/exhaust back on. (defeats the purpose)
Get another tune ($$$$$ + some say that wont fix it either).
And finally adjust the wastegate controller arm ie. make it longer to reduce the boost. (easy)

My question is will/could adjusting the wastegate arm prevent boost spike or does it just make the boost come on a fraction later, then spike again anyway.

Thanks
Do not touch the waste gate arm, you need to go to cobbs site and down load the race tuner which is free but it takes about 24hrs to get the e-mail to down load it. Also order it at a time when you are all ways home because the e-mailed link for the down load has a very short shelf life. Once you get the program install on a lap top and go data log your car doing a 3rd gear pull starting at 2000rpm till you spike/hit the wall, and do the same in fourth. this will get all the data a tuner needs to work the spike issue out so you can run safeish till you get a protune if you would like.
Oh yeah i had the same problem as you have now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts