Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, do you? I try but it depends on where I'm going and what sort of rush I'm in. I always try to let it cool down for about 30secs-1 1/2 mins when I get home before turning it off.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I let it cool down during auto-x and rally-x but I never purposely wait 30 seconds after driving even if I just flew down the freeway. the 25mph street I live on is time enough to cool down.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I let it cool down during auto-x and rally-x but I never purposely wait 30 seconds after driving even if I just flew down the freeway. the 25mph street I live on is time enough to cool down.
Exactly, coming off the highway, then doing some light driving on local roads for a little while to get home is good enough. If thats not possible, I just drive around the block once and thats it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I agree with the previous two. I've read that the typical drive on city streets (i.e. non-highway speeds) you're fine. I never let the turbo "cool down" with our 02 WRX, and it has 102,000 miles with the original turbo. I believe that with Subaru turbos, they have a coolant line plumbed to them in such a way that coolant flows over the bearings after shut down due to gravity, and this helps wisk away some of the heat. Also, a good quality oil (i.e. Redline) should prevent coaking of the bearings. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
223 Posts
For any kind of public street driving (highway, city, whatever), I will never let the car idle for 30 seconds before I shut it off and get out of the car...what a waste of time.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I have a TT set at 30sec but i dont really care... i use the TT to start and let run the car in winter for warming up... less problems than a remote starter which required a transpondeur bypassing

1 - 7 of 7 Posts