Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is any one running a aftermarket downpipe with a stock 08 or 09 WRX exhaust not the SPT. I am interested in getting an dp and keeping the stock exhaust in hopes to free up some horsepower and keep the car reasonable quite.And I wanna know if the car will be alot louder or not. Please feel free to leave feed back etc...

Videos would be greatly appreciated ;D

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
There are a couple of DP out there that will fit an OEM CBE. Cobb will work right out of the box, Invidia, will work if you buy the adapter...

The other thing to think about is EM... Running a DP without engine management can be done, but it is asking for trouble. If you are looking to free up some horses... EM could do it for you, with out putting your motor at risk. Or both... ;D

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are a couple of DP out there that will fit an OEM CBE. Cobb will work right out of the box, Invidia, will work if you buy the adapter...

The other thing to think about is EM... Running a DP without engine management can be done, but it is asking for trouble. If you are looking to free up some horses... EM could do it for you, with out putting your motor at risk. Or both... ;D
I actually have an AP sitting in my room right now ;D I am going to get a protune soon and I just want to get all the parts I want on the car before I do it. That is why I am waiting for the Cobb intake to be released in January. I also wanna try to keep the stock echaust sound levels I just dont know how much louder it will be. Here is a video I found on youtube, which has the Cobb downpipe with stock exhaust, let me know what you think.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
no mater what, getting an aftermarket dp will increase the noise level. My brother has a STi axleback on his 05 WRX so I guess it's in line of being OEM? It's not loud at all and the exterior noise will drown out in city driving.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Some people said over time it will leak.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What downpipes do people suggest? I was thinking about going cobb but a catless invidia is a lot cheaper? What are the pro's and con's of these with a stock exhaust? Because I knoe the Invidia is a 3in wile the Cobb is also 3in but tapers down to 2.5

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe what's up

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
What downpipes do people suggest? I was thinking about going cobb but a catless invidia is a lot cheaper? What are the pro's and con's of these with a stock exhaust? Because I knoe the Invidia is a 3in wile the Cobb is also 3in but tapers down to 2.5
Cobb would probably guarantee no leaks. The taper wont affect much unless till the engine is making a lot more power. Cobb is a lot more pricey, and I believe there are a good amount of vendors selling Cobb stuff for 10% off till the end of the year. Invidia is much cheaper, especially cat-less. But any cat-less downpipe will be cheaper than a catted counterpart. But as stated, mating a 3" flat flange w/ a 2.5" donut flange has potential to leak overtime. Doing a search over at NASIOC with "downpipe exhaust leak" will reveal a lot of ppl with 1st hand experience.
pros of d/p w/ stock exhaust: less noise that w/ an aftermarket cat-back exhaust (resonated or not), less money spent overall.
con: potential for exhaust leak, bottle neck at higher HP levels.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I run the cheapest of the cheap... erz/tsudo ebay DP, they're $188 shipped and don't forget your 30% live.com discount, then they are really cheap. No fit problems at all. Take advantage of that discount no matter what you buy... ;D

·
Registered
988 Posts
If you run a DP with just a 3 inch flange then just make sure your CBE takes a 3 inch flange as well.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
im running the stock cb bolted up to a harman dp with a 3 inch flange... until my ur cb gets here.

Its fine.
How does the car feel/sound??? Can you post a video?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's good to know. Is there a noticeable difference in power?? And I assume you can hear the turbo better??? (sorry for all the questions)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts