Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey... Ok this past thersday I had the 7500 mile check up done on the car. Just checked the oil and the dip stick registered about 2 inched above the full mark... WTF... :mad: :eek: I am not sure what I should do... I pretty much think that I need to drop the oil out of the car.... First I don't have anyway of lifting the other than the stock jack...
Subaru service is closed on Saturday......
Has anyone ever brought their car to one of those quick change oil places?
What would be the best way to take care of this problem?

·
Registered
359 Posts
It sounds like you checked your oil when it was hot. Have you rechecked it cold?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Personally, I would avoid "quick oil" places if you can. I had the oil filler cap left off by one on a previous car...drove about 15 miles that way! Oil everywhere! They also tend not to change the washer on the drain plug. I agree with the prior post, check the oil when it's cold. also, Invest in a good set of low profile ramps. I've used 'em for years and their much better than jack stands when just changing the oil or you want to climb under for a quick look at something. Hope this helps.

Stephen

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It sounds like you checked your oil when it was hot. Have you rechecked it cold?
The car had sat in the garage all night, on level surface... It was cold and still reading really high. The stealership screwed up!!!!

When I got it to the sears I checked the oil again and it was still really high.

Personally, I would avoid "quick oil" places if you can. I had the oil filler cap left off by one on a previous car...drove about 15 miles that way! Oil everywhere! They also tend not to change the washer on the drain plug. I agree with the prior post, check the oil when it's cold. also, Invest in a good set of low profile ramps. I've used 'em for years and their much better than jack stands when just changing the oil or you want to climb under for a quick look at something. Hope this helps.

Stephen
I was right there in the shop with them... When they changed it... I would have prefered to do it myself, but they would not let me. I did not walk away from the car.

Just another day in paradise... The reason why I pushed it I was going to take the car to aroad tuner this afternoon. I bought an AP from a local tuner and he said he would check the motor, and most likely do a light tune on the car. I am not sure if I am going to do that today now... I am not 100% on the car right now.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sounds llike the dealer over filled it. I'm really paranoid about that myself. On my first oil change in this car I found that roughly 4.5 quarts gets you at the right level. Does this tuner have a lift? Could he drain and refill the oil for you?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds llike the dealer over filled it. I'm really paranoid about that myself. On my first oil change in this car I found that roughly 4.5 quarts gets you at the right level. Does this tuner have a lift? Could he drain and refill the oil for you?
The oil has been changed, andit has had a chance to sit in the garage, the level looks good. So that seems ok... THis guy is a road tuner... So he does not have a shop to speak of, I am thinking that it will be good to go...

·
Registered
382 Posts
Glad it worked out okay.

To those that said to check it when cold, I don't think that is correct. All other cars I've ever seen suggest you check the oil when warm to it expands and you can ensure it it properly protecting by being at the proper level during operation.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad it worked out okay.

To those that said to check it when cold, I don't think that is correct. All other cars I've ever seen suggest you check the oil when warm to it expands and you can ensure it it properly protecting by being at the proper level during operation.
For the past almost 40 years I was always told/taught cold and on level surface. It was also checked warm and on level surface and was still very high, too high... Either way you look at it, there is the bottom line. When it came back from the dealership, it was wrong.

I guess there is positive that can come out of such a lame question....

If you use the dealership to keep the warranty intact as much as possible...

TRUST BUT VERIFY...

·
Registered
382 Posts
Glad it worked out okay.

For the past almost 40 years I was always told/taught cold and on level surface. It was also checked warm and on level surface and was still very high, too high... Either way you look at it, there is the bottom line. When it came back from the dealership, it was wrong.

TRUST BUT VERIFY...
So there is no confusion, I just verified that the proper way to check the oil is when its warm, that is what the dipstick is designed around.

Of course after changing your oil you should check the oil after putting it in prior to operation, but for an accurate reading you need to check it with the engine warmed up.

Here's the manual:
& Checking the oil level
Check the engine oil level at each fuel
stop.
1. Park the vehicle on a level surface and
stop the engine.
2. Pull out the level gauge that has the
“ ” symbol on top, wipe it clean, and
insert it again.
3. Be sure the level gauge is correctly
inserted until it stops.
1) Notch
2) Upper level
3) Lower level
4. Pull out the level gauge again and
check the oil level on it. If it is below the
lower level, add oil to bring the level up to
the upper level.
If you check the oil level just after stopping
the engine, wait a few minutes for the oil to
drain back into the oil pan before checking
the level.
Just after driving or while the engine is
warm, the engine oil level reading may be
in a range between the upper level and
the notch mark. This is caused by thermal
expansion of the engine oil.
To prevent overfilling the engine oil, do not
add any additional oil above the upper
level when the engine is cold.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glad it worked out okay.

TRUST BUT VERIFY...
So there is no confusion, I just verified that the proper way to check the oil is when its warm, that is what the dipstick is designed around.

Of course after changing your oil you should check the oil after putting it in prior to operation, but for an accurate reading you need to check it with the engine warmed up.

Here's the manual:
If you check the oil level just after stopping
the engine, wait a few minutes for the oil to
drain back into the oil pan before checking
the level. Just after driving or while the engine is
warm, the engine oil level reading may be
in a range between the upper level and
the notch mark. This is caused by thermal
expansion of the engine oil.
To prevent overfilling the engine oil, do not
add any additional oil above the upper
level when the engine is cold.
I never said checking the oil was better one way or the other... So lets get down to the nitty gritty of it. First the important part - one way or the other the oil is getting checked.

According to my interpation of the manual... It can be just as accurate warm or cold.

So if the motor is warm Quote from the manual:

"Just after driving or while the engine is warm, the engine oil level reading may be in a range between the upper level and the notch mark. This is caused by thermal expansion of the engine oil."

So if the motor is warm the oil level can be above the full line and below the notch... ok Check

According to the last sentence of your quote of the manual, which I read too

"To prevent overfilling the engine oil, do not add any additional oil above the upper level when the engine is cold"

Ok when the motor is cold make sure the oil is not higher that the full line on the dipstick. Just like any other car I have had.

I choose to check it the way that I was taught. Cold and on a flat surface...

Some choose to check it after they warm up the motor, or I think Subaru was targeting the people that check the oil when they get gas and the motor is warm. The key is to make sure and give it a few mins to allow the oil to drain back down to the pan...

I think that is easy enough

Now back to the original reason for the post...

Just checked the oil and the dip stick registered about 2 inched above the full mark...

The bottom line is the motor was cold and the oil was considerably above the full line. There was way too much oil in the car warm or cold

Again ---- Trust but Verify

·
Registered
382 Posts
okay...

I have no problem with the fact that the motor had too much oil, I just chimed in to state oil should be checked when warm according to Subaru. (This is my interpretation and what my tech said, I understand you have a different opinion.)

And for the record, I've never had my oil changed at a dealership, but regardless I think you are 100% correct in verifying any work that someone else does on your car. Or your taxes, or your health, etc.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
okay...

I have no problem with the fact that the motor had too much oil, I just chimed in to state oil should be checked when warm according to Subaru. (This is my interpretation and what my tech said, I understand you have a different opinion.)

And for the record, I've never had my oil changed at a dealership, but regardless I think you are 100% correct in verifying any work that someone else does on your car. Or your taxes, or your health, etc.
Fair Enough...
I did not want to come off like I was jumpin down your throat...
Have a great day!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Strictly speaking you do not have to use the dealership for this (my local dealers use Pennzoil--yechh, so I'm loathe to have them do my oil changes, especially when I can easily do them myself); HOWEVER, you need to be able to produce documentation that the oil changes were done on schedule.

For the DIY-er, this means dated receipts for oil and filter, and keep a detailed log of the dates and mileages at which you performed the oil changes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts