Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick rant...

I was driving home yesterday, in heavy traffic. Out of nowhere I hear a "vroom, PSHHHH" as some asshat in an SRT4 pulls up beside me and blasts his BOV. I'd like to add that BOV's sound like total ass and serve no purpose except to make the driver look like an idiot to anyone who knows that they serve no purpose. For some reason all of the idiots in Denver have them, and they cause me to do nothing but laugh as long as they keep their asshattery away from me. Anyway, he then proceeds to speed up and slow down till I pass him, then speeding up and blowing his BOV again, then slowing down. Ok, the thing is that my car looks like a corolla, I don't even have a catback, and in addition to that, it's not fast in stock form, and I'm not pretending it is. What about that would make him think I want to race, in relatively heavy traffic, against some asshat in a boosted neon (call it what you want, but an SRT4 is a neon, just like a WRX is an impreza)? And why did it take him like 5 minutes to figure out that I wasn't going to play along?

Post your dumb stories and rants.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Have to say that the loudest BOV I have ever heard was in Denver. It was on that street the runs just behind the stadium. Unfortunately, it was on a WRX. My wife has the most fun with street racers. She usually lets them do their Vroom Vroom Whoosh Whoosh thing, then rolls down her window to let them see that they are challenging a 50 year old woman. Most of the time that is enough to stop the silliness, but every once in a while, when the conditions are right, she blows their doors off!

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
here in NYC, I dont see many Neon SRT-4s. There are more teens and early 20 year olds w/ bug eyes (bought second hand for cheap I'm sure) that do most of the craziness. Everyday I hear a turbo Imprezas blasting up my street b/c it's kind of a hilly right hander with a good distance between traffic lights. I havent seen a 2 or 3 car street race in a while...... but if I do see one, it's usually 2 NA 4 cyl cars going at it. (Altima, tC, xB, Civic, Accord, Corolla, Matrix, Cobalt (rare in NYC), Eclipse, Galant, Prelude) And yes, the occasional turbo Subaru will be placed in there.

·
Registered
209 Posts
hmm well one time when my buddies and i were walking across the road on a pedestrian crossing, some kiddie in a SRT4 was waiting for us to cross and for some reason he just kept reving his car and making wooshwoosh noises while we were crossing. i must admit it startled me at first cuz i thought he was gonna blast off and peg us lol

·
Registered
282 Posts
SRT4 must equate to dumba$$ drivers. Back in the spring I was headed to a family reunion in my STi complete with mother, father, youngest son and parents toy poodle in the car. Parent are both over 70, mother in front seat, and this prick in a SRT4 with fart can etc, keeps wanting to race me in fairly heavy inner city Interstate traffic. I attempted to wave him off, but he persisted for about 3 miles with his madness. We finally got to a fork that split I24 and I59 and he went 24 and we went 59.

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
coming from having an SRT-4 i have to admit that most srt-4 owners are asshats( the young ones) I personally was respectful unless provoked. Though i did have one killer srt-4, 430 hp. They will learn though one street race ticket and blam wake up call..

·
Registered
209 Posts
I dunno, I just think that the kiddies just feel more powerful cuz the boosted neon makes lots of noises. Although there are not very many around here, the ones i do see are really noisy.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
coming from having an SRT-4 i have to admit that most srt-4 owners are asshats( the young ones) I personally was respectful unless provoked. Though i did have one killer srt-4, 430 hp. They will learn though one street race ticket and blam wake up call..
Yah, just like most car enthusiasts, there is always a group who gives the rest a bad name. It's not the worst car in the world, it's actually kind of a neat little car for what it is, but the general following kind of offsets that. Kind of reminds me of NASIOC and all the kiddies who have jumped on board and are starting giving the WRX owners a bad name now that you can find them used for cheaper. Just dumbfounded me a little bit. It would have made my day if I were making a right turn at a red light though, because then I would have been able to egg him on, and then just turn when he took off. I usually just laugh and give them the "you're an idiot" look.

·
Registered
282 Posts
here's a new one from yesterday. Kid in a Honda with a fart can on it comes up next to me revving his engine. I chuckled and waved him to go on. He got all pissed off and started cussing at me. At the next light he pulls up next to me and starts cussing again, so I roll down the window and ask him what he's so mad about. He said "all I wanted to do was tell you you had a good looking car and you flipped me off". I said I didn't flip you off, I just waved. He said "sorry, I thought you flipped me off, well, good looking car anyway".

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Two days ago I was literally being stocked by a gen 5 GLI...I had errands to do at walmart and was also picking up cigs for my dad and filling up my tank at sunoco....As soon as I turn out of my house he's on my ass with his high beams all the way to wal mart which is a good 10 miles. On the way back from wal mart i hear him and his little forge delay valve(just as gay as a BOV but for Vdubs) and then he's on me again....At this point I was sure he was a gangbanger and I was going to get shot for having a semi nice car...So on the way to Sunoco at a light he's reving and I just put my music up and give him the thumbs up to race....He floors it only to realize theres a bus in front of him....I laughed and drove away, I love to trick people...Anyway it turns out he was a kid I knew from highschool who wanted to play with me, I stopped that a while ago and now I just laugh at those kids.

Here in Orange County, Ny though the problems isnt SRT4's, they're at least smart enough to know they're dumb...It's all these old school VDubs with their front end conversions and Dubhaus Tuning stickers...friken nazis lol

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
awe no one in here likes a BOV hmm.. I happen to like them just not the people who sit at stops lights and go waaa pssshhh wwaaa paahhh waa pssshhh waaa psshhh.. And in CO srt-4 drivers are the worst about it.. Its sad when you have to tell them its still a neon..

The bus this is very funny like yeah thumbs up lets do this BIG A$$ BUS!!

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
i thought it was bad enough that vdubs and neons are trying to race me....but i saw nick and norah tonight and in the parking lot this huge bmm x5 revs at me...I was so shocked because i dint know mentally challenged people could afford beamers.

i learn a new thing every day.

and yeah sometimes BOV's can be sound cool but in reality they're pointless...IMO nothing sounds better than a nice working intake

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Intakes sound nice and amplify sounds that are already there. I really like the sound of late MY hondas with intakes, they sound a lot nicer than the older ones. There's just something about a BOV that just sounds horrible. Any of them that I have ever heard do not sound like a clean "pshh", but rather like some early mid-80's broken down supra with a major boost leak of some sort. I use them as idiot radar personally. As soon as I hear one my idiot alert goes off, and I make sure to stay away from that car and avoid any potential douchebaggery or irresponsible driving that might occur. It's one thing to play a little bit with another non-d-bag on an empty road, within reason (IE, paying attention and not racing someone in triple digits). It's another to be a jackoff in traffic and other surroundings that you cannot totally account for.

I personally have no interest in speed contests in populated areas. I would much rather prefer to have a little fun on an empty mountain road by myself, or a closed course of some sort. At least then I can be reasonably sure that I am not going to miss a car coming the other way, or in the other lane and cause an accident that will leave someone else, or myself seriously hurt or worse.

The people that really leave me ????? are the ones who are in their mid-late 20's (or older), yet still behave like they are 16. At least a teenager has an excuse for being an idiot, and they will more than likely learn better before too long (not that that excuses it, and no offense to the non-idiot teenagers here), but that ~30+ year old who insists on driving like that should not be on the road.

God, I sound like an old man, but I promise I don't drive like one. I do not baby my cars at all (not that i beat the [email protected]$t out of them either), but I do believe in responsible driving.

·
Registered
0 Posts
damn you guys arent into BOVs...

i got a replica one for free so i installed it and i love it !!
it works great for me because it doesnt really go off with my normal driving unless i really wanna scare the road hogging cab in front of me i will just spool my turbo once and he is out of the way.. it works better then my high beams... ;D

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Its sad when you have to tell them its still a neon..
it's not sad.... it's the truth! Kind of like how Evo owners dont like to hear LANCER Evolution. Or hip Matrix owners knowing it's actually a COROLLA Matrix. Or CAMRY Solara.

The people that really leave me ????? are the ones who are in their mid-late 20's (or older), yet still behave like they are 16. At least a teenager has an excuse for being an idiot, and they will more than likely learn better before too long (not that that excuses it, and no offense to the non-idiot teenagers here), but that ~30+ year old who insists on driving like that should not be on the road.
oh we got a ton of those in NYC (sometimes I think my dad is 1 of them :p) Cars that fit that list include, G35, BMW 3 and 5 series, Audi A4, Dodge Magnum/Charger/Chrysler 300C..... sure there are more.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
that list of cars is perfectly dead on for us in NY, anytime I shift over to the passing lane theres someone in one of those cars tail gating me right away, just because im passing someone doesnt mean i want to race.

i cant help but feel bad for the world when theres people older than me that drive less responsibly than i do...

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
that list of cars is perfectly dead on for us in NY, anytime I shift over to the passing lane theres someone in one of those cars tail gating me right away, just because im passing someone doesnt mean i want to race.

i cant help but feel bad for the world when theres people older than me that drive less responsibly than i do...
I know what you mean. If I'm in the middle lane and want to pass someone in front of me, I check for proper spacing, and signal. When that signal comes on, person on the left HAS to speed up to prevent me from passing. It doesnt matter what I drive or what the other person is driving.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I know what you mean. If I'm in the middle lane and want to pass someone in front of me, I check for proper spacing, and signal. When that signal comes on, person on the left HAS to speed up to prevent me from passing. It doesnt matter what I drive or what the other person is driving.
Man, I hate that too. I always signal before I do anything, but when people do that I just change lanes anyway, very slowly but as if they aren't there. They'd like to act like assholes, but not at the expense of their car. Probably not the most responsible way to deal with it, but I don't have to deal with it very often where I live so I'm ok with it.

1 - 20 of 142 Posts