Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
E85 just wondering if anybody has try it or has there car tuned to run it is it worth it

·
Registered
282 Posts
Ethanol + Gasoline = SUX. Less octane, worse MPG, more expensive. Any way you look at it, SUCHS. Sure, the Indy cars are running on PURE Ethanol, but it's particularly 'brewed' for thier cars and needs. Not the same picture when mixed with John Q gasoline.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
why i was asking is i hear the e85 oct is 105

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
i wouldnt do it. just doent seem too reliable enough yet to even consider it. just my .02

·
Registered
81 Posts
E85 is 105 octane, its burn characters make it burn quicker there fore using more fuel and causing poor mpg, plus you shouldnt be running it unless you got a flex fuel car or truck. last time i checked subys arenot made to run on it..

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
The E58 is 105oct hence it burns considerably slower than regular gasoline = cleaner, less waste. However, the ethanol in itself in its characteristics is not meant to run in our vehicles as its density is different than that of regular gasoline, along with ignition temps. In this way, it causes the sensors to be fooled and pump more into our engines = poor gas mileage. Also without proper adjustments it can eat our fuel lines along with alot of other problems. These are just basic things about not running it in your vehicle. It is popular though to use on the drag strips or race tracks by vehicles specifically modified to use it because of its combustion characterisitics. In this case though, it is not to save fuel.

·
Registered
646 Posts
cant you get tuned to run e85? ive seen a few in the proven power bragging on nasioc saying ive got blah awhp and blah awtq on e85...but the numbers always seem to look a little higher then the cars running regular gas w/ similar mods

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
cant you get tuned to run e85? ive seen a few in the proven power bragging on nasioc saying ive got blah awhp and blah awtq on e85...but the numbers always seem to look a little higher then the cars running regular gas w/ similar mods
Yes to both your questions and your research is correct. However, out hardware is not equipped to handle the fuel type for extended periods of time, hence only use for occasional track use if you are daily driving your vehicle. Unless you convert the entire fuel system to incorporate the technology needed to run this fuel on a consistent basis.
Maybe a water/methanol injection kit would suit you better? This also increases dynamic octane numbers but does not require all of the hardware changes. It can also be used on an "as needed" basis.
link for you
http://www.flatironstuning.com/shop/pc-1285-56-perrin-progressive-water-injection-system.aspx
Have fun

·
Registered
30 Posts
??? Not a for sure thing but I've read and heard that E85 is actually 114 octane..
But will also eat up a stock Subaru fuel system within 5k...
I know on the Evo's they sell a conversion kit to E85.. They claim a loss of only 1-2 mpg city/hwy!! It's about 1500-2000!! They amount and way I drive.. That'd pay for itself within the first year!! I know that at a few stations here that sell E85 it's only $3.20/gal.. Thats almost .80 gallon cheaper than even regular!!
I live in Oregon with a lot of Treehugging, pot smoking, hippies out to save to world!! They are huge on this E85 thing.. so.. it's everywhere and cheap!! If I find a kit for my car I may go for it!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here is a link to a very, very good E85 FAQ on another forum

Basically, as long as you have all the parts that you need, and get your car tuned for E85, you can get some pretty good gain's, and should have no effect on reliability. However, that being said, This is something that I wouldn't really consider until my warranty was over because the changes that you need to make (injector's and fuel pump at minimum), and the fact that you are running a fuel that the car was not designed to run on would pretty much void your warranty.

There is also the matter that your fuel ecomony will go down by as much as 30%.

But with all that, if you decide to go this rout, you can definitely get some pretty good gain's.

J. Cooley

·
Registered
398 Posts
My tuner says that the 08 can be tuned for E85 without any new parts. The gains look very good, I am thinking about it. E85 fuel in this area is under $2 per gallon. Premium gas is just going to go up and up and up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts