Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See it urself. But i've got to agree the GTR is an awesome car, but i really don't believe the Lotus was such a bad car on the track. It's way lighter than any of the cars being compared and should handle like a gokart.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Can't see much from the video, but Sti seems to lose out on the handling side. And it looks Slow?!?

I don't know, but it seems they pushed the Evo harder than the Sti.

And I've also got the gut instinct that Edmunds don't like 3G Wrx

·
Registered
239 Posts
Unfortunately the standard suspension setup on even the STI is still too soft for a track weapon. Also putting the Evo and STI up against the new GTR and the other cars of double the price is a bit odd.

·
Registered
0 Posts
BUT.......the Evo was able to beat the 911 and Lotus, so I guess they were trying to say somthing abt the Evo. MAybe they're pro-Evo? hehehe.

I'd take that shootout with a pinch of salt.

·
Registered
214 Posts
They said that the WRX needed a rougher road to be in its element. It suck that the Evo took such a loarge lead because it's truley the only real competitor against it. If this road test had a VW R32 or Audi it would be a much more balanced comp IMO. ::)

·
Registered
192 Posts
There is one thing I have been wondering. Why do people judge the WRX on roads? Before I got the car and when I got the car I was under the impression the car was built for dirt track and other off-road driving. The review even says the car need a rougher road to be in its element. When is someone going to do a real review of the evo and WRX? I am modding my cars suspension(and the rest later) but I would like to set it up for gravel not road course. ??? ???

·
Registered
369 Posts
I don't mean to fan the flames but the EVO had no problem on the road, why shouldn't the STi? Face it, Subaru screwed the pooch in a few aspects when it comes to the new STi.

Though, I still don't see where they were slamming the STi. It came in last and they verified it. Not much more than that.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I don't mean to fan the flames but the EVO had no problem on the road, why shouldn't the STi? Face it, Subaru screwed the pooch in a few aspects when it comes to the new STi.

Though, I still don't see where they were slamming the STi. It came in last and they verified it. Not much more than that.
I agree, that's right on the money - they simply verified the results - but again, as you said I wonder if a different driver would have made a difference in the STi ie driving style...

·
Registered
549 Posts
i think our cars do have understeering problems.. the evo always had the bettter handling. but anyways, its nothing a few little mods can't fix.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I love the fact that they take a very short, very smooth, curvy road in Southern California as "Real World". I have only driven the WRX, EVO, 911 and Lotus, but in real "Real World" conditions, the WRX and the 911 are the only two I would want to drive on a daily basis.

·
Registered
369 Posts
That comparo was weird. I don't know why they insist on putting the STI and EVO up against SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive cars. The WRX has always had its share of unshakable understeer, it's nothing new. Personally, I'd take the car with the extra understeer but better reliability and overall quality over the slightly better handling. Handling is the easiest thing to improve with a couple of mods anyway. Sways + springs/coilovers + tires = done.
The EVO still managed to beat out some much more expensive cars so I think it makes sense that they compare them. Hell, the GT-R costs significantly less than other supercars yet absolutely destroys them on the track.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Edmunds.com actually really likes the new WRX STI. If you read some of their First Drives or Full Tests on the new STI, you will see they really liked it because it is a nice sports car that can be driven every day. I don't know about you guys, but to me, my new WRX feels more like an economical city car than anything else. If I approach the car from any angle except the front, it just looks like a completely tame/bland compact sedan and it pretty much drives like one until the turbocharger kicks in. What I'm trying to say is that the new Impreza WRX and STI are not the hard-core sporty cars they used to be and it was definitely shown in this test.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts