Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I have recently purchased a 2009 WRX last Summer. IT has 66k miles on it, and for the most part is in great condition! After a few months of driving I noticed the smell of burning oil coming in through the vents.

Upon further investigation I discovered it was one of the hard lines running from the turbo that had been loose. So I tightened the bango back up to stop the leak. The problem came upon putting the vehicle back together.

I realized a sight problem with the Head area where I believe the EGR tube attaches. Not only is there only one threaded attachment hole on the head itself. There is what seems to be a half broken fastener stuck in the hole.

So at the time I took my chances, and put everything back together. I ended up just tightening the single bolt for the EGR tube a certain amount for fear of pulling the threads on the head.

It ended sealing, and I thought I wouldn't have to deal with the issue again. Fast forward to last week....and now I start to hear an exhaust leak.

I am 98% sure at this point it is coming from the EGR attachment to the head, and that it in fact had lost torque over the last couple of months.

That being said I would like to know everyone's opinion on what I should do (attempt to drill screw out, Drill and helicoil....etc)? The exhaust leak is driving me nuts, and the car itself sounds like a 92 civic hatchback with a rusted out muffler!!

The spot is also a little tight to drill, but I would really like to avoid pulling the engine just for this one hole.

**Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!

Snapchat-7233686587272510357.jpg

1 - 1 of 1 Posts