Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Electronic or mechanical boost gauge, & why? I don't want to break the bank and $250, for a gauge is out of control, but I want reliable gauge... I am thinking mechancial would be more of a true reading... Right?

·
Super Moderator
2,745 Posts
Honestly mechanical isn't always more accurate and you would have to run the line into your cabin...

If you go cheap cheap (IE Glowshift) you're going to get bad readings...

It's going to be harder for you to see what peak numbers are with a mechanical (see points on features)

I've got a premium prosport electric and it reads pretty in-line with my AP...

I don't like sending lines into my cabin since there is always a chance something will get pinched somewhere...

Also mechanicals normally don't have things like peak hold, also since it is getting a direct feed from the tube the movement is going to be more erratic and not as smooth as an electronic sender...

My .02

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good points MicMcKee... Thanks

That doesn't make too much sense to install a Cheap Cheap gauge, and I have not really decided on Mech or Elec gauge. I just have a hard time justifying $250 - $300 on a guage. Although I did spend $600 on a DP ;D If I was running AutoX or Time Attack, that is different. My REX is a daily driver and I am looking for a good reliable guage that I don't have to take a second mortgage out on my home...

I want to pick one up in the next week or so, cause I am getting a PROTune on the 26th ;D and then I am really going to want one!

You are using the premiuim prosport electric. What made you choose that guage?

·
Registered
0 Posts

That doesn't make too much sense to install a Cheap Cheap gauge, and I have not really decided on Mech or Elec gauge. I just have a hard time justifying 0 - 0 on a guage. Although I did spend 0 on a DP ;D If I was running AutoX or Time Attack, that is different. My REX is a daily driver and I am looking for a good reliable guage that I don't have to take a second mortgage out on my home...

I want to pick one up in the next week or so, cause I am getting a PROTune on the 26th ;D and then I am really going to want one!

how abt the PLX DM200 scangauge.. i think that might be cheaper.. but its just readings and nothing else..
let me know what you think abt it..

·
Registered
159 Posts
Wow REX that is very clean

·
Super Moderator
2,745 Posts

That doesn't make too much sense to install a Cheap Cheap gauge, and I have not really decided on Mech or Elec gauge. I just have a hard time justifying 0 - 0 on a guage. Although I did spend 0 on a DP ;D If I was running AutoX or Time Attack, that is different. My REX is a daily driver and I am looking for a good reliable guage that I don't have to take a second mortgage out on my home...

It had peek hold and warnings, I'd also heard good things about them...

It wasn't too expensive but was worlds over glowshift haha...

Honestly I always have that on and my AP at my hip either reading intake temp or boost...

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
That is very nice. Could you take a pic of how the connection from under the steering wheel looks like? I always seem to hit my knee every time I get out of the car, caused me to uninstall and reinstall the AP several times already. Were you able to make this more flush?

·
Super Moderator
2,745 Posts

I LOVE VELCRO!!!

most mechanical gauges are out of calibration by the time they get installed it seems. i choose.. run what ya brung.
At first I thought that was 12.6MPG and I was boggled, then I noticed you're running Celsius and kilometers haha

·
Registered
4,657 Posts

I LOVE VELCRO!!!

most mechanical gauges are out of calibration by the time they get installed it seems. i choose.. run what ya brung.
Wow, I never thought of putting it there. It looks perfect and I bet you can see it really easily, now to find somewhere else to put the OBDII port so I don't constantly hit the AP connector with my foot/leg. I'm getting some strong velcro tomorrow, hah.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey REX that looks clean... THANKS for giving me something else to think about ::)

Just kiddin man!!!

Hey have you updated your Cobb Firmware lately, oh wait you are still in the desert arn't you?

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
hey lefty,

i have been back home for a week now but i think i picked up a strain of the saharan bird flu. the curse of the seven snotty orphans! the ap works great in that location except for.... i have to unplug it and put it away all the time. hook it up again and go to BOOST under live feed. the thoughts of having that ap stolen while it is married to the car would be awful. i can understand you wanting a permanently dedicated gauge. even if you get a mechanical gauge and it is out by 2 - 3 psi, you can just factor that into the equation. time to update my firmware today after i store that 1970 monte carlo of mine for the winter.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I just bought one of the PRO Sport 52mm Premium Electric Boost Gauge.

COME ON USPS!!!!!

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
I like electrical since some of them do the startup sweep ;D

The mechanicals are nice since it's so easy to hookup though.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I got the Defi Red Racer ... for free bahahha Thank you ebay for the $200 coupon lol. And wanted that one also because of the quality and it matches the dash pretty good besides the red needle. And it does the start up sweep with the dash so. I have an AP and hardly use the thing. Def selling that thing soon and going opensauce.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts