Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine Noise "POP" when accelorating after pushing the clutch and burning smell!

I haven't owned a manual car since my 01 Imprezza Sport Wagon... My last car was a MB C230 Kompressor, it was an automatic... This new 08 WRX is different and trying to get in the swing of owning a manual again... I would hate to be breaking something on my lack of driving a stick.... It just started to do this and it comes and goes.... Right now it is doing it more often becasue it is about -30 degrees out. When I push in the clutch to accelerate there is a delay and then a slight little popping noise. Also lately my car smells like it is burning something when I go to take off. It also smells like rotten eggs, very weird… I am not sure if I am toasting the clutch or what, my RPMs are normal and everything seems to engage fine so I am confused. Called the dealer he said that they spray undercoating and maybe it is burning off… well I doubt this because I have had the car almost two months now so… Appreciate any advice... I am not a gear head so basic terminology would be greatly appreciated as well... Brake out the crayons if you have to...

·
Registered
421 Posts
Re: Engine Noise "POP" when accelorating after pushing the clutch and burning smell!

i'm sorry. no experience with that. I don't experience -30 here...

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Re: Engine Noise "POP" when accelorating after pushing the clutch and burning smell!

Sorry bro, No clue what that could be. At -30 just about everything is frozen.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Re: Engine Noise "POP" when accelorating after pushing the clutch and burning sm

Do you have a block warmer, You might be having issues with the oil getting too cold.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Re: Engine Noise "POP" when accelorating after pushing the clutch and burning sm

does it only smell after you "take off"? how about after a drive, pop the hood and take a wiff of the hot engine. brand new engines smell like crap when theyre hot as all the materials/adhesives etc. heat up/burn off for the first time. do you allow a little time for warmup before driving it?

·
Registered
646 Posts

hey man mine does the same thing. i thought i was burning the clutch to but having never owned an auto i thought i was better at that. mines only got 400 miles on it so im taking it as everything is breaking in and different material coatings and such are burning off.. but there is a hesitation, especially if im holding my brake, i let off and even if im on a hill it stays in the spot then it stops after like a sec. i thought it was a feature to help on hills and stuff but i dont know, the popping makes me think its not

·
Registered
2,522 Posts

Have the dealer check it out... Maybe they know something about that... Haven't had that problem, sorry.

·
Registered
13 Posts

I had a burning smell when it was brand new, bu get to about 1000 miles and it should be gone by then, if not you may be riding teh clutch...i had a problem with my clutch it poped when i was turing it on and needed a new cluth AND flywheel but if u can still drive it thats probably not the problem, but i would call the dealer

·
Registered
537 Posts

hey man mine does the same thing. i thought i was burning the clutch to but having never owned an auto i thought i was better at that. mines only got 400 miles on it so im taking it as everything is breaking in and different material coatings and such are burning off.. but there is a hesitation, especially if im holding my brake, i let off and even if im on a hill it stays in the spot then it stops after like a sec.

i thought it was a feature to help on hills and stuff but i dont know, the popping makes me think its not
Ya the 5 speeds come with a hill/brake assit feature where the breaks stay on for about a second to give you time move your foot over from the brake to the gas. I think it is only on if your car is on a incline/decline of a certain grade.

·
Registered
198 Posts

thats funny, I am smelling the burning smell and the eggs, the burning smell i assumed was me either breaking in the breaks or engine / me learning the clutch, and i thought the eggs was one of my buddies busting ass.

but your not alone. i dont have a popping sound though so idk what that is...

·
Registered
267 Posts

hey man mine does the same thing. i thought i was burning the clutch to but having never owned an auto i thought i was better at that. mines only got 400 miles on it so im taking it as everything is breaking in and different material coatings and such are burning off.. but there is a hesitation, especially if im holding my brake, i let off and even if im on a hill it stays in the spot then it stops after like a sec. i thought it was a feature to help on hills and stuff but i dont know, the popping makes me think its not
The brakes ARE being held. The new chassis has hill assist which holds the brakes for some length of time that i don't recall... But yes, it will take some getting used to.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts

zombie thread!!!

brought back from the dead.... lol
Yeah user Zombie answered this question awhile back.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts