Subaru WRX Forums banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Apparently CT havent done a turbo upgrade tune on an 08 yet..... Made me wonder. anyway its not rocket science they apply the same tuning principles regardless the mods. Monitor Key areas of AFR/Knock/Injector Duty and keep winding up until they get close to the limit on one of them, leaving a safety buffer that allows the ECU to still protect the engine. Aaaaaaanyway, I have already ordered my Turbo, wasnt worth GB'ing it as these guys are cheap already. Today is the last day of the Discount and free shipping on the TD05H 8cm-18G http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Kinugawa-Turbo-SUBARU-Liberty-GT-WRX-08-TD05H-18G-8cm-/290546963496?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43a5f2d428

Otherwise I would have been in on a GB!

Sparky

·
Registered
92 Posts
Have you fitted the turbo yet? Is it better than the MY09 VF52?

I am wondering whether to buy it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hasnt arrived yet! Look at it this way. Subaru had a crisis when the 08 WRX got the 'soft' label from the press (& and the market! going by sales numbers) so with their essentially no budget R&D they would have done lots of work and come up with the VF52 as the turbo for the 09+ that could hit the target power and do it reliably whilst being a simple production line changeover.Their goals were a reliable 195 Kw At the flywheel.

I would buy a used VF52 if it were cheaper than a brand new-warrantied equivalent non OEM unit, but when doing my research, I found more headroom for power expansion whilst meeting all my modest performance targets from a TD05 18G Based Turbo while not sacrificing much bottom end pickup.

Having said that there is merit when selling your car to be able to say 'Genuine 09 WRX Turbo Upgrade' although thats not going to help your day to day fun factor.

i pondered over this for a long time, and Prefer new to used especially at the price, but at the end of the day the motives for which turbo your chose are with you. If I did trackwork then spool wouldnt really be an issue, and I would get a big fat TD06 20G+ or something else, but I dont and I keep it real by telling myself that I am probably never going to - so the turbo I picked hopefully works out for me! I expect it will be here in a week. will put up pics and some notes when I put it in.

Sparky

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hmmm...where are you planning to tune yours?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Its not for everyone, but I will be doing my own road tunes once this turbo arrives. I have the equipment/software/knowledge to do custom maps and flashes now.
Having Said that chiptorque would be my choice as I have an ezy-flash and they are my closest tuner (1.5 Hrs up from Byron)
Several tuners in your area will do a custom dyno tune for about $900 but you dont get any take home module to reflash to valet mode, low boost mode etc... when you need to which the chiptorque ezyflash does.

Sparky

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
To confrirm - the GB closes next friday they 15th

He has suggested chiptorque to us Brisvegas residents. Which is good, already have their easy flash.

Fish - we should book our cars in the same day and spend a day on the coast.....

·
Registered
92 Posts
Am currently talking to them about it - Sparky mentioned they have not done an aftermarket turbo for an MY08 yet, just waiting to talk to Matt.

Also, I wonder if a day is enough time for them to install 2 x TMIC, 2 x Downpipe + whatever turbo I decide to go with, then custom tune both cars...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Think I got cold feet ont the TMIC (pun intended)....

If anyone offers me enough I will sell it to them with the turbo pipe add on...

41 - 48 of 48 Posts