Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 248 Posts

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

UPDATE 10/4/2011:
New numbers after installing a PnP manifold and getting revised tunes (all new 93 tune), both on a DynoJet:

315whp/350wtq
-E85 378whp/445wtq

"Junior Tuned" at P&L Motorsports, Chicago, IL

-IHI VF48 Swap
-Walbro 255
-Witch Hunter ~820cc injectors
-TurboXS FMIC
-TurboXS CAI
-Forge BPV
-GMS Radiator Shroud
-PnP Exhaust Manifold
-Tsudo Divorced Wastegate Catless Downpipe
-CNT 3" Single Exhaust
-Protuned on both 93 and E85
-GrimmSpeed 3-Port EBCS
-Rotella T6 Synthetic 5w-40

Drivetrain / Suspension
-GroupN Engine Mounts
-Kartboy Pitch Stop Mount
-South Bend HD-OFE Clutch (Stage 2 Endurance)
-Kartboy Short Shifter
-Kartboy Front and Rear Shifter Bushings
-Whiteline Transmission Crossmember Bushings
-Whiteline 24mm Adjustable FR Sway Bar
-Whiteline 22mm Adjustable RR Sway Bar
-RalliTek HD Endlinks FR and RR
-GroupN Transmission Mount
-BC Racing Coilovers
-Motul Gear 300 75w-90

Cosmetic / Handling / Exterior
-Premium Front Bumper
-TRS Retrofitted Bi-Xenon Lights w/ Phillips D2S Bulbs 4300K
-DDM 3000K HID Fog Lights w/ Headlight Armor Yellow Overlays
-CF Grill
-Treble Racing CF Eyelids
-Treble Racing Taillight Overlays (Red)
-Window Trim Painted Black (Vinyl waiting to be put on when paint starts to fail...holding strong for 2 years+)
-Rota DPT 17X9 et42 w/ General 245/40/17's (new tires coming in the spring)
-De-badged
-Grillcraft Black Lower Grill Mesh

Interior / Electronics
-AEM UEGO Wideband AFR Gauge
-ProSport Premium Boost Gauge
-ProSport Premium Oil Pressure Gauge
-SMY Gauge Cluster
-Various Sound Deadening / Rattle Fixes

Braking (Waiting to be Installed)
-STi Brembos in the works

Next on the List
-Whiteline Rear Differential Inserts
-Whiteline Rear Subframe Inserts
-Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings

I guess that's it for now. I'll try to be better about updating this thread as the build continues and plans change.

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts
Re: Eric's 2008 WRX Sedan Build Journal

nice start eric! i'm glad more and more of these are popping up now for those of us working to establish our personal builds. g'luck to you and i look forward to the progress!

·
Registered
2,252 Posts

I agree with monkiboy and that it sounds like you have great plans. I am about to transform my car, so to speak, in 2 weeks. So maybe all of us who have done serious modifications to our cars can inspire others to waste their monies! :D

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Not to take away from the VF52 upgrade, but I just want to do something different. I'm only gonna spend about $200 more on the FMIC, but it will open up nearly unlimited turbo options. With the LGT style TMIC's you are pretty much limited to the TD04, VF40/46, VF52, and AVO ($$$$$) turbos.

The biggest issue for me, at the moment, is finding time for all this. I have been so busy at work lately, I don't have much time to mess around with the car. The up side to that is that all the extra time at work means affording car parts is a lot easier ;D

I'll post updates, and update the original post as I make progress.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update - Parts Ordered

Hey guys just a quick update!

Ordered some more goodies last night. Ordered a TurboXS FMIC as well as a Gimmick Motorsports turbo inlet hose (I figure its worth a try) and after maf hose. I also ordered a Forge recirculating BPV. It comes with different springs so you can adjust it to hold up to 30psi. It is fully recirculating, so no need to worry about a blow through maf or running rich during bypass.

Only things left to order are TGV deletes, and my EWG setup. I'm starting to get excited about it ;D

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Eric's 2008 WRX Sedan Build Journal *Update* Parts Ordered

Nice!
Just another quick update. I installed my Walbro 255 just to get it out of the way. I also installed the TXS intake (because I have the Torqued Performance tun for it). I figure I'll do everything I can now, that way there is less to do on "turbo swap day" lol. My FMIC came in today, so I will probably put that on on my next days off.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts

Congrats on the build so far! I found the front mount install a very rewarding experience. You'll have fun. Just a heads up though, you'll have to dremel out the holes on the replacement bumper beam that mount the core. They don't quite line up. Other than that (and a little trimming of the bottom fender liner by the driver side foglight) it was smooth sailing!

I'm looking forward to more updates!

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thanks for the heads up! Between trimming the fuel pump housing, and trimming for the FMIC install, my Dremel will get quite a work out! I'm looking forward to installing the FMIC, I just wish I had the power to back up the look :-\ I'm hoping to get the EWG setup ordered in the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
437 Posts

Your car is looking great Gravy. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update - FMIC Installed

Quick update - I installed my FMIC yesterday, and worked out all the kinks today :D Currently, I'm just running it on the stock turbo and TP stage 2 tune. I just wanted to get it installed so there is less to do later. Here is one pic... I'll post some more pics of the install later when I get back to my apartment in Chicago where the internet is much faster. For now:

A big thanks to monkiboy for the super fast replies to my PM's with questions!

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Well, looks like I might have to delay this a little. When I got in my car to drive back to chicago, I noticed my clutch pedal vibrates when I engage the clutch. I can also hear a faint but noticeable "scraping" noise. Once it is fully engaged, its fine, and the car drives fine. There is no slipping at all. This is something that just started today. I've been driving the car everyday for the last few days, and it JUST started doing it this afternoon. I'm not really sure what could cause it. I never "beat" on my car. I've always been especially respectful of the drivetrain, so I doubt it is something I did. Hopefully its something simple, and I can continue with this build.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts

Nice photo and welcome to the fmic on stock turbo club!

Sorry to hear about your clutch issues. Fingers crossed its a nice simple warranty fix!

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

From doing a little research on here, it sounds a little like the cracked firewall issue that some other '08 owners had in the past. The more I drive it, the more I think that it isn't the clutch itself because I can also feel it in the brake pedal. I only notice it at certain RPM's (very low...<1000) and on start up. I'm also starting to think that the engine vibration caused at a low RPM is causing part of a FMIC pipe to vibrate against a part of the engine bay, causing the vibration in the feet. I guess we'll see. For now, I plan on continuing the build as planned.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Also, I'm gonna take the car to my friend's shop in a couple days, put it up on a lift, and check all the engine/transmission mounts. Can't rule anything out.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts

i got a terrible vibrating from my clutch pedal and steering wheel the day before my pressure plate went to shit

1 - 20 of 248 Posts